GT Academy 8-5 Video/Tutorial Guide

• Thread starter Tidgney
  • 115 comments
Fair play to you Tidgney! At a time when it is ultra competitive at the top of the leaderboards it is admirable that along with posting your own super low laptime you took the time to post all of your GT Academy mini tutorials and the ultimate 8-5 guide which has been a great help to many, including myself. I am sure you have probably even helped some of your closest competitors speed up and that shows great sense of character on your behalf.

I don't get too much time to play and up to last Sunday my best time was a 33.9 but armed with a few good tips from your video I managed to improve by a full 1.1 seconds to a 32.8! Even then it was a pretty messy lap and I can see where I lost time but as I'm heading off for a holiday that's going to be my lot.

So thanks for your advice. Your a model GTPer and best of luck in the finals!

Fair play to you Tidgney! At a time when it is ultra competitive at the top of the leaderboards it is admirable that along with posting your own super low laptime you took the time to post all of your GT Academy mini tutorials and the ultimate 8-5 guide which has been a great help to many, including myself. I am sure you have probably even helped some of your closest competitors speed up and that shows great sense of character on your behalf.

I don't get too much time to play and up to last Sunday my best time was a 33.9 but armed with a few good tips from your video I managed to improve by a full 1.1 seconds to a 32.8! Even then it was a pretty messy lap and I can see where I lost time but as I'm heading off for a holiday that's going to be my lot.

So thanks for your advice. Your a model GTPer and best of luck in the finals!

Cheers :), I'm just trying to help out people who may be struggling at certain points, or don't understand a certain aspect, which should hopefully help out improving times. Once again another amazing thing to see, with the improvement, a full 1 second is really something great work!

I will take your luck though and hopefully turn it into success this Academy finals, I'm fitter, stronger, and better than ever (Especially compared to last years finals!) :D!

I'd like to second Turnupdaheat's comment....even if our names are complete opposites. LOL

I too found over a second after watching your video.

Thank you so much for your tutorial! I was stuck at 31.969 for about a week until I stumbled across your video on YouTube. Your tips helped me get down to a 31.850 last night and 31.752 this morning! I seem to be losing the most time through both S-bends. I follow your advice to use 75% throttle, but when I try to carry the same speed into the first S-bend (turns 4-5), the car struggles with turn-in. On the second S-bend (turns 8-9), I don't have any problem matching your apex speeds, but if I try to accelerate as much as you in the short distance between turn 8 and turn 9, I completely overshoot turn 9. When you turn in, do you turn the wheel abruptly or very gradually?

If I can improve the two S-bend complexes, I might have a shot at advancing to the next round. If I upload a video, would you be willing to have a look and help me figure out where I'm going wrong?

Also, could you post the sector times from your tutorial? If you pause the replay and use the arrows on-screen, you can jump between the different sectors to display the exact sector time.

Thank you so much for your tutorial! I was stuck at 31.969 for about a week until I stumbled across your video on YouTube. Your tips helped me get down to a 31.850 last night and 31.752 this morning! I seem to be losing the most time through both S-bends. I follow your advice to use 75% throttle, but when I try to carry the same speed into the first S-bend (turns 4-5), the car struggles with turn-in. On the second S-bend (turns 8-9), I don't have any problem matching your apex speeds, but if I try to accelerate as much as you in the short distance between turn 8 and turn 9, I completely overshoot turn 9. When you turn in, do you turn the wheel abruptly or very gradually?

If I can improve the two S-bend complexes, I might have a shot at advancing to the next round. If I upload a video, would you be willing to have a look and help me figure out where I'm going wrong?

Not a problem :), The first S-bend I've narrowed my steering substantially since increasing my apex speed, and really with the first s-bend (Chicane) it's all about straightening with as little steering input as possible. Try focus on going more to the left on turn 3 with a little less speed, and then gradually work towards that, it should help your line through the chicane.

The second one, try brake a bit earlier I've been practicing a new line through there where I don't drop below 70 on the second bend and it really helps on the exit, so if you brake a slight bit earlier maybe even drop to 67 and then just turn in, let the back end drift out slightly but then accelerate 80% through it should give you a good overall average speed through both corners.

If you want to upload a video I'd be happy to look at it, I have done this for a few people now, and more than happy to help. Will be most likely in the evening (British Time) as im working all day, and usually answering questions on my dinner hour :).

Ok, so I'm using a controller to do my 8-5 Im not so good at Manual Transmission (why? not my type and its hard) ABS: Is 1 My TC is 4 ASM: On SRF: Off AS: Strong Automatic Transmission Driving Line is On Ghost CSS is 0 Can you help with doing a AT Transmission...is there something missing or something needed taken away? Help me Help me Help me! I'm only geting an average of 1 42!! Help

Ok, so I'm using a controller to do my 8-5 Im not so good at Manual Transmission (why? not my type and its hard) ABS: Is 1 My TC is 4 ASM: On SRF: Off AS: Strong Automatic Transmission Driving Line is On Ghost CSS is 0 Can you help with doing a AT Transmission...is there something missing or something needed taken away? Help me Help me Help me! I'm only geting an average of 1 42!! Help

Hey,

I've just replied to your comment in the video :).

-edit content removed-

EDIT: One of the kids jammed the triangle key on one of the DS3's, turned it on, and it was ever so slightly in "R"... improved .3 since then oops :(

Really good video and tips. All of it common sense stuff but very detailed and helpful. +1

EDIT again: I may have finally reached my bounds as I don't really have any more time. Down to a 34.4 and I can't see going any faster in the 15min I have left. Going to the Grand-Am races for the next three days.

I'm going to go back to this though once this abomination of a car is delivered and the track is available.

I wish good luck to all you "aliens" running sub 31.5 lol!

Last edited:
Down to a 32.8 from a 33.4 with at least 4 tenth that I had and lost on my ghost lap surprisingly the gentler i am the faster i am maybe I was a bit too aggressive in the corners, Cheers mate

Do you have any advice to the turn in point on the first chicane? It's a blind apex because of the slight hill and I am very inconsistent with my turn in.

I aim to straight line the chicane as much as possible, my turn in point is more done with the speedo here 69-70 mph and aiming for the cones as the cones on the right (First part of the chicane) are further to the right than the second part. As soon as you pass those cones you should already be aiming for the next set. It is feel as well with that corner to. I'll see what I do tonight when I have a quick go, before tomorrows big push!

Thank you for this, Tidgney. Enjoy the Premium service. 👍

Wow thankyou (I honestly didn't expect anything I was just doing it to help the community out as a whole), did you make this happen GTR :)?

Thank You Tidgney I hope to improve my horrible 1:32.2 and Totally redeem myself!:dunce:

for your Valiant video i present you with this... I even find my self selfish at sharing any information regarding this T.T. you have turn my selfish views around.

Congratulations on the premium member ship! well deserved!:cheers:

GIFSoup

Last edited:
Wow thankyou (I honestly didn't expect anything I was just doing it to help the community out as a whole), did you make this happen GTR :)?
Told you that you deserved premium in my first post in this thread glad someone could afford to give it to you.
👍 Thumbs up GT-R:tup::cheers:

Just wanted to say a big thanks for the video, sir. I was hitting a bit of a wall teaching myself how to get a better time - which is understandable considering the teacher is a total amateur racer. :sly: Went from a 1m34.1 to a 1m32.8 placing me 63rd in Canada and 5155th in the world. :cheers:

Sorry for the late "Tank you very much!", Tidgney, but I hadn't got any opportunity earlier... Indeed it's not helpful just for GTA 8-5 and I hope to use your instructions in comming TTs :)

Back