Graphics performance seems sub par despite my specsPC 

• Thread starter IDAFC21
  • 8 comments
Not sure whats conflicting with what here, but it seems like this game does not run very smooth on my PC, despite what Ive got running it. specs are:

amd 8350 4ghz
msi gtx970 4gb
16gb g.skill ram
840 evo 500gb ssd

I know I cant max the game out on those specs, but it should be able to run things pretty smoothly at a high level. Yet, even w/ all my settings on medium-low and running a standard 1920x1080 60hz resolution, I notice a lotta screen tearing, cars glitch out when I get next to them to pass, and i get a lotta environmental pop in, especially in my mirrors, which is really distracting.

Ive been playing this game since its release, and when i first got it i was running a radeon 7870, but switched to the gtx970 shortly after. I uninstalled all the amd drivers when i put my new card in, and even went thru the other day and cleared out any remaining amd file I could find, including in the registry. Anyone have any thoughts on what else I can look into?

Someone else reported similar issues on the WMD forums. Pretty much the same situation - he had AmD card before and switched to 970. It must be some driver bug and some files didn't get deleted or something. The only way i can think of is format. Might as well do it when windows 10 comes along soon.

Before doing a full reinstall, you might want to consider a driver cleaning utility (if you haven't already done so).

Before doing a full reinstall, you might want to consider a driver cleaning utility (if you haven't already done so).

I have not done so yet. Any recommendations? I am definitely not doing a whole format for one game. haha. Hopefully this issue can be cleared up w/out such extreme measures.

Haha, looking at that link, I'm remembering now that I actually did use that program (my brain dont remember so good sometimes) to clean out my old drivers when I put my new card in. So combined w/ the straglers I deleted the other day that were still hanging around, I don't think theres anymore amd files to remove on my system.

It might be something as simple as a strange setting....

This is what I use with an old Core i7 CPU and a GTX760:
Detailed Grass Low
Texture High
AF 8x
AA MSAA
FXAA Low
SMAA Off
Vehicles/EnvMap/World High
Shadows/Reflections Medium
Blur Off
Frames to prerender 1 (or 2, don't know if it makes a big difference)

I get 70-80fps at 1080p in time trial, frame rates drop to the 40's in the middle of a grid of ~30 AI, but back up above 60fps as soon as the field strings out, and I find 40fps surprisingly playable (since controls are not affected by sluggish frame rates).

Stuff like the wrong grass setting or the wrong AA/FXAA/SMAA setting would be likely culprits of unexpectedly bad performance, although I would suggest checking game cache in steam to make sure it's not a case of some bad files in your install.

Well as a bit of an update I downloaded FRAPS the other day so I could get an actual reading on what the game was doing and ran some tests w/ it. What I found, is that it is indeed possible to run the graphics TOO low. haha. I'd been so obsessed with trying to figure out why the cars were stuttering and glitching when Id pull along side them to pass I just kept turning the graphics down lower and lower and it seems that was actually causing me more problems than helping.

From doing some additional research it seems the car stutter thing happens to some people that are even running titans, so that points to more of a game issue than any kinda hardware/driver issue.

But back to my situation, when I turned everything up to high settings, all the environmental pop in id been noticing before had pretty much disappeared. And doing a quick race at Spa in clear conditions with a 21 car formula gulf field, fraps measured my fps at Avg: 76.408 - Min: 47 - Max: 114

Then just to see what would happen I cranked everything up to ultra, went back to spa and raced in rain/fog conditions. Surprisingly FRAPS measured Avg: 46.200 - Min: 28 - Max: 57. And I agree, even at that rate the game was still quite playable for me. However for normal game use I still think I'll keep settings at high, because I can still average 60fps in inclimate weather at those settings.

Heres the vid of my Ultra Rainy Spa test. You can watch it in 1080p60 for the full effect.

I enabled adaptive VSync in the nVidia driver tool and that helped a lot with the other cars glitching when getting close to them. I have not noticed any tearing at all.

I am also running the FX8350 but with just 8gb ram and a 750ti card

Latest Posts

Back