GT All Stars....just won it but....

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alaneye
  • 26 comments
  • 2,427 views
Messages
57
...I struggled. I have DFP and I'm not what you call an ace driver...I tried to win this in the Jag you win for completing 50% of the game. First two races were fine, then I ran into trouble. I tried the Minolta and the Nissan R92, messing with settings but found that at high speed the Minolta and the R92 began skittering and skidding all over the place, even when driving in a straight line, no matter what I did.

To cut a long story short, I finally won the series in the R92 with super hard tyres on the back and hard on the front. I took off the turbo and, by not always flooring the gas, was just about able to keep control of the car at high speed.

The Test Ring, however, and Le Sarthe was a nightmare. I messed with the gearing so it didn't top out on the top speed. But the R92 kept wanting to slide from side to side and could hit the barrier if I wasn't careful. I tell ya, my hands were cramped by gripping the steering wheel and trying to keep the car from veering across the track.

So, my question is, where was I going wrong? Why do some cars act up like that and what kind of things should you adjust to get it to grip the road better?
Alan

Edit...hmmm, maybe I should have put this in the Settings forum.
 
You're not doing anything wrong. Extreme Hall is called Extreme Hall, because oddly enough, the events are Extreme. This isn't meant to be your basic Sunday Cup where your only competition is Mr Plod (apologies if any forum members use this as their name) in his little Daihatsu. The events are extremely difficult, hence the name.
 
Do you race?
You're not doing anything wrong. Extreme Hall is called Extreme Hall, because oddly enough, the events are Extreme. This isn't meant to be your basic Sunday Cup where your only competition is Mr Plod (apologies if any forum members use this as their name) in his little Daihatsu. The events are extremely difficult, hence the name.

Ah, so you are saying the difficulty is because of the handling of the cars you need to use in these races? I mean, the races were only for 6 A-spec points, so I thought the difficulty was due to me not knowing how to tune the car.
Alan
 
Alaneye
Ah, so you are saying the difficulty is because of the handling of the cars you need to use in these races? I mean, the races were only for 6 A-spec points, so I thought the difficulty was due to me not knowing how to tune the car.
Alan
No, the AI will use hyper-powered cars with fairly grippy tyres. Just persevere with harder ones (like for example the Real Circuit Tours)a nd you'll be rewarded by not having to pit.
 
Do you race?
No, the AI will use hyper-powered cars with fairly grippy tyres. Just persevere with harder ones (like for example the Real Circuit Tours)a nd you'll be rewarded by not having to pit.

So the skittering and slipping of the car is due to hard and super hard tyres? I used medium and hard for most of the races, only changing to hard and super hard for the 9 lap races.
Alan
 
Alaneye
So the skittering and slipping of the car is due to hard and super hard tyres? I used medium and hard for most of the races, only changing to hard and super hard for the 9 lap races.
Alan

Almost sounds like chassis refresh time. Do your cars have a lot of miles on them? If so check with the tuners to see if you can do a refresh. The Minolta is rock solid on most tracks that I have driven it on until the chassis goes away.
 
bigjoe
Almost sounds like chassis refresh time. Do your cars have a lot of miles on them? If so check with the tuners to see if you can do a refresh. The Minolta is rock solid on most tracks that I have driven it on until the chassis goes away.
Hiya bigjoe: 👍 IMHO if he had driven any of his rides enough to necessitate a "Chassis Refresh" he would be fast enough NOT to need an LMP or GrpC ride to beat "Gran Turismo All Stars."

@ Alaneye: Raise your cars SUSPENSION a bit. 👍 UNLIKE GT3 cars in GT4 do NOT respond well to being "Slammed." ...O.G. :D
 
You guys talking about chassis refresh... I was racing GTWC last night with the Toyota MINOLTA @ Tokyo R246 (RM/RH)... A little after crossing the lap line, every single lap, the car started to shake like it was going to fall apart, and would go like this all the way until I started braking to corner #1. The car is stock (besides the tires and oil change) and is brand new, that was the first race with it. (well, I tried it a couple of times, but is is rather new...) is that a normal behavior? Does it need a chassis refresh?!
 
Old Geezer
...Raise your cars suspension a bit. Unlike GT3, cars in GT4 do NOT respond well to being "Slammed."

Amen, brother. We reflexively lowered all cars in GT3. Big mistake in GT4. Ride height is a wholly different issue in the new game.
 
ppucci
You guys talking about chassis refresh... I was racing GTWC last night with the Toyota MINOLTA @ Tokyo R246 (RM/RH)... A little after crossing the lap line, every single lap, the car started to shake like it was going to fall apart, and would go like this all the way until I started braking to corner #1. The car is stock (besides the tires and oil change) and is brand new, that was the first race with it. (well, I tried it a couple of times, but is is rather new...) is that a normal behavior? Does it need a chassis refresh?!
Hiya ppucci: Go into the Toyota Tune Up area & check the box to the Right of "Tyres" (Sorry I don't have my PS2 on ATM!) "Chassis Refreash" is all the way to the Right. The "Game" will NOT allow you to purchase it if the car doesn't need it (IF I remember correctly!) You might check the "Rollbar" Icon just to the left (After the weight reduction Icons.) A VERY good investment for 30,000 credits if you haven't done it already! 👍 ...O.G. :D
 
Old Geezer
Hiya ppucci: Go into the Toyota Tune Up area & check the box to the Right of "Tyres" (Sorry I don't have my PS2 on ATM!) "Chassis Refreash" is all the way to the Right. The "Game" will NOT allow you to purchase it if the car doesn't need it (IF I remember correctly!) You might check the "Rollbar" Icon just to the left (After the weight reduction Icons.) A VERY good investment for 30,000 credits if you haven't done it already! 👍 ...O.G. :D


Buy the Chassis refreshner First, and then purchase the rollbar/cage. If you do the opposite your car will handle like crap forever...or until the effect runs out. Does the Rollbar/cage ever run out??? :dopey:
 
Old Geezer
Hiya ppucci: Go into the Toyota Tune Up area & check the box to the Right of "Tyres" (Sorry I don't have my PS2 on ATM!) "Chassis Refreash" is all the way to the Right. The "Game" will NOT allow you to purchase it if the car doesn't need it (IF I remember correctly!) You might check the "Rollbar" Icon just to the left (After the weight reduction Icons.) A VERY good investment for 30,000 credits if you haven't done it already! 👍 ...O.G. :D

O.G., the question is, is it supposed to behave like that being brand new? :confused:
 
ppucci
O.G., the question is, is it supposed to behave like that being brand new? :confused:
I wouldn't think there'd be a "Refresher" problem until you've got around 2000 Miles (3200km) on it. Your comment about Tokyo Rte246 did remind me however that even in GT3 with high powered rides it was a little "Shaky" on the main straight. :eek: I haven't noticed it as much in GT4 but the Chicane right before T-2 is a little "Dicey" for me in high powered rides! :eek::eek: ...O.G. :D
 
Personally i thought Gt all stars was a breeze compared to the GT world championship. Did it in the F1 car tho... :sly:
 
Old Geezer
I wouldn't think there'd be a "Refresher" problem until you've got around 2000 Miles (3200km) on it. Your comment about Tokyo Rte246 did remind me however that even in GT3 with high powered rides it was a little "Shaky" on the main straight. :eek: I haven't noticed it as much in GT4 but the Chicane right before T-2 is a little "Dicey" for me in high powered rides! :eek::eek: ...O.G. :D

If you have the time you should definetelly check it out. Toyota MINOLTA stock with r-medium in front and r-hard in the back, change oil and go dash in that straight.... for me it feels that if let the wheel go, I would turn into a pinball ball... :nervous:
 
El Gigante
Personally i thought Gt all stars was a breeze compared to the GT world championship. Did it in the F1 car tho... :sly:
INDEED! Shorter Races = NO Pit strategy needed & most likely Softer Tyres can be used. Try them both in a JGTC500 Ride if you need a little more challenge than using the Formula GT! :sly:

ppucci
If you have the time you should definetelly check it out. Toyota MINOLTA stock with r-medium in front and r-hard in the back, change oil and go dash in that straight.... for me it feels that if let the wheel go, I would turn into a pinball ball...
Will DO 👍 as soon as I get a chance. Think I've got a "Near New" & a "Brand New" Minolta in the Garage ...O.G. :D
 
The only thing I can think of is that your car is bottoming out!!! :confused: because of the force feedback the car is sliding all over the place, specially in La sarthe (sp)
By you trying to counter steer the bounce. try softening your springs or raising the ride height. You cannot drop the car like you could in gt3... :dopey:

oops :dunce: O.G. already mentioned this...my bad :dopey:
 
I think the GTWC should be in the extreme hall and all stars should be in pro hall. Who agrees?
 
Alaneye
So the skittering and slipping of the car is due to hard and super hard tyres? I used medium and hard for most of the races, only changing to hard and super hard for the 9 lap races.
Alan

Check out some of the setups by a fellow what goes by 'fumes' on www.gtvault.com

He does some suspension work that takes out a LOT of those handling issues.

UMP
 
UPDATE to Post #17:​
Hiya ppucci: As promised I took both my Minoltas to Tokyo Rte 246 & Le Sarthe II for testing. Unfortunately I didn't re-read your note beforehand so they did NOT have the tyre combo you suggested! :dunce:

First I must say THANK YOU for reminding me to drive this car! :cheers: Probably been around four months since Ive been "In" it because I really couldn't find any challenging races for it! What a "Sweetheart" to drive! 👍 Both in "as won" & Maxxed out form! Goes like "Stink" & has brakes that would stop a Freight Train! :eek: This thing could really "Spoil" you concerning driving pretty much any other car in the Game!

Anyhow...Ran my "Brand New" one at Tokyo w/NO adjustments or Oil Change (Even FULL ASM & TCS) which yeilded 919 HP, R-3/R-3 Tyre Combo. Got a little "Shake" about the Start/Finish line but not nearly as bad as I expected or remembered from GT3.

Next up was my "Used" one w/600 miles on the clock. I fitted T4 but left everything else the same. HP was 1222 w/R-3/R-2 Tyre Combo. Results were NO Better or NO worse then the Stock version! :confused:

Since I was already in the "Big' One I used it first @ Circuit de la Sarthe II. I chose that venue because of the long straight "Sans" chicanes. I was a little dissappointed at the top speed (252 thru the "Kink") as I've seen 264 in my "Black" Toyota GT One :confused: BUT...overall I annihilated my previous best with a 2'51.222 within three laps. I'm sure with more tuning & Softer Tyres it'll easily run in the 2'40s even with ME driving! :eek: Lots of "Shake" down the Mulsanne & a couple of other places but nothing I'd deem "Scary!" :scared:

Then I jumped in the stocker (919 HP) & had a similar experience except Lap time rose to a 2'59.402 without the aid of the Big Turbo. Remember this is w/STOCK Settings & Full ASM/TCS.

Not sure if all this info will help or not...Wish I could see just how bad yours is shaking! :irked: I've got mine set for as MUCH Feedback as possible, since I feel Feedback in GT4 is vastly INFERIOR to that in GT3 or GT4 Prologue! :indiff: ...O.G. :D
 
ACtually after ever 400 miles the chassis refresh option is available i tested this with 5 different cars the clk dtm,cadillac cien,bmw v12, bmw m3 and the eagle talon and once ever 400 miles u can refresh the chassis which is recommened
 
Old Geezer
...First I must say THANK YOU for reminding me to drive this car! :cheers: Probably been around four months since Ive been "In" it because I really couldn't find any challenging races for it! What a "Sweetheart" to drive! 👍 Both in "as won" & Maxxed out form! Goes like "Stink" & has brakes that would stop a Freight Train! :eek: This thing could really "Spoil" you concerning driving pretty much any other car in the Game!...

O.G., I must say that car handles like nothing I've ever driven before. I don't know why, but you can "feel" the car glued to the ground, it is just amazing! :D

About the shaking, I don't know, I never playede GT3 with DFP, as I just got it about one month ago. I have GT3 here, though, so I might try it out... But the shaking, I think it would happen in RL if I was driving a car that fast in a street course. I just felt that was strange because 1) the car was brand new and it was supposed not to need a refresh and 2) I have never had anything like that with other cars in GT4 (not that I have played that much yet... just on 30% right now...

Just by reading your post makes me feel playing all night long (after all, it's friday night, no work tomorrow!!! wohooo :)) however I have my in-laws at home some I think I will be "grounded" :nervous: for a week or so, once they sleep in the very room I play :(
 
i did it in the PD F1 car.. i won a l33t orange one..
 
Old Geezer
IMHO if he had driven any of his rides enough to necessitate a "Chassis Refresh" he would be fast enough NOT to need an LMP or GrpC ride to beat "Gran Turismo All Stars."

Hey O.G. don't talk about me as if I'm not here! :) You are right though. As I said, I'm not the best driver. I'll try raising it a bit and see if it helps things. It was a general type question for when I hit this problem in any car.
Alan
 
Alaneye
Hey O.G. don't talk about me as if I'm not here! :) You are right though. As I said, I'm not the best driver. I'll try raising it a bit and see if it helps things. It was a general type question for when I hit this problem in any car.
Alan
VERY SORRY Alaneye! :O NO offense was intended...O.G. :D
 
Back