Gran Tursimo 7: Frequently Mentioned Issues and Wants. & What Needs to be Done.

Is it time for Standard Cars to be brought up to current generation expectations?

• Yes, they should be updated, they effect the game and/or gameplay experience in a larger way.

• Yes, they should be updated, but it is manageable and only slightly effects game/gameplay.

• No, they should not be updated, there are other issues that are more important.

• No, It does not effect the game or gameplay experience and does not make a difference.

• Does not matter, I do not notice a difference and wouldn't notice a big change in the game/gameplay.

Results are only viewable after voting.
United States
United States
CaptainNuggets
The Series Needs Something
As most of you know, The Gran Tursimo Series is continuing with the PlayStation 4. I think we can all agree that some of us, if not most of us, Gran Turismo fans have been gradually disappointed with the step from Gran Turismo 5 to Gran Turismo 6 and it seems, so far, it is all for similar reasons between all of us.

First thing I would like to mention is Standard Cars vs. Premium Cars. This has come up multiple times, more frequently than needed, but yet nothing seems to change. My personal take on this subject is it needs to diminish. I don't find anything "Next Gen" about some cars with 1st generation Textures and interiors that are less than "simple".
"I doubt that we'll be throwing away the standard cars," said Yamauchi, "Each car has its own fans. So I think we'll hang on to the archive. In the meanwhile, some of those cars we may be able to make into Premium cars as they become available - but basically we're more focussed on increasing the number of premium cars."
This to me is becoming unacceptable, I understood their purpose in the Original release of GT5, and even though disappointed with their appearance in GT6, i Understood the problem there as well. Not with the release of GT7 soon in the future, Its unacceptable. We have the Next Generation Consoles and We are still expected to play with textures from a system 2 generations old. I think we, as a community, can agree that it might even be better to see a slightly lower quality textured interior than the less than "simple" interior we currently see in GT6.
With Comments like "There had better be more than 500 premium models." and "Standard Models are ruining the experience." from the community. I'm not quite sure how much longer some of us will be hanging around before we move on to other games providing what we expect of our racing games (which isn't much and has been proven by many titles to be possible: Forza, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, ect) What are your guys' thoughts and opinions on Standard Cars?

Second, I want to mention Sounds, as it has been mentioned before, and many people seem to have an issue with them. We all enjoy our custom music playlists, the little noises our menus make on selection that just scream "Gran Turismo" but... I could have sworn the 240sx and the S2000 shouldn't sound similar. At all. I don't personally find it as big of an issue, But I know it bothers many. But for the love of cars, just get the basic sounds right. I want the SR20 to sound like an SR20, and a 454 to sound like a 454.
Sony has done a decent job on 3d sound and environmental aspects of sound, some things like enclosed areas such as tunnels could use improvement on the distortions of the sounds. One other issue i have with sounds is I find turbo whistle and blow off valves to be a bit quiet and the transmission has a whining sound that is very obnoxious, Most noticeable when fitted with a transmission other than stock. Do you guys find it an issue and what do want to be improved from sounds?

Third, Swaps. Yea, you know what I'm talking about. That RB26 powered Skyline R32 and That RWD Skyline R34. I mean, come on. For a while that was the mod life in GT5, It actually sparked interest back into the game after it began to die down. Everyone has a car they they want built but its never complete without the Heart and Lungs to the car. When you decide to build a car, you think of the engine type you want and the type of driving its for. I hear this from everyone, We all want it. but will it ever be done? Its really not possible to answer as polyphony is very capable of this but also has a side to them that seems to ignore suggestions like this from the community. Do you guys think this will/could happen to appear as a new feature?

Last, Customization. People have mentioned this far too many times. This topic will be covered in two separate sub-topics.
  • First topic is physical body modifications such as body kits.
I have had many conversations with people from the community about this subject, "I wish there was body kits", "there should be a wide variety of kits", "Will we ever get some cool body kits?". My personal thought to this is it should be a strong thought. Yes, Currently there are simple Aero Kits that sometimes don't seem to add much "personalization" or looks to any of the cars aside from a few. More often than not the selection between Aero Kit A and Aero Kit B isn't a hard decision. You get the choice between a front lip, and a front lip with "racing fins". A bit disappointing in most cases. I would like to have the option to put some C-West bumpers and side skirts on my circuit car or trick out my drift car with some BN Sports bumpers and skirts, but its not a necessity to me. As much as I'd love to have these there are bigger issues like standard cars (in my opinion) that need to be taken care of first.

• Second, paints. This also covers and issue I have.
You just bought yourself a new car and now you want to put it in your dream color and go race around with your friends, take some pictures, do some AI racing. Oh wait, you just went through 1000+ colors and you cant find that perfect color to make the car "your car". The game has so many colors yet not so many colors at the same time, I was unaware of there being so many "Black" or "Cherry Red" colors in which the have the same name and same exact shade of color but exist 10+ times as a separate "Paint Chip". So now that you can't find the color, the only way to get it is doing some specific special events or buying a car that comes in the color from the factory in the color that you want to have. Pretty obnoxious if you ask me. Short and Simple, They need to give you all the colors from the start and allow you to filter through them depending on basic colors, shade, ect., Or my first choice would be let us paint cars (and rims) using some sort of Color wheel or custom paint slide and then choosing its texture and secondary color if needed by the texture.

• Last but not least, Decals or Liveries, or Stickers. Whatever you want to call them.
Yes, Decals. Flames, shapes, tribal designs, ect. Yea, No. Not happening in my opinion. Its a wonderful feature in Forza that I think could do well in the GT series, but I just don't ever see it making an appearance. I could be proven otherwise someday. As far as I'm concerned, I just dont see it happening, Sorry guys. Not much to discuss here.

What questions do you guys have? Leave your opinions and questions in the comments below. (try to make them decently brief and please be respectful)

Please answer the pole question. Its to settle what I find to be the most frequently mentioned subject, I'm just curious to know what everyone's thoughts are on the subject.

Some extra thoughts and comments about PD and the GT series
A few comments about Polyphony Digital whether they ever see this post and read some thoughts from the community. I think the real reason we aren't seeing a change in the game as far a making a step to becoming a better game is because they are stuck to much on the quantity of things than the quality of their content. I want to quote a few comments anonymously that I have read in multiple news feeds from multiple sites just in case there's any chance (1 in a million) that someone from Polyphony Digital sees this while looking for community feed back. Anonymous users:
  • ",the problem is the way PD works, and the inefficient "one man one car" mentality. PD should at least take the standard cars that matter and make them premium."
  • "Hoprfully with the ps4 they can fix and improve the physics and the sound among other things. On a positive note GT has always been a fully featured game when compared to most games in its genre"
  • "Get rid of standard cars, a remanent of GT4, a PS2 game."
  • "This franchise is getting repetitive, and games like project cars are looking more promising"
  • "All I have to say is improve the sounds and get rid of standard cars"
  • "Gran Tursimo has the potential to be the ultimate racing game but only if we start to get the features we are looking for"

I agree with wanting to have improved sounds and customization. However, as stated before, GT7 is likely to have standard cars, but the number of standard cars will lessen as most of them would likely become premium.

Other wants that I've heard of are an event creator, for the possibility of extra re-playability of the game, where people can make the restrictions to their liking, and also is a good way to earn fast cash. What would also be good with that is the ability to share custom-made events to the world. Also qualifying modes before races, where players compete for pole position.

Ever since GT5, arcade mode in GT was starting to deteriorate. It is mainly because not all cars are there at the start of arcade mode, or at the very least, made into a similar way to add cars to arcade mode like GT3/GT4. Instead, in GT6, PD put 20 cars for arcade mode, and only had the ability to put 200 cars into favorites, which are garage-only cars. GT7 deserves an arcade mode just like GT3 and GT4, but significantly better and more diverse, with more freedom into the game.

Career mode in GT7 must go back to the good old days, where it would be like GT4 or GT5. But this time B-Spec should be optional, with one-make races per manufacturer. In GT6, some people were complaining that career mode was too short.

Lastly, I agree with most other people that GT7 should be a complete game on its release, not like how GT6 was, where it was missing so many features and most of them were in the updates we had to download, and some will hopefully come to us.

I agree with wanting to have improved sounds and customization. However, as stated before, GT7 is likely to have standard cars, but the number of standard cars will lessen as most of them would likely become premium.

PD modeled about 400 unique premium cars in 10 years after GT4. I don't get how so many GTP members casually throw that statement around or something similar, "most of them would likely become premium". Converting 800 standards to true premiums, not just brushed up standards with no interiors, represents 20 years worth of modeling work for PD at historical rates.

PD modeled about 400 unique premium cars in 10 years after GT4. I don't get how so many GTP members casually throw that statement around or something similar, "most of them would likely become premium". Converting 800 standards to true premiums, not just brushed up standards with no interiors, represents 20 years worth of modeling work for PD at historical rates.

I will say they did do a very detailed job on their interiors but I feel even though they did 400 from GT4 to GT5, it just seems they need to step up their game and reduce the amount of standard cars by more than half at this point in order to keep up with upcoming games. theres technically less than 800 standards as most are duplicates so it really wouldn't take much but copy and past for a majority and then the rest would need their own individual interiors made, but like the Supra RZ and SZ both have the same interior so a simple copy and paste would do. and the 10 different s2000's would pretty much all be copy paste.

I just think at this point with Project CARS and Forza putting more amounts of Interior detailed cars in their games PD needs to get a team to start workin on bringing games up to the "next gen" standards.

Other wants that I've heard of are an event creator, for the possibility of extra re-playability of the game, where people can make the restrictions to their liking, and also is a good way to earn fast cash. What would also be good with that is the ability to share custom-made events to the world. Also qualifying modes before races, where players compete for pole position.

Ever since GT5, arcade mode in GT was starting to deteriorate. It is mainly because not all cars are there at the start of arcade mode, or at the very least, made into a similar way to add cars to arcade mode like GT3/GT4. Instead, in GT6, PD put 20 cars for arcade mode, and only had the ability to put 200 cars into favorites, which are garage-only cars. GT7 deserves an arcade mode just like GT3 and GT4, but significantly better and more diverse, with more freedom into the game.

Career mode in GT7 must go back to the good old days, where it would be like GT4 or GT5. But this time B-Spec should be optional, with one-make races per manufacturer. In GT6, some people were complaining that career mode was too short.

Lastly, I agree with most other people that GT7 should be a complete game on its release, not like how GT6 was, where it was missing so many features and most of them were in the updates we had to download, and some will hopefully come to us.

I agree, I'm hoping PD does something to really step up their game. And standard cars have already been confirmed for GT7 which was part of my point of the standard car thing. I just hope they step it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. My opinions about of Standard Cars are: I enjoy playing a lot of GT4, and I like the cars. I know that standard cars will stay in GT7, but the number of standard cars will probably reduce, because the some of them might be converted to the premium. I would like to see all cars with detailed interiors. In my opinion, all cars must be converted to the premium, but the standard cars must not be thrown away. Because the standard cars, although from GT4, they bring memories to me... For example, I used to drive several favourite cars of mine like the Skyline Type M '91, Pescarolo Judd GVS Race Car '05, Formula GT and Gillet Vertigo.

2. For the sounds: PD has ruined the sounds for the most of cars, especially for WRC cars. I would like to hear the real sound of all cars, especially for rally cars, because if the real sound is putted in GT7, then I'll feel that I'm driving in a real car.

For example, an Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI Rally Car:
GT6

Real Sound (Outside + Onboard)

3. Customization

3.1- Body Kits ----> I would like to see all body kits available for every car so we can give it a better racing look and better appearance of the car like NFS; For example, this red RSX:
Need%252520For%252520Speed%252520Underground%2525202%2525202013-04-19%25252010-11-52-46_thumb%25255B1%25255D.png

And the Subaru Impreza with C-West Body Kit:
0c695d2f_17820.jpeg

Colors -----> You are right about the colors; I think that we should get all paint chips from the start so we don't have to buy all cars from the dealership. In GT5, when we would paint our cars in our selected paint chip, this selected paint chip disappeared, but in GT6 does not. I think that we should paint our cars in our selected paint chips and remain the selected paint chip in Paint Inventory. I also agree with 2nd part: PD should let us paint our cars anywhere, including the windows, the spoilers, the mirrors and many more! But we should put an different colour on each side, too! For example, a Peugeot 206 which is in silver colour with Black Stripes.

main.php

We should put stripes not only on the front bumper, but also from the side doors... For example, an Renault Clio S 2010 has an stripe of S on side doors:

Renault%20Clio%20S

Decals ------> You're right about decals: PD should let us add the decals on our cars not only for door sides, but also for bumpers and on top of the cars. Here's 3 examples of decals:

A Honda Accord Coupe has an decal on front hood:
cardecals-27.jpg

The side blue decals in a Nissan Skyline GT-R R33:
Car-Graphics-And-Stickers.jpg

The examples of decals:
logos.jpg
images
decals-for-carscar-decals-and-graphics-autoetco-8f8vcmfv.jpg

But we must not forget about the flames:
250112521_0f5c6df438.jpg

A Chevrolet camaro with black color with flames.

Stickers ------------> Stickers would be an nice idea to add. Specially, adding stickers like the Subaru Forester, for example...

bumper-car-cropped-medium1.jpg

This car has an Barack Obama stickers.

Another example of putting stickers is a VW Bus with Peace Stickers:
Catch+the+Bus+Peace+VW+Bus.jpg

Imagine if we could add the stickers: It would be awesome.

Liveries --------------> It is very important that PD adds the Livery Editor for GT7, not only because it is great, but also the indentifications of drivers' cars would be easier.

For example:
For fun:

For a championship:
forza_4_pocky_celica_rally_2_by_thefishe77-d53mb51.jpg

I believe that GT can become an better game than it is right now, but it is never too late to become a better game. I'll keep supporting PD because GT is an great game and it was the first franchise of videogame in PS2. I'll buy and play GT7 as long as PD adds more features and satisfy the community.

You guys are kidding right? Do you still care for standards really? I mean there are more important things to improve like physics, sounds, AI, livery, damage not standard cars... Yea, I'd like to have them premiumized but come on...

...............I clicked after seeing the thread title and thought "this should be mine-field fun fest!" but then I saw the poll and.....almost lost all interest. Is this thread about yet another "standard car" debate?
My stance has been the same: drop the standards altogether, only re-introduce a few "iconic" cars when they are ready. GT series will survive culling of 700 or so of cars. What it won't survive is game itself not being good enough. And that means pretty much the same things many in these forums bang on about: improved AI, sound, physics, career mode, online stability, no MT (from me!)......oh and I forgot - B-spec, course generator, etc, etc.

The "Upgrade the Supra RZ to Premium and Add the E30."

Not trying to be rude, but it feels like you leave this comment everywhere. Seriously.

This is a fairly long post, by the way.

I don't think GT7 needs a car list of 1200+ cars. We would suffice with about 500-750 cars when the game launches, and if PD wants to, they could add cars to the game whenever they update the cars to premium. PD could choose these cars by contacting the community so cars that are most wanted are not left out of the final product.

I don't really care about the standards, aside from the really ugly ones, like the Alto. Textures like that on a game that was released in 2013 is unacceptable.

Get rid of all of the Skyline and Miata/MX-5 duplicates. I'm pretty sure that the duplicates alone take up more than 100 spaces on GT6's car list.

If a standard car has special options (e.g. the MX-5/Miata stripes), give an option to have them on the premium cars.

Sounds. We always hear that GT's cars sound like vacuum cleaners, and some of the cars do sound very bad. However, PD seem to improving in this. Every VGT that has been released after the Subaru, the 97T, the LFA's and the Red Bull cars sound pretty amazing in my opinion. When GT6 (or GT7, if it isn't released on GT6) gets the McLaren P1, I would expect it to have a half decent car sound, or something as good as Forza's and P.Cars' rendition of the P1's Twin turbo V8. I don't want the P1 to sound like a Mustang. If we get the LaFerrari, PD, I don't want a ricey sound to accompany it. I want a 9000rpm monster.

Paint. I don't like our way of getting new paints at the moment. One of the Toyota GT-86 concepts has some of the coolest colours in the game, but the car costs 500,000 credits. That isn't very cool. I don't want to spend 500,000 of my hard earned credits on paint. Also, when I won a Huayra from the latest seasonal, I was fairly annoyed that I didn't get bare carbon as a paint chip. If PD decide to stay with the paint chips idea, let us keep every paint chip. Seriously, was I the only one annoyed with this? If we are going to abandon the paint chips idea, adopt Forza's was of choosing colours.

Livery Editor. I'm pretty sure a large amount of GT's community really want a livery editor. I don't really think I need to expand on this one. Let us unleash our creativity!

Desirable Cars: PD. This one is fairly disappointing. If I remember correctly, the last actual production car we got was the Nissan GT-R Nismo. You need to have some kind of PR team to look at the suggestions on here. A good example is the E30 M3. It has over 1000 likes. Honestly, it confuses me as to why we don't have this car yet- it seems fairly obvious that the community want it, so you should make an effort to add it to the game.

Drivetrain/Aspiration/Engine Swaps: This could appeal to gamers. The drifting community would also love this. Last time I checked, you could only do things like this in the Forza franchise and in the Need For Speed Shift franchise (The swaps were weird though- A LFA'S V10 in a Supra? EA? Really?) I've always wanted to make a RWD GT-R. I want to give my 458 twin turbos. I want to give my S2000 an LS2. Allowing us to do this could broaden the horizons of the gamers.

Course Maker. Hotly anticipated, yet it still hasn't arrived. I honestly thought it would be here by Christmas, but they haven't. I mean, even GTA Online got Heists before we're getting the Course Maker- and they were delayed by more than a year. Also, it would be nice for us to make an actual track. Not a style that is reminiscent of GT5's Course Maker. This could give the community a way to create tracks that haven't been implemented/added to the game yet.

I think I've covered enough. Also, if you did read all of this, thank you.

Not trying to be rude, but it feels like you leave this comment everywhere. Seriously.

This is a fairly long post, by the way.

I don't think GT7 needs a car list of 1200+ cars. We would suffice with about 500-750 cars when the game launches, and if PD wants to, they could add cars to the game whenever they update the cars to premium. PD could choose these cars by contacting the community so cars that are most wanted are not left out of the final product.

I don't really care about the standards, aside from the really ugly ones, like the Alto. Textures like that on a game that was released in 2013 is unacceptable.

Get rid of all of the Skyline and Miata/MX-5 duplicates. I'm pretty sure that the duplicates alone take up more than 100 spaces on GT6's car list.

If a standard car has special options (e.g. the MX-5/Miata stripes), give an option to have them on the premium cars.

Sounds. We always hear that GT's cars sound like vacuum cleaners, and some of the cars do sound very bad. However, PD seem to improving in this. Every VGT that has been released after the Subaru, the 97T, the LFA's and the Red Bull cars sound pretty amazing in my opinion. When GT6 (or GT7, if it isn't released on GT6) gets the McLaren P1, I would expect it to have a half decent car sound, or something as good as Forza's and P.Cars' rendition of the P1's Twin turbo V8. I don't want the P1 to sound like a Mustang. If we get the LaFerrari, PD, I don't want a ricey sound to accompany it. I want a 9000rpm monster.

Paint. I don't like our way of getting new paints at the moment. One of the Toyota GT-86 concepts has some of the coolest colours in the game, but the car costs 500,000 credits. That isn't very cool. I don't want to spend 500,000 of my hard earned credits on paint. Also, when I won a Huayra from the latest seasonal, I was fairly annoyed that I didn't get bare carbon as a paint chip. If PD decide to stay with the paint chips idea, let us keep every paint chip. Seriously, was I the only one annoyed with this? If we are going to abandon the paint chips idea, adopt Forza's was of choosing colours.

Livery Editor. I'm pretty sure a large amount of GT's community really want a livery editor. I don't really think I need to expand on this one. Let us unleash our creativity!

Desirable Cars: PD. This one is fairly disappointing. If I remember correctly, the last actual production car we got was the Nissan GT-R Nismo. You need to have some kind of PR team to look at the suggestions on here. A good example is the E30 M3. It has over 1000 likes. Honestly, it confuses me as to why we don't have this car yet- it seems fairly obvious that the community want it, so you should make an effort to add it to the game.

Drivetrain/Aspiration/Engine Swaps: This could appeal to gamers. The drifting community would also love this. Last time I checked, you could only do things like this in the Forza franchise and in the Need For Speed Shift franchise (The swaps were weird though- A LFA'S V10 in a Supra? EA? Really?) I've always wanted to make a RWD GT-R. I want to give my 458 twin turbos. I want to give my S2000 an LS2. Allowing us to do this could broaden the horizons of the gamers.

Course Maker. Hotly anticipated, yet it still hasn't arrived. I honestly thought it would be here by Christmas, but they haven't. I mean, even GTA Online got Heists before we're getting the Course Maker- and they were delayed by more than a year. Also, it would be nice for us to make an actual track. Not a style that is reminiscent of GT5's Course Maker. This could give the community a way to create tracks that haven't been implemented/added to the game yet.

I think I've covered enough. Also, if you did read all of this, thank you.

You're welcome :) It was very inspirational and I possibly might get things ready in the next update. Maybe. I mean... It's not ruled out.

Kaz

:D

Standard cars made GT5 one of the most low quality and badly done racing games of this generation. We need game quality, a game that feels like a lot of effort and knowledge went into making it. I don't know how they got away with standards. I can't see how anyone in their right mind would think it's fine to add outdated models with jagged edges into a game.

A lot of what people have already said; vinyl/decal appliers, better sound, ridding of standard/premium etc. But for me a lot of little things will make R the happiest.
Split timing, I play a bit of LAN forza at a friend's time to time and I can't help but love how you get personal timing split, then the car ahead and car behind. In GT it has only ever shown you splits to the leader... Not so important when you're running at the back of a 16 car grid lol, GT7 will probably increase a lobby size over 16 so hopefully there will be some sort of change from GT1 this whole time lol.
In-race tuning along with live telemetry, actual temps for tyres, wear %, and fuel burn would make a great addition to our unknown world of testing haha, a long with some adjusted physics of course but I'm fairly happy with the overall feel of gt6.

Lastly for me just probably definitely a vinyl and decal editor. Makes for all our great Series on GTP and other forums/communities much more fun when you can further identify yourself and or your team and just to have fun with it and have that amazing looking race car you've always wanted to race.

Edit: oh and an improved career mode! Bring back driver levels!

Last edited:
Im looking forward to improved AI and to simulate some actual racing offline. And please, a believable tire model.
Also I think It would be comical if we get standards in gt7 and if the sound improvements are just what were hearing on the vgt cars... Whell there's still much room for improvement imo
Hopefully the pressure is felt and inspiration is sparked and pd step up or I may never buy a ps4.

Standard cars made GT5 one of the most low quality and badly done racing games of this generation. We need game quality, a game that feels like a lot of effort and knowledge went into making it. I don't know how they got away with standards. I can't see how anyone in their right mind would think it's fine to add outdated models with jagged edges into a game.

My thoughts exactly. With all the delays and the roll out of prologue just to get enough cash to stay afloat PDi really let us all down. In 2005/2006 I was pumped up for the release of GT5. I expected to be rid of standard cars then. Ten years later and we all have to deal with them after a big demo(GT5P which was a cash grab), 2 full releases, one of which is a cash grab, and now moving onto yet another console we may encounter more standards?:yuck::yuck::yuck:

Ridiculous to think that ten years ago I thought we would be done with standards. What is 2025 going to bring?

.... What is 2025 going to bring?

NOBODY SAY MORE 🤬 SKYLINES!!!:banghead:

Last edited:
NOBODY SAY MORE 🤬 SKYLINES!!!:banghead:

Try not to double post- the mods don't like that too much over here :). Edit your posts instead.

--

Well, in 2025, the R36 GT-R would have been released....so there will be more Skylines.

Try not to double post- the mods don't like that too much over here :). Edit your posts instead.

--

Well, in 2025, the R36 GT-R would have been released....so there will be more Skylines.

:rolleyes:

I feel it was warranted. Having a quote from the post I'm currently posting looks messed up. To each their own. I was for sure someone would say something about THE ALL CAPS GOING ON. Nice switch-a-roo:cheers:

Keep me on my toes.:boggled:

Latest Posts

Back