GRID Legends Review: Hit and Myth

• Thread starter Famine
  • 23 comments
I'm not sure I agree the rain effects are as good as Driveclub's. They are certainly more immersive (though maybe a little more arbitrary) than Forza's or GT's effects, but they don't sell it the way Driveclub's did.

Although the last game wasn't deeply engrossing, it was cracking to dip into when your low on concentration juice. Im assuming there will be even more of capitalist shadiness like with the last Codie's releases (exacerbated by EA), so im waiting for a complete edition, and on sale too. If only there was something else to play / drive while waiting for that sale... lol

Last edited:
Finished Story mode after 5-6 hours via EA play in trial version, deleted game already. I prefer Project Cars 3 in arcade motorsport racing.
Yesterday I installed first GRID (2007), load my old savegame, took some laps...It was a great game and it's harder to drive without assists than in the GRID 2019 and GRID Legends.

Does this game have online-only features, or requries you to be online to unlock/access content?
Does it have a big day-one patch, or relevant bugs in general?

Does this game have online-only features, or requries you to be online to unlock/access content?
Does it have a big day-one patch, or relevant bugs in general?
the only online-only features are the hop-in/out multiplayer aspect, everything can be played offline it seems. and the Day 1 patch was only a few GBs as far as I know. the game in general is 33GBs on PS5 so pretty well optimised for how good it looks. (38GB on PS4)

Although the last game wasn't deeply engrossing, it was cracking to dip into when your low on concentration juice. Im assuming there will be even more of capitalist shadiness like with the last Codie's releases (exacerbated by EA), so im waiting for a complete edition, and on sale too. If only there was something else to play / drive while waiting for that sale... lol
"Capitalist shadiness." I like that.👍

I've been enjoying it but I wish there was more of the story cutscenes as that was the selling point for me, sell me on a b-movie cringefest I can chuckle at between doritos, exactly like the first couple of TOCA's but brought into the modern era and it kind of does that but doesn't have enough of it to really do it for me.

Elsewhere I haven't had too much of a look at the career mode but it looks like GRID 2019 with just more stuff with less context or reason behind it, uh, yay? Online was interesting, I do love the ability to drop into live sessions, get put in a car and away you go, time to open the game and get onto the track in an online race is possibly less than 10 seconds which is what we want from this kind of experience in the end.

I have to say running on a PS5 the game looks great. Everything is bright and clear and there's a lot going on on screen at any given moment, with pretty satisfying first corner chaos with shards flying all over the shop but holding a solid framerate throughout. Some nice lighting and weather effects really flesh this out and make up for perhaps a little lack of details here and there on the surroundings environments.

The launch date doesn't bother me personally as the game scratches a much different itch to Gran Turismo all I hope is that it can keep a solid playerbase to make it a go to arcade racer when you have 20-30 minutes to fill, where Grid 2019 was completely dead within a year of release.

Is there an event list to play or is it just career, quick race and online?
The Event List is the Career.

You also have the Race Creator for custom events (which also serves as your multiplayer lobby creator tool).

Driven to Glory (the story mode) is separate to Career but serves as a nice introduction to the game as a whole; you get to try out all the car classes and race types.

My review

Glad the gameplay has improved, there's some fine tracks wasted in a mediocre game engine in the last outing... Surprised you had time to even look at this, especially if you have a review copy of GT7 in hand!

Surprised you had time to even look at this, especially if you have a review copy of GT7 in hand!
No review copy for me, bought mine and will play it first at 00:01 on the 4th with everyone else.

Finished the story mode in 2 days. This game needs more content!
?

The story mode is basically the tutorial, after that, you have the very sizable career mode to get through, and I know you haven't done that in two days.

I'm about 60-70 races into that and I only just unlocked the Pro division last night :)
I have to say, I was massively sceptical about Legends, mainly due to how empty Grid 2019 felt, which was mainly down to how the content was structured more than anything else.

Legends is so much better in that regard, the single-player element is well considered and structured, with plenty to draw you back in, the drop-in online works well, and the take on multi-class racing is both clever and fun in Grids alternate universe.

It's a solid arcade racer that I'm loving, I just have to seriously question a release window a week before GT7.

"and there’ll have been more than a handful of people who physically cringed at the mere mention of a story mode."
That's me they are talking about. I was initially not going to get this game because I can't abide story modes in racing games. And the trailers seem to showcase the Story mode over all else with a series of unbelievable characters trying to be philosophical and all.

However I bought it as it was going cheap and I must say it is a damn good racer - loads of interesting tracks and an interesting mode of progression. Also the story mode can be totally avoided if you want.

Back