Grand Theft Lawsuit - Act Who-Really-Knows-Anymore: Psychic Readers Network vs. GTA: Vice City

Denmark
Upside-down in the final corner
rallymorten
I'm sorry, but this is just too ridiculous.

Eurogamer article

TMZ article

TL;DR, remember Auntie Poulet?

It turns out that now, 15 years after the release of Vice City, the Psychic Readers Network (PRN) have decided to take action because of an alleged similarity with american TV psychic Miss Cleo, otherwise known as Youree Harris.

Here's the plot twist: this being R* in the early 2000s, they actually hired Harris to do that character.

They say it's to protect the image of Miss Cleo, as Harris passed away last year.

My question to them is this: why didn't the ball start rolling last year then? Yes, GTA Vice City continues to be sold to this day, it got its 10th Anniversary edition a few years ago and so on and so forth, yes, they've made somewhere in the region of $500 million on it. But hasn't that been the case for the last, gee, 15 years or so?

R* responded to this faster than the makers of OpenIV responded to the initial CaD, saying: "These claims are entirely meritless and completely ridiculous. We will vigorously defend ourselves with regard to this matter."

And it gets better: not only did the lawsuit apparently came close-as-makes-no-difference exactly a year after Harris' death, but they apparently did something similar in 2015, when Harris appeared in an ad for a cereal product - the ad was then pulled because of those "similarities". In that case it actually makes sense, because she is actually playing Miss Cleo (example), but where the heck do those two words appear in Vice City?

I mean.. This is being overly protective to a level my parents can only dream of reaching. I sort of get the protect-the-brand part, but the person she was had a career as well, and a career where, ideally, she made whatever choices she saw fit. Besides, and I'll admit I haven't looked properly, I don't think there's a certain law that states that one can only have one role for their entire life. Apart from Scientology, obviously.

Before rounding this out, let's not forget the whole Lohan shenanigans. She sued for a somewhat similar reason - and lost. Precedent is that even if it's a parody, it's not ground for being sued.

Discuss.

Last edited:
Yep, you seemed to have covered it pretty well. Doesn't take a psychic to know who's going to win this case... Which clearly PRN isn't....

PRN need the money it's not the 90s or early 2000s, also sad it took them 15 years to hear about GTA: VC :sly:. Maybe Rockstar will do PRN a favor and send them a free up to date copy of GTA:5

Back