Gravity/Downforce issues

  • Thread starter Thread starter Muffinland
  • 9 comments
  • 1,008 views
Messages
173
United States
Michigan
Messages
Dynasty-Muffin
Alright, I'll start off with the standard: I'm not a pro driver in any way. I play the game as well as I can, but no way will you see my name on the leaderboards.

I was doing some time trials in single player on the Nurburgring North Coarse, in a maxed out, drop-dead gorgeous Viper GTS '02. I was using Racing Softs for the best lap time(if tires matter) . The car was perfect, until the turn before the first strait before Aremburg. There is a bit of a hill about 100-200 feet before the turn. The entire front end of the car lifts up, rendering the front brakes useless, steering uncontrolled. I was amazed, this thing has a V10 sitting up there, and it just lifted up like a feather. Nonetheless, need to learn how the car handles on the rest of the track, so I continue.

All is dandy until a turn called (Yes, I looked up the names of corners for reference) "Klostertal"'s right-sided curb nearly flips my car over. All 1255 kgs of it. Yea, I've been flipped before, but it can get frustrating when it happens over and over again.

So now, my question: Is there any air modeled in this game? I mean if there is actual air/fluid or something pushing my entire car down so that downforce is existent at all. This Viper can have a front aero kit put on it, but it doesn't seem to do anything but make it look like a fighter jet. I've raced the track in race cars before, but this was my first street car. Sometimes, even the race cars will do this.

Also, I don't mean to sound like I'm whining, I'm just wondering if something comparable to air, or an aerodynamic model is in the game is in the game.
 
Alright, I'll start off with the standard: I'm not a pro driver in any way. I play the game as well as I can, but no way will you see my name on the leaderboards.

I was doing some time trials in single player on the Nurburgring North Coarse, in a maxed out, drop-dead gorgeous Viper GTS '02. I was using Racing Softs for the best lap time(if tires matter) . The car was perfect, until the turn before the first strait before Aremburg. There is a bit of a hill about 100-200 feet before the turn. The entire front end of the car lifts up, rendering the front brakes useless, steering uncontrolled. I was amazed, this thing has a V10 sitting up there, and it just lifted up like a feather. Nonetheless, need to learn how the car handles on the rest of the track, so I continue.

All is dandy until a turn called (Yes, I looked up the names of corners for reference) "Klostertal"'s right-sided curb nearly flips my car over. All 1255 kgs of it. Yea, I've been flipped before, but it can get frustrating when it happens over and over again.

So now, my question: Is there any air modeled in this game? I mean if there is actual air/fluid or something pushing my entire car down so that downforce is existent at all. This Viper can have a front aero kit put on it, but it doesn't seem to do anything but make it look like a fighter jet. I've raced the track in race cars before, but this was my first street car. Sometimes, even the race cars will do this.

Also, I don't mean to sound like I'm whining, I'm just wondering if something comparable to air, or an aerodynamic model is in the game is in the game.

Tires do matter. Racing softs have the best grip on the road. Sounds to me like you just need to brake more before hitting those corners. Turn on the driving line to help you learn when to brake to keep your car on the ground. If possible, adjust your downforce settings to maximum in the car settings menu under the body option. Hope this helps.
 
The car was perfect, until the turn before the first strait before Aremburg.
Well, the M4 stock always lift a bit in that spot in NordSchleife and Viper is faster than M4.
 
Slow down and don't hit the curbs on nordschleife. Irl it's even worse if you do. I mean the whole flipping over thing is over exaggerated sometimes but you do spin and break your car.


These curbs are worse in IRL. I mean, they are modeled OK in the game, but a real car suspension system cannot absorb at such speed the height of the curbs with the softness of the game suspension system.
 
Last edited:
Thanks all, will try to be a bit more cautious. This track is deceiving and hope I didn't sound like an idiot
 
Have you tried softening the suspension for the track? Being a very bumpy track with lots of undulations, rises and crests if the suspension is too stiff you will lift on some of the harsher corners and apex's and over some of the high speed crests.
 
Soften the damping, the same happens at the 1st cnr at deep forest. Some FR cars seem to have this problem the aston one-77, slr maclaren to name a few, all are high performance cars with big donks mounted up front.
 
Soften the damping, the same happens at the 1st cnr at deep forest. Some FR cars seem to have this problem the aston one-77, slr maclaren to name a few, all are high performance cars with big donks mounted up front.

My FF gti in my thumbnail even rolled before..
 
So now, my question: Is there any air modeled in this game?
You'd need more than a PS3 to be able to have airflow simulated in real time.
 
It could be a flaw in the weight transfer... Where it's shifting weight (causing lift on the lighter side) instead of transfering piloted weight... (just shifting a percentage of the pivoted weight)...

Or simply the centers of gravity are modeled too high...

Either way there are some very odd behaviors in weight transfer and aero, and they don't appear to be related, or working together. The higher the pp the more obvious the oddity.
 
Back