Grandea Reviews Games

As requested by @Niku Driver HC
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
Namco

6738_front.jpg

Released in December 1998 in Japan and 1999 NA & EU for the PSX

Rating: E

Genre: Racing

The 4th entry in the Ridge Racer series, as well as the last Ridge Racer game on the Playstation, R4 combines gameplay styles from both Ridge Racer & Rage Racer, but with a few significant changes.

So what is Ridge Racer?

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1091022014.jpg

Ridge Racer can be traced back to 1994 as an arcade game. All the games in the series except for Unbounded-

header.jpg

UGH.

Yeah, Unbounded. I want to forget that game for a moment.

*ahem* Anyway,

The core Ridge Racer games followed the same couple of rules:

- Go fast.
- Drift around corners.
- Win.

The thing about Ridge Racer was that compared to other racing games, Ridge Racer focused on going FAST, all while downplaying realism hard.

R4!

kGvisVf.png

In this review, we're starting off with Graphics, and I have a reason for that.

AxpqAFm.png

JpzAMyG.png

GQeDors.png

O6H59mx.png

YbdreIO.png

7tqLkqT.png

W5yaole.png

ipjvkX5.png

N7VkQxF.png

8jz5xw4.png

Ao6CmHw.png

9P2Hwup.png

8BXlNzc.png

TQureb1.png

z89gaB2.png

8SbSCJ2.png

Look at that. This game has by far one of the best intros in a PSX game in my opinion. The details, the visuals, just, wow.

Don't think that's the only detailed part of the game, because the detail is EVERYWHERE.

Ycfi81p.png

6amesEQ.png

esYXKIp.png

RROWsKr.png

6axJ5X6.png

The courses are aesthetically pleasing to my eyes, filled to the brim with details present within the environment, with moving lights, pictures, and helicopters!

This was also the first Ridge Racer game to have gouraud shading. For those who are interested in what that is, it's basically this:

300px-D3D_Shading_Modes.png

In-game, the shadows and other various lighting effects present around the car transition very smoothly.

NlIXvQr.png

The graphics in R4 can be comparable to that of Gran Turismo. Nice visuals without the loss of performance within the game.

WngP8Bk.png

GAMEPLAY

Being a racing game, R4 follows the same general rule: Make first place.

VPubBwN.png

In the Ridge Racer games however, the way you make it to the finish line is a tad bit, perhaps very, different from most racing games.

When you play Gran Turismo, there are many aspects you have to focus on: How late/early you engage the brake, how you take the corner, how far out you are taking a turn, what parts you have installed, what car you're driving, etc.

In R4, it's mostly more of: How fast are you approaching the corner, and what angle are you going while drifting the corner.

vpJeBc0.png

The Ridge Racer series, as stated earlier in the review, isn't about realism. This is in no way a racing simulator.

You can take a corner going at least 180+ MPH and still make it out in one piece, to sum the handling up.

When you choose a car, there are two types of cars available: GRIP, and DRIFT.

Grip is basically the equivalent of driving an X2014 in GT6 with Racing Softs (minus the power). It is very very difficult to drift this car, but why would you need to, when all you have to do is disengage the accelerator and just press left and right when you approach a hairpin? It's basically the easy mode of R4, and is the beginner's choice if they are playing this game for the first time.

Drift is the classic Ridge Racer handling style. The simplest way to engage a drift is to approach the corner, let off the accelerator, turn, then tap the gas. As much as it seems tricky to do, the player can catch on fast, and will eventually be a breeze to maintain as you progress through the game.

The fastest cars in the game are also DRIFT type cars, as they have can go through corners tighter than GRIP cars could, but when initially playing, it isn't that noticeable.

Speaking of cars, there's 321 of them, a much larger quantity compared to previous Ridge Racers combined.

latest

Granted, most of them are duplicates or more powerful versions of the base car, but Gran Turismo has stuff like that, so I'm not complaining.

Also, the game has a little bit of customization present within it, you can even make your own decals!

When you begin the game, you start off with very little cars, and you get more by going through races.

wG1oqsv.png

When you first begin Story mode, you first choose a team, followed by a manufacturer. There are four teams to choose from, and four manufacturers to choose from.

The unlock method is a little complex, as you can't obtain cars all the time by winning, you might just have to lose the race as well.

You can get 19 cars through one make-team combination, and in order to get all of them, well...

You begin the scenario with car number 01, and when you win first on both the first and second heats (final GP, you have to win first to continue), you get car number 05, 12, and 19.

Go second on both races in the first heat, but get first with the rest, you get 03, 10, and 17.

Get second in the first race, but first in the second within the first heat and go on from there, and you get 04, 11, and 18.

If you get third in the first race of the first heat, no matter what place you get in the second race, you will get car number 02.
Get second on both races of heat 2, then you get 06 and 13.
First then second, 07 and 14.
Second then first, 08 and 15.
First on both, 10 and finally 17.

*gasp*

Sweet baby Jesus.

It takes a lot of dedication to get all 321 of these cars, I'll say that.

MUSIC

Lemme tell you how great the music in this game is by giving you the playlist.

I don't really have much to say about the music, but it's one of my favourite VGOSTs of all time, right alongside Ace Combat 3.

CONCLUSION

I'm sure you may see a heavy amount of bias within this review, but needless to say, R4 is one of my favourite racing games of all time, and being a RR fan, this is probably the best game in the series, so it's definitely worth checking it out. Great visuals, easy controls, and nice music to boot!

Final Verdict
9.5/10
A

Ups:
Smooth gameplay
Great music
Nice visuals
Easy to learn controls
Downs:
Somewhat abysmal bonus unlocking methods

And to think that some people believe R4's "over the moon" reputation is uncalled for and overplayed... Yes, R4 may not go overboard on graphics with rainbow colors or tracks with sudden elevations and descending roads (I am looking at you Rage Racer), but it's the most polished Ridge Racer of all. Ridge Racer V couldn't exploit all the PS2 could do, being a launching title for the console, which was eventually dwarfed by GT4, and later Ridge Racer games overcomplicated things in the worst possible way. Is R4 the greatest Ridge Racer of all time? Maybe not, with the existence of Ridge Racers 2, but it's far from being overrated.
This is my personal opinion, so take it as you will, but adding things like Auto-Nitrous and handing out four or five different types of tires took things too far. Instead of focusing on drift or grip control, later races were just "boost showcases" where the key component to win was having the highest top speed and the easiest to use nitrous system. With the boss races, this issue was just ramped up to 11, where it was no longer a "can I learn the track to beat this guy" battle, and instead became a "where do I nitrous?" battle. After a while, I just got bored, and the only fun for me to continue playing RR7 was doing the "No Nitrous" races, because there it was all about driver skill and learning the track. No getting a zillion miles ahead of the competition after a barrage of boost... That is not how you play a Ridge Racer, that is not the fun way to play a Ridge Racer game, I'm sorry.

Does the Grip mode feel like an afterthought to lure in the fans of realistic racers into the world of Ridge Racer, after the release of TOCA Touring Cars and GT2? Yes, it does. Is the car variety lacking somewhat? Yes, there are quite a few duplicate cars which just pad the list further. And is the unlocking method for said cars incredibly cumbersome and time-consuming? Of course, that's a ridiculous feature, which could've been easily improved by having the player unlock all of his team's cars by beating the Championship mode once (I say "teams" and not "manufacturers" mind you. You beat the game with one team and one manufacturer? You only get all cars for that single combo, nothing else, that's what I'd say)...

But in the end, R4 is still one of the finest arcade racers in the Playstation, simply because the sum of its parts is polished to a mirror sheen. It has aged well graphics-wise, the music is flawless, and the overall feel just puts a smile on your face. Crossing the finish line on Shooting Hoops while seeing the New Year fireworks go off, marking your victory... That is how you feel a sense of accomplishment.

This is my personal opinion, so take it as you will, but adding things like Auto-Nitrous and handing out four or five different types of tires took things too far. Instead of focusing on drift or grip control, later races were just "boost showcases" where the key component to win was having the highest top speed and the easiest to use nitrous system. With the boss races, this issue was just ramped up to 11, where it was no longer a "can I learn the track to beat this guy" battle, and instead became a "where do I nitrous?" battle. After a while, I just got bored, and the only fun for me to continue playing RR7 was doing the "No Nitrous" races, because there it was all about driver skill and learning the track. No getting a zillion miles ahead of the competition after a barrage of boost... That is not how you play a Ridge Racer, that is not the fun way to play a Ridge Racer game, I'm sorry.
Regarding Nitrous:

I felt that Ridge Racers 1 & 2 (being the first games to implement the idea) did the nitrous idea just fine. Ridge Racer 6 did it okay, then 7 kindaa went overboard with it. In 7, having the ability to either have early nitrous or multiple nitrous made way for some weaknesses and unfairness. everyone having the same system was a better idea to have, having only up to 3 charges, and can use one at a time only.

And tires:

I agree with you on the tires. The later games lost the ability to choose either grip or drift, as all cars drifted. I guess they had to drop the grip ability to make way for the nitrous system.

Online matches in RR7, excluding matches with nitrous disabled was a matter of when to use the nitrous right and getting all the way up to 3x.

Regarding Nitrous:

I felt that Ridge Racers 1 & 2 (being the first games to implement the idea) did the nitrous idea just fine. Ridge Racer 6 did it okay, then 7 kindaa went overboard with it. In 7, having the ability to either have early nitrous or multiple nitrous made way for some weaknesses and unfairness. everyone having the same system was a better idea to have, having only up to 3 charges, and can use one at a time only.

Yes, Bamco has had some issues with balancing multiple versions of the same feature; the Burst bar in Gundam Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost was often criticized for separating two different bars, the EX Attack bar and the Shooting/Melee (known as Fighting) Burst, which meant that players could just beef up their Mobile Suit on the go without having to activate the EX Attack bar. Why I am mentioning this? Because in older games the player had to activate the EX Attack bar, as the specific fighting bursts could only be accessed by doing so.

So in essence, Bamco separated the nitrous into too many smaller parts. Just having Ridge Racers 2's basic system with the regeneration gimmick in RR7 would be easy enough. Maybe add a way to reduce/increase boost pressure (somehow), but nothing more. Having nitrous that regenerates itself while driving is the RR equivalent of regenerating health in later Call of Duty games.

And tires:I agree with you on the tires. The later games lost the ability to choose either grip or drift, as all cars drifted. I guess they had to drop the grip ability to make way for the nitrous system.

Online matches in RR7, excluding matches with nitrous disabled was a matter of when to use the nitrous right and getting all the way up to 3x.

Actually, what I think that Bamco wanted to unify the handling systems into one single format. But if that was their intention, why have separate Grip and Drift handling systems in the first place? If you can get a Drift car to grip like a clam, and if you can turn a grippy car into Keichi Tsuchiya's personal vehicle, there's no reason to keep both systems. A system which shifts between Grip and Drift on the go would make for a much lighter load on the game itself...

And I have never played RR7 online (do people still play it that way these days?), but I bet your description is accurate. Just getting multiple bursts of Triple Nitrous is enough to keep the lead.

Yup, first day playing it, a stock Fiera vs. Some souped up car (Wild Gang I think?)
Well that's an unfair battle, the Wild Gang eats larger sports cars for breakfast, especially when it has a racing tune attached to it! :lol:

Flex Nitrous is a blessing :lol:. Don't worry, once you get the hang of the game, it's quite easy to win. Unless you're in a lobby with a bunch of people form Japan. Then good luck...

Great review! There's no denying that Type 4 is the best game in the series, its atmosphere and style are unmatched still to this day.

If I have to throw my two cents about the Nitrous mechanic in the later games, though, it's a mixed bag, though I agree with the points you've raised: while it did add another layer of track learning, later games overcomplicated the mechanic to the point of working against itself, eventually causing some setups to be flat-out useless (Long Nitrous was just... Ugh) or overpowered beyond belief (I'm looking at you, Ultimate Charge/Grip tyres Assoluto Bisonte).

I just recently started playing R4 again. I was sick, so I spend my hours collecting every car!

The music, the graphics, the handling. This game is still amazing! And can be though as nails (time trials). But I just love it still. And while I'm writing this I hear the menu-music! Hahahaha I'll start it up later tonight.

Ridge Racer Type 4 will always rank in my Top 10 games of all time. My first racing game was the original R&T NFS on PS1. The game that made me fell in love with cars was GT1. But R4 was the magnum opus that ended my PS1 gaming life on a high. I spent 6 months collecting all 320 cars, which felt like an eternity back then. I still have the notebook where I noted the positions you have to place in to get all the cars' permutations (didn't know about GameFaqs back then). Most of the difficulty comes from trying to beat career mode with a perfect win record with RTS and DRT, then trying to beat the extra trials for those teams. Using the top speed tuned cars on any track besides Shooting Hoops is just pure torture :crazy: When I finally got that Pac Man car...bliss :embarrassed:

R4 has the best graphics (even better than GT1/2), best career story (the only racing game with a good story), best arcade physics (best drift physics in the series), best soundtrack and most importantly, one of the, if not THE best intro for a racing game.

Enjoy a what-could-have-been remake version of R4 with real cars (excuse the misproportioned Reiko):

I skipped the PS2 and PSP games, and got R7 for PS3. Safe to say I didn't drive more than a few laps. Graphics are gorgeous but the nitro and tuning system overcomplicates what was a perfect arcade formula. Didn't even bother with Unbounded. If Namco can't get it right, I'd rather they leave the series dead as it is.

I just recently started playing R4 again. I was sick, so I spend my hours collecting every car!

The music, the graphics, the handling. This game is still amazing! And can be though as nails (time trials). But I just love it still. And while I'm writing this I hear the menu-music! Hahahaha I'll start it up later tonight.

Ridge Racer Type 4 will always rank in my Top 10 games of all time. My first racing game was the original R&T NFS on PS1. The game that made me fell in love with cars was GT1. But R4 was the magnum opus that ended my PS1 gaming life on a high. I spent 6 months collecting all 320 cars, which felt like an eternity back then. Most of the difficulty comes from trying to beat career mode with a perfect win record with RTS and DRT, then trying to beat the extra trials for those teams. Using the top speed tuned cars on any track besides Shooting Hoops is just pure torture :crazy: When I finally got that Pac Man car...bliss :embarrassed:

R4 has the best graphics (even better than GT1/2), best career story (the only racing game with a good story), best arcade physics (best drift physics in the series), best soundtrack and most importantly, one of the, if not THE best intro for a racing game:

Enjoy a what-could-have-been remake version of R4 with real cars (excuse the misproportioned Reiko):

Man, I used to blast out R4's soundtrack back when I used to play ModNation Racers on my PS3! That's how good it is. :lol:

Man, I used to blast out R4's soundtrack back when I used to play ModNation Racers on my PS3! That's how good it is. :lol:

I used to do the same with GT5. But it didn't really fit the atmosphere of the game so I removed it. Also I find if you listen too much you ruin the "nostalgia" effect. Now I just limit it to once or twice listenings per year.

Move Me, The Ride and Moving in Circles are my favourites.

PS: I remember there's a button cheat that lets you race an eagle in the Heaven & Hell track in story mode. I try to keep up, but always end up losing halfway through the lap :lol:

PS: I remember there's a button cheat that lets you race an eagle in the Heaven & Hell track in story mode. I try to keep up, but always end up losing halfway through the lap :lol:

I must know of this code, enlighten me about its ways! I must race this eagle and prove my mettle against the 'Murican-Japanese eagle... :lol:

Flex Nitrous is a blessing :lol:. Don't worry, once you get the hang of the game, it's quite easy to win. Unless you're in a lobby with a bunch of people form Japan. Then good luck...

Guess that's why I never used Flex Nitrous all that much, oops. :lol: I get the hang of RR7's handling system, what really messes me up is the excessive nitrous variety. I never know what's the good kind of nitrous to beat a certain race with a certain setup, and when boss battles come up I just tend to give up halfway through. The boss just blasts me with nitrous every 2 minutes, and I can't really match my driving rythm to his... It's not me learning the track, it's me learning nitrous patterns. That's not the challenge I'm looking forward to in a racing game, I'm sorry.

And of course it's difficult to race against Japanese players, the game belongs to their country after all... You can't compete against those godlike reflexes honed in arcade machines and whatnot... :lol:

I'm gonna be honest; Ridge Racer 7 is not a skill-based game. What it really is, though, is a strategy game; plan that perfect time to nail the nitrous so that it could stop at the exact moment you enter a turn, and then drift to regain more nitrous than you had lost. Now repeat 150 time for many different tracks.

I'm gonna be honest; Ridge Racer 7 is not a skill-based game. What it really is, though, is a strategy game; plan that perfect time to nail the nitrous so that it could stop at the exact moment you enter a turn, and then drift to regain more nitrous than you had lost. Now repeat 150 time for many different tracks.
It actually still has skill involved in it, especially when you use the dynamic type cars.

Super Street: The Game
Team6 Game Studios, Rebel Games

PSLS-Image-Template-2.jpg

Released in 2018 for PS4, XBOX One, PC

Rating: T

Genre: Racing

Is it possible to fail at making a racing game? Yes. In so many ways.

What is Super Street?

For those who don't know, Super Street is a magazine focused mainly on tuned import cars.
superStreet.jpg

It's a tad bit "meeeeeeeeh" for my taste, but check out one at a store and see what you make of it.

Onwards to the game.

Yep.

Ah, yup. This game.

When I first saw the teaser screenshots of this game, it looked promising overall, with deep customization and fast-paced street racing akin to the older Need for Speed games, like Underground and Carbon.

(I (fortunately) didn't buy this game, but a friend did, and I got to play it twice on his PS4, seeing how the game played, and my impressions of it will be gathered from there. Since I don't own the game, I wasn't able to get my own screenshots.)

So where did it go wrong?

Many, many things went wrong with this game. I was expecting the game to be mediocre at best, but, this really went below my expectations.

How does the game handle?

How can I really put this in nicer terms? It's....... Lacking.

Actually, I can't really sugar coat this, it's really bad, flat out.

It actually manages to outperform NFS15 in the understeer department, because no matter where I went, no matter how fast I moved the car, I always ended up hitting a wall, anywhere!

The main problem in this is that (as obvious as this sounds in real life) the more powerful your car, the more difficult it is to drive.

Only that, your car gets powerful upon upgrading it, but the parts that affect your handling, doesn't exactly work, like 75% of the time. Even at a high level upgrade, the car doesn't exactly feel different.

Alright, so the game handles like hot-googity-goo. Does the AI drive this way too?

NOPE!

Far from it actually, the AI literally drives around the tracks like those scalextric cars, going around corners A-Ok, and going around them zoom-zippity-zoom fast. Sometimes the AI borks up and ends up throwing themselves into walls or off the track, but they will catch up to you.

Also, never have I ever played a racing game with AI this aggressive. It's almost like you don't even exist to them. They will mercilessly barrel themselves into you and more or less end your life in this game. It's like they took the AI from Burnout's marked target mode, but dialed that baby all the way up to 11.

Okay, so uh, how is the environment then?

That's a good question, I don't know whether to be okay with it or absolutely despise it, really.

The graphics aren't exactly much to talk about with this game. It's decent, but nowhere as good as something like Need for Speed. I can't exactly compare this to Gran Turismo because the LoD in that game is more or less unreal. It really overall looks like something that's free to play on your mobile device

Road design?

It's... Well....

hm.jpg

The roads in this game are almost all about this width. The country roads and highways in this game are absurdly wide, probably enough for people to go about 8-wide on most of them. This also leads to some really awkward turns and corners due to how weirdly wide the roads are.

You said that this game had customization, right? How is that at least?

It's a hit on the visual aspects, a complete miss on the performance upgrading aspect.

Super-Street-The-Game-7.jpg

Customization in this game is highly detailed, as shown in the screenshot above. the amount of parts you can overall give your car is pleantiful, but it isn't staggering like Need for Speed's.

On the upgrading aspect, however, it's really more or less pointless on anything that isn't a power upgrade, because the handling upgrades, as I have experimented, all perform the exact same way on the road.
You're better off keeping the car's handling at a low level than you are spending big bucks getting it to the max because, I couldn't exactly tell the difference, I still end up finding myself smashing into walls to make my way through the track.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh..... How's the music?

I.... really didn't give a flying hoot about the music in this game, it was alright, I guess?

The sounds in the game are probably the most generic engine sounds you would likely find in any subpar racing or driving game, really, it's nothing really worth mentioning.

So the driving is bad, but the customization is good? I suppose that would be enough for you to at least give the game a so-so score, right?

Nope, and let me tell you why.

Because of the the amount of stuff they give you to really dabble around with, as well as the time it takes for one to really complete the game (it's not long, according to my friend), it isn't worth the price they're expecting you to pay this.

The price?
$49.99.

It really isn't worth it. Maybe if it was, 40 dollars less? Maybe, but definitely not worth it at that price whatsoever.

So how should I really conclude this?

The game... Is not approachable by any means whatsoever, but the developers of the game have so far been reaching out to players of the game, and, who knows- it could be a good thing or a bad thing (remember ghost's involvement with NFS15? That was pure schlock).
At the moment, the game is not all as it seemed, but the game might actually be at least approachable in a few updates or so.
It has potential, but it's all over the place in it's current standing.

Final Verdict

3/10

F

Ups:
Simple Menus
Decent Customization

Downs:
Driving Physics
Over Aggressive AI

Handling Upgrades not doing what they should be doing
The price
The length of the game