Greatest composer...who else? MOZART!Music 

Messages
2
There are many geniuses in the field of classical music...Bach, Handel, Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner...but when it comes to being the best, I would have to go with Mozart...how many composers wrote masterpieces in so many different genres? From the greatest operas of all time (Figaro, Don Giovanni, Zauberflote), to some of the greatest piano concertos, symphonies, string quartets, serenades...etc...and to think he died at an early age of 36...one would shudder at what a "mature" Mozart, would have done. By the way, I love Bach, Haydn, and Beethoven alot too...so it was a tough choice...but Mozart's music can bring me tears or joy...no other composer's music has such a profound effect on me.;)
 
I like classical music but I don't know enough about it to pick which I think is best. I just listen to it and play it (some).
 
He certainly did write some interesting work. However, he seems to have been quite the objectionable person during his short life.

Don't you think that advancing years would have brought with them increased pressure and a certain jaded attitude to life? I think that someone who is such a prodigy is liekly to be blunted by age, rather than someone who is less talented, who is able to gain experience and thus improve over time.
 
Well, judging from the nutcase he became in later life, it would have been interesting to see what tone his music would have taken, had he lived. Have you guys heard of the composer Michael Giacchino? He wrote the score for all of the MoH games. More recent, but a good listen nonetheless.
 
I do like Mozart, and he was obviously a versatile composer in addition to a musical genius.

However, I like some of the more mature composers better:
  • Rachmaninoff - my real favorite. Greatest Romantic composer of all time.
  • Bach's stuff is interesting in a scientific way and I have to appreciate that.
  • Beethoven is good enough that you have to like him. Very detailed composition.
  • Prokofiev has a great ear for lyric expression.
I've got a lot of other classical music I really like, but those guys are my favorites.
 
When it comes to being nutcases and persons of objectionable character, Mozart's carelessness with his money certainly paled in comparision with the depraved character of one Richard Wagner...
Rachmaninoff was great...I love his piano concertos, but when it comes to being the greatest Romantic composer, he faces stiff competition to the partisians of Schubert, Chopin, Liszt, Brahms, Verdi, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, and (gulp) Wagner! Rachmaninoff can certainly make a strong case for being the greatest of the 20th century, where competition isn't as overwhelming! :)
 
Back