Grip levels at different times of day

DesertPenguin

(Banned)
United States
Long Island, New York
DesertPenguin_
Same track, different time choices. Do the midday times have more grip because it's hotter than at sunrise/sunset?

I seriously doubt it considering how little PD actually put into proper realistic tire simulation. The most they have is a red or blue bar around them on your HUD for when you're starting or lighting them up. But is the difference between the two enough to make a difference in lap times, let alone enough to notice when driving?

Night and day racing had a noticeable difference in GT5 and GT6; so I hope it does in GTS too. I haven’t checked though.

Not so much night as much as each time slot. There's a series in the making that will simulate day change by having each race at the next time slot, but we didn't do it on the first night because we didn't think about that yet and didn't want to change it up on people mid-way through the night. Like, from 8am to 2pm let's say

Nope. There are no grip level changes per phase of day. But there are time differences (although inconsistent) because the lighting on the track changes, making some markers easier to spot, while others harder. Personally I'm around 2/10ths slower at sunset in Suzuka because I can't see the damned markers at 130R

It also explains why people are generally slower at night

There are differences, run nurb GP GR3 at midday and compare it to an evening time, it’s mostly noticeable with traction.

Only time i ever noticed a difference is on Bathurst when the track looks sort of damp/wet/greasy the car felt more slippery.

That's the only time out of every track and time combo i have come across on the game that felt different.

Never noticed such thing... And i believe they would have mentioned it, if such simulation was modeled in GT5/6.
Noticeable on Daytona particularily. Faster at night because of the cooler air. Not sure about the difference in traction though.

I'm still trying to figure if there is aero wash when following another player. Also if wind has an effect.

I'm sure most players noticed at certain tracks and times, when doing a burn out, the smoke travels in different directions. Really noticeable at the start of the CTR Daily at Maggiore.

From watching one of my replays, a few players lit their tyres up. Smoke travelled quickly to the right across the track. Could that also effect people's braking points and speed down the straight?

Just to add, I've also experienced my car drifting to one side or the other on flat stretches of circuits. Have anyone else the same experiences or is it just my imagination? .

I'm still trying to figure if there is aero wash when following another player.
There is, and the strength of the effect is proportional to the downforce levels of the cars you use. In Gr. 4 you can follow someone on Dragon Trail's esses like there's no one in front of you, but in Gr. 1 you have to slow down more than normal by over 20 km/h if you get aero wash from the guy in front

I'm not sure about wind though, I can't say I've felt anything regarding that

There is, and the strength of the effect is proportional to the downforce levels of the cars you use. In Gr. 4 you can follow someone on Dragon Trail's esses like there's no one in front of you, but in Gr. 1 you have to slow down more than normal by over 20 km/h if you get aero wash from the guy in front

I'm not sure about wind though, I can't say I've felt anything regarding that
Agreed with the effects of following a car and slipstream.
I mainly notice the increased understeer and consequently faster front tyre degredation while following closely lap after lap.

As for time change and grip levels, I have little to refer to.
There aren't many tracks I've driven enough laps on using various time settings to compare.
Saying that, when tuning my car to run at Brands (10:00am from memory) I struggled to find the front end grip I thought I should be able to find.
This happened twice in 2 separate seasons using 2 very different cars, both of which I was quite accustomed to tuning and knew what sort of performance I should be able to achieve.
But that would be my only comment regarding time of day and grip limits.

There are differences, run nurb GP GR3 at midday and compare it to an evening time, it’s mostly noticeable with traction.
Can you help me run some tests or provide some video footage with lap times?

Nope...

Always seen the "optimal same grip levels" in day and night.
Even the races starts with the tyres always in optimal "temperature" .. Cause they only have an "overheat" effect in excess of slips.

At night they don't loose temperatures neither, so not even need to make a race strategy for changing to softer tyres...

Tyre model of GTS is really basic and arcady.

Only difference in times is like someone said above .. The difference in lighting

Back