Grid Autosport Review

• Thread starter GTracer98
  • 12 comments
Latvia
Vidzeme, Riga
Driverman447
None.
Now, as some of you know, I got the game 2 days ago and I have b een doing some racing in 3 categories as of yet. These are Endurance, Touring and Street.

The game is beautiful even on the PS3 and the gameplay is up there as well. The great event structure with quali and racing creates a true raceday feel. As some others have said, this is the best offline racing experience I've had in a long time.

But as with everything, this game has it's flaws. They aren't game breakers but still it would be nice for them to be fixed in a future patch or something. So here's a list of pros and cons of Grid Autosport.

Pros:

Mostly very competitive AI;
Great selection of different racing disciplines;
Some very iconic cars like the Group A Ford Sierra and the Group C Mazda 787B;
Beautiful graphics, staggeringly good for a PS3 system;
Physics are definitely on the sim side, the car reacts to changes on the surface, kerbs; oversteer and understeer are nicely simulated;
Great sounds!
Again, the track surfaces are greatly modeled, especially on the city tracks;
Neat weekend structure with quali and race;
I like the idea of tyre wear, finally featuring in a Grid game (though pit stops missing... :();
Great team rivalries and team fights in the championship standings;
Great damage modeling;
Nice selection of tracks, with both real and fictional ones;
COCKPIT VIEW! :D

Cons:

There are moments when the AI even on the hardest difficulty is quite slow, that's especially noticeable in the Endurance category: there have been moments when I blitz the field even on a track I don't know;
No pit stops. That's one of my biggest gripes;
AI drivers can be too aggressive, sometimes even between teammates. In many races I've seen both Rawenwest drivers smash each other off, in one instance it ended with a massive roll;
Cars have a bit too much grip but I guess it's simply a simcade title so that's to be expected;
There's no free run option where you could test the car without a time limit and create a setup.
Blurry cockpit. Even when you get used to it, you want the same detail as the GT games or even the original Grid have;
No real life racing liveries for many cars. The original Grid had Le Mans Series with some of the official liveries that were used in the 2006 season. Same with the other classes, cars had some kind of real life livery;
No Le Mans, the king of Endurance races;
No weather effects;
Only one Le Mans Prototype, the Lola B12/80;
A bit too much one make cup racing;
This is a bit nitpicky: reversed real world tracks. That kind of destroys the authenticity;
The replay angles are often cameras on car, more trackside cameras would make the replays more enjoyable. And it would be nice to watch the replay of an AI driver.

So after all these cons, don't get me wrong, the game is fantastic! :)👍 It's simply the never ending desire for perfection that makes me want more from it. Some of the cons could be fixed with patches, like the slow-ish AI. It's up to Codemasters but until then, I'll simply continue enjoying the racing. :D Again, I haven't finished the game, I'm not even close. So these lists could change. ;)

The entire cockpit view makes no sense to me. It looked amazing in the original Grid. Really impressive actually. Then they removed it for Grid 2 claiming a very few percentage of the community uses it in their games. So they got bashed by the community for removing it and now this is their attempt to add it back in? A blurry interior? Some developers make some of the most stupid decisions. Its quite simple, if you are going to build a simulation racing game, you need a full interior to add to the immersion. Stop being lazy. Other than that, the game looks good.

Last edited:
@CAMAROBOY69 It's not a simulation. It just isn't. It's a hugely fun racing game. The cockpit is better than GT's standards and in my opinion using the cockpit view takes away from the excitement of the game anyway in this case.

So they got bashed by the community for removing it and now this is their attempt to add it back in? A blurry interior? Some developers make some of the most stupid decisions. Its quite simple, if you are going to build a simulation racing game, you need a full interior to add to the immersion
Firstly, it's not a simulation.

Secondly, the blurry interior view is deliberate, because you're focusing on the road, not the wheel.

@CAMAROBOY69 It's not a simulation. It just isn't. It's a hugely fun racing game. The cockpit is better than GT's standards and in my opinion using the cockpit view takes away from the excitement of the game anyway in this case.
Honestly it doesn't matter if it is a sim or arcade, it just doesn't make sense to not have an interior view in a racing game. Especially when the previous game had interior view.

Honestly it doesn't matter if it is a sim or arcade, it just doesn't make sense to not have an interior view in a racing game. Especially when the previous game had interior view.

Previous game didn't have an interior view. PM is right in that you focus on the road, rather than the wheel, but also as Codemasters were time pushed to get this game on shelves, they used a lot of the models from Grid 2, it's simply pointless to allocate resources modelling the cockpit view for the "1%" who use it. Be glad with what you have and remember it's still better than Gran Turismo's 800 standard views.

Previous game didn't have an interior view. PM is right in that you focus on the road, rather than the wheel, but also as Codemasters were time pushed to get this game on shelves, they used a lot of the models from Grid 2, it's simply pointless to allocate resources modelling the cockpit view for the "1%" who use it. Be glad with what you have and remember it's still better than Gran Turismo's 800 standard views.
Grid 1 did indeed have interior views. I do agree its better than the standards in GT but that's not saying much.
Its just another example of a developer pushing a game out quicker than it should be released.

The entire cockpit view makes no sense to me. It looked amazing in the original Grid. Really impressive actually. Then they removed it for Grid 2 claiming a very few percentage of the community uses it in their games. So they got bashed by the community for removing it and now this is their attempt to add it back in? A blurry interior? Some developers make some of the most stupid decisions. Its quite simple, if you are going to build a simulation racing game, you need a full interior to add to the immersion. Stop being lazy. Other than that, the game looks good.

Please don't call us lazy.... I tend to turn green and smash things.

We're anything but lazy.

Damned if you do.....damned if you don't.

Sigh.

Grid 1 did indeed have interior views. I do agree its better than the standards in GT but that's not saying much.
Its just another example of a developer pushing a game out quicker than it should be released.

Grid 2 didn't, being as Grid 2 was the previous game.

Everyone seems to forget that there are 2 cockpit views, the blurry one from up far (which i don't like neither), and the close up one which is closer to the track and doesn't suffer from the blurriness 👍

Thank god you pushed to have that one in @anim8r_uk , otherwise i wouldn't have enjoyed the game like i do.

My biggest gripe is the no working mirrors in cockpit or virtual mirror for bonnet view, I use them both depending on the car. I won't use the L word but the missing mirrors does confuse me. I race a slow car on the same track as much faster cars in real life.. i need my mirrors :lol:

Latest Posts

Back