GT Academy 2012 (SWE) General Discussion

• Thread starter Sederholm
  • 24 comments
Sederholm
I should begin to explain that SWE is the abbreviated form for the country of Sweden, as it is little known outside of its own borders.

The Swedish are known for being brutal and pillaging Vikings, certainly not something you would let on to a racetrack. It is therefore understandable that Sweden is excluded from participating in GT Academy - the safety of others could simply not be guaranteed.

Yes, foolish attemtps have been made to let Swedes on to the track in the past. You may have heard of Formula 1 driver Ronnie Peterson or 1998 Indy Racing League Champion Kenny Bräck.
Ronnie, of course, died in the aftermath of a crash where he was reckless enough to be bumped into by another driver.
And Kenny, while he still lives, was involved in a crash where the highest G-force was recorded, because he was careless enough to be veered in to by another driver.

Indeed, the case of why the Swedes are not allowed to compete for a spot in the GT Academy is, as they say, an open and shut one.

But to my understanding the GT Academy involves only time trials (being from Sweden I can of course not play it so I do not know for sure), and I wonder to myself: Are the Swedish really so dangerous that the risk of letting them on to the track, alone and in a simulated enviromnet, is too great for others?

Because going to the PlayStation Store I could not even find the GT Academy 2012 file, until recently when I found that "This content cannot be accessed on your account."

Ah yes, creating a bogus account - and you make a good point:
That the only way a Swede can succeed in racing is by faking his identity.
If I guess correctly the particular driver you had in mind was, well, I won't give it away just yet. First,take a look at the winning team of the 1989 Le Mans:

Jochen Mass
Manuel Reuter
Stanley Dickens

Can you guess the swede?
No, it is actually Stanley Dickens who fooled everyone by his distinctly unswedish name.

The wikipedia page about Stanley is very brief (which is why I can only base the following sentence on my own vivid imagination). It does not mention that he had to change his name from Björn Magnusson to bypass discrimination against swedes, this is something that media wants to tone down.

We are living in the 21th century, isn't it time to stop race discrimination (note pun) and let the Swedes on to the track?

RIP Ronnie Peterson, one of the most catastrophic series of events that lead to such a crazy death.

Sorry my Swedish chum on not being able to take part. Maybe it's down to the individual laws governing each country, I'm not sure.

At least you have, Ikea, ABBA, saunas and fit women.

I'd trade with you.

RIP Ronnie Peterson, one of the most catastrophic series of events that lead to such a crazy death.

Sorry my Swedish chum on not being able to take part. Maybe it's down to the individual laws governing each country, I'm not sure.

At least you have, Ikea, ABBA, saunas and fit women.

I'd trade with you.

Don't forget a fantastic sense of humour 👍

Don't forget a fantastic sense of humour 👍

I am afraid ABBA, IKEA, sauna and fit women are globally accessible. And a good sense of humor is apperently not unique for Swedes either (although I will have to consult my atlas as to the location of Equestria)

Meanwhile, I leave you this picture of Swedish driver Rickard Rydell.
While they were willing to let him on to the track, it was only under the strict stipulation that he must drive a Volvo - the safest car on the planet, as to prevent him from causing further misery and general havoc on a monumental scale.

640px-Rickard_Rydell_1996_BTCC.jpg

Note that while other drivers might drive in a calm and collected fashion, Rickard does not even bother to keep any of the wheels on the track, this in, needless to add, typical swedish fashion.

Here you go my Swedish friend, this might lift your pecker up.
2008 R,Rydell WTCC car as painted by me. Drives pretty safe too.

6883515510_e881f80ced_z.jpg

I too don't understand this exclusion. From what my good Swedish friend & fellow racer has told me is that all the Scandinavian countries can't participate :grumpy:👎 WHY NOT???? Even if they can't win it like Canadians can't, at least let them do the preliminary rounds. GO SWEDEN & all excluded GT racers !! 👍

Im very dissapointed being completley locked out.

I dont care about the competition itself, just being able to set times would be fine for me.

Every post in this thread by Sederholm is a win...you've got a fun way of explaining things. :sly:

Although GT Academy is available for us swedes by using a fake account, it doesn't really bother me. My question is whether or not we will be able to redeem the cars from GT academy to GT5 even though one might have downloaded an US or UK version of GT Academy.

I guess only time will tell.

Last edited:
you come from a beautiful country with beautiful women. i am sorry you cannot participate in GT Academy, but thats where my sympathy ends, =)

cheers

Hey swedish brothers, we danes suffer too. Obviously PD thought Tom Kristensen is a german, so they got their own GTA. Fools, I tell you!

But I did the fake account trick and once installed, the game works fine even on my usual danish PSN account.

All I hope is that the rankings will be full of non-contenders to make it look all silly. At least the japanese are doing a good job of that.

Speaking of excluded motoring nations... Ahem, Finland.
Only the most rally world champions and championships of any nation and most F1 world champions per capita.

I guess Finland was left out so that others would have a snowball's chance in hell. :D

A funny read. Im like Nico Rosberg, who has two nationalities, at least he can play in germany, but not in his dads home suburb of Stockholm called Solna.
Im english living here in Sweden. If I stayed at home, I could enter, but because I got a fit young wife, I'm excluded.
As for the finns? Great drivers.

Create a uk psn account. Download gt academy 12 and then start it with your original account. At least there will be some swedish flags at the leaderboards.

I changed my mind. That is a Volvo 850 T5? I used to work on those.... Anyone who thinks a Volvo isn't fast needs to drive some of their cars. My favorite (besides the S60R) would have to be the V70R. A grocery-getter with 300hp...c'mon man... :D

Silly Americans...
I like people who can joke about their nationality. :dopey:

I changed my mind. That is a Volvo 850 T5? I used to work on those.... Anyone who thinks a Volvo isn't fast needs to drive some of their cars. My favorite (besides the S60R) would have to be the V70R. A grocery-getter with 300hp...c'mon man... :D

Yes, that is a 850. Not sure if it's the T5, but I imagine they would go for the high end model so it probably is a T5. Thanks for putting togheter quality cars, makes my happy to see someone appreciate volvos for what they do best...grocery-getting. :sly:.

Yes, that is a 850. Not sure if it's the T5, but I imagine they would go for the high end model so it probably is a T5. Thanks for putting togheter quality cars, makes my happy to see someone appreciate volvos for what they do best...grocery-getting. :sly:.
That's Rickard Rydell's 1996 BTCC 850 20v. It's actually not a T5, but a naturally aspirated 2L 20 valve 5 cylinder. BTCC regulations (BTCC 2 Litre Touring Car Formula/FIA Super Touring) of that time didn't allow forced induction.

Well I'm not going to brag about the naturally aspirated 850... :D Though I'm sure some work has been done to it.

I should begin to explain that SWE is the abbreviated form for the country of Sweden, as it is little known outside of its own borders.

The Swedish are known for being brutal and pillaging Vikings, certainly not something you would let on to a racetrack. It is therefore understandable that Sweden is excluded from participating in GT Academy - the safety of others could simply not be guaranteed.

Yes, foolish attemtps have been made to let Swedes on to the track in the past. You may have heard of Formula 1 driver Ronnie Peterson or 1998 Indy Racing League Champion Kenny Bräck.
Ronnie, of course, died in the aftermath of a crash where he was reckless enough to be bumped into by another driver.
And Kenny, while he still lives, was involved in a crash where the highest G-force was recorded, because he was careless enough to be veered in to by another driver.

Indeed, the case of why the Swedes are not allowed to compete for a spot in the GT Academy is, as they say, an open and shut one.

But to my understanding the GT Academy involves only time trials (being from Sweden I can of course not play it so I do not know for sure), and I wonder to myself: Are the Swedish really so dangerous that the risk of letting them on to the track, alone and in a simulated enviromnet, is too great for others?

Because going to the PlayStation Store I could not even find the GT Academy 2012 file, until recently when I found that "This content cannot be accessed on your account."

You mean this ronnie that is alive?

Attachments

• peterson_steve.jpg
    peterson_steve.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
Nissan Sweden or whatever equiviliant will be the ones that need to take charge. Try contacting Nissan for the Nordic regions and ask for their assistance.

Nissan Sweden or whatever equiviliant will be the ones that need to take charge. Try contacting Nissan for the Nordic regions and ask for their assistance.

It's not up to Nissan Sweden, it's up to the Nissan European board of directors. I already contacted Nissan Sweden via Twitter and that is what they told me.

They probably decided for this year to not let the Nordic countries & Canada participate due to cutting costs.

Back