Graphic Novels

• Thread starter Zac007
  • 19 comments
zac_attack_007
So I know there is already a book thread but this is just for graphic novels and comic books. What are you current reading and which is your favourite comic or novel? I'm currently reading Batman year one and my favourite novel so far is batman the dark night returns.

Last edited:
One of my all time favourites is Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan.
I'm currently obsessed with his other recent and on-going books SAGA and The Private Eye. (FYI: The Private Eye is available on a pay what you want basis HERE)
Other favs include Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodriguez's Locke & Key, and if you're a horror fan, Severed by Scott Snyder & Scott Tuft.

2000 AD, baby!

I loved reading the annuals my dad kept from his childhood in the 70's. I'm a big Sci-Fi fan and 2000 AD had it all; dystopian future, ABC warriors, robots, mega cities and probably its most well known exploit - Judge Dredd.

The artistry was good, considering it was the 70's, and the stories were well written.

So I know there is already a book thread but this is just for graphic novels and coming books. What are you current reading and which is your favourite comic or novel? I'm currently reading Batman year one and my favourite novel so far is batman the dark night returns.

What's this about 'coming' books?

As for comics . . . . oh! all of DC and Marvel.

Tintin ( or tantan ;) )

Lucky Luke

Asterix

Boy's World comics

Bones

Some Manga

Edit: Went looking at my collection of books and found quite a few - will post some pics later.

Last edited:
What about Archie? Casper the Friendly Ghost?

Where did the term "graphic novel" come from anyway? I've never seen a comic book that remotely resembled a novel in length. On the other hand, "graphic short story" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I've read these:
- Asterix (most of the books)
- Tintin (all of them)
- Archie comics (a lot)
- DC and Marvel (not too many)

BTW: Has anyone read the Telikos Protocol novel(s)? I really want to read them soon, because sci-fi :drool:

I've heard marvels of that. Thanks for reminding me to look for it 👍

It's quite good.

Anyways I'm reading Thanos Quest for then millionth time, as well as Killing Joke and Longest Halloween along with Superman For Tomorrow.

Interested in Superman Year One and Kingdom Come though, along with several others.

I'm a massive DC fan, and a massive fan of Marvel Villains.

What about Archie? Casper the Friendly Ghost?

Where did the term "graphic novel" come from anyway? I've never seen a comic book that remotely resembled a novel in length. On the other hand, "graphic short story" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

How on earth could I have forgotten HARVEY Comics? OMG - they were the best - Richie Rich, Little Lotta, Dot, Spooky and my favourite - Wendy, the good Witch. I didn't like Casper too much because he was just a little too goody-goody for me :yuck: :lol:

When I first heard the term 'Graphic Novel' I thought it was an euphemism for some sort of literary erotica - it was later I came to know that the spin doctors were at it again and dressing up those 'long comics' we grew up with.
However - Books like Tintin, Asterix, and so on came in large format, and not in regular 'novel size' books.
Who here has read the 'Commando' series? And on the subject of Comic Book Mania . . . let's not forget Dell. Read a ton of those, too. Mostly War Comics.

Do they still sell Tintin in stores never seen it?

The last time I saw Tintin in stores was at The World's Biggest Bookstore in downtown Toronto. That store is long gone, done in by medium sized stores whose inventory is predominantly online. A full collection of the Tintin series must cost more than an arm and a leg now.
Quite possible smaller bookstores that deal in secon-hand books may have some. Otherwise online is the best bet today in sourcing rare or out-of-print books.

I used to deal in rare books myself (still have my store on eBay, though quite inactive for several years) but gave up that venture due to lack of time. I may go back to dealing (sourcing and selling) rare books, but I see that happening only many many years from now. I do pick up the old book now and then for reselling, and stash it away.

Trying to catch up on marvels adaptions of stephen kings the stand and dark tower comics.

Recently re read the crow graphic novel after watching the movie with my daughter and also fairly recently reread the watchmen.

Badger x : you mentioned locke and key. Ive been meaning to start reading those. Haventou read any of joe hills regular novels? Fantastic story teller ( who wouldnt be coming from the two writer parents he has.

Sandman:
I've heard marvels of that. Thanks for reminding me to look for it 👍

You're welcome!

Do they still sell Tintin in stores never seen it?

I've definitely seen them at Chapters and Indigo.

Haven't you read any of joe hills regular novels? Fantastic story teller. ( who wouldnt be coming from the two writer parents he has.)

I had no idea his folks were Stephen and Tabitha King! Very cool.
Locke & Key was my introduction to him and I'm definitely a fan now. I'll have to check out his novels too. Thanks Caz!

No problem. He has i think 2 full length ( horns and heart shaped box) and a short story book called 20th century ghosts.
I believe he and sk are working on a novel together and he helped with the ending of sk's jfk book.

Sorry. Back to comics.

Just checked the Indigo site and they have the entire Adventures of Tintin for about 80$.

That's probably for the 'novel' sized editions, and likely doesn't contain Picaros, Soviets, and Congo.

The best price I could find (online) for a complete Hardcover Large Format set (and still doesn't really contain the whole set) is this one here:

http://www.exodusbooks.com/details.aspx?id=6000

Actually makes me want to pick up a set again, since my schoolboy collection was eventually destroyed by marriage and kids. The Large Format books were ones you could really stick your head into. They were movies! :dopey:

Back