GT Auto wheels/rims guide?

Spain
Spain
I have not found any particular thread talking about detailed stuff on the wheels/tires/rims, their sizes and how they affect the car's performance. So I'm asking this because honestly I'm a bit clueless on the subject.

I tried to put massive wheels on an old VW Beetle in order to try to get more grip, and the result was... unbearable understeer, the car got simply undriveable. I mean, if its not a physics bug, then it must be that the wheels simply don't fit the car? I mean it's ridiculous, if the car is going to behave like that, they better just not allow putting them on??

And in general, I'd appreciate any tips on the subject, to know how to change wheels for the better, if possible, not for the worse.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have not found any particular thread talking about detailed stuff on the wheels/tires/rims, their sizes and how they affect the car's performance. So I'm asking this because honestly I'm a bit clueless on the subject.

I tried to put massive wheels on an old VW Beetle in order to try to get more grip, and the result was... unbearable understeer, the car got simply undriveable. I mean, if its not a physics bug, then it must be that the wheels simply don't fit the car? I mean it's ridiculous, if the car is going to behave like that, they better just not allow putting them on??

And in general, I'd appreciate any tips on the subject, to know how to change wheels for the better, if possible, not for the worse.

Thanks in advance
I’ll start: did you lower the suspension when you put wide wheels on it? They may be hitting the inside wheel well and preventing you from turning. This is even more true of you put a wide offset on the wheels. Either way, even if you didn’t lower your ride height the wheels may be too restricted with stick settings so you should try raising the height a bit to see if it gives you enough clearance.

Last edited:
The overall diameter of the wheel+tyre shouldn't change whatever size wheel you install. The brakes do seem to get larger but I've not noticed any difference with that, nor had a change in PP. I tend to only use the wide offset with the wide body too, usually those have decent clearance and can end up with quite a bit wider tyres than stock.

As Bullwinkle says, raise the ride height by 20mm and see if it still does it.

I’ll start: did you lower the suspension when you put wide wheels on it? They may be hitting the inside wheel well and preventing you from turning. This is even more true of you put a wide offset on the wheels. Either way, even if you didn’t lower your ride height the wheels may be too restricted with stick settings so you should try raising the height a bit to see if it gives you enough clearance.
That's the thing, don't you think the game should prevent you to lower it too much if it's going to touch the wheel well?
The overall diameter of the wheel+tyre shouldn't change whatever size wheel you install. The brakes do seem to get larger but I've not noticed any difference with that, nor had a change in PP. I tend to only use the wide offset with the wide body too, usually those have decent clearance and can end up with quite a bit wider tyres than stock.

As Bullwinkle says, raise the ride height by 20mm and see if it still does it.
Yes I noticed they just get wider not taller, but getting wider may be a problem aswell unless you widen the body too maybe

That's the thing, don't you think the game should prevent you to lower it too much if it's going to touch the wheel well?
As with most tuning, there are no absolutes and most success is achieved through trial and error. It wouldn’t be fun if they only gave you, for example, three settings for the combination of wheels and suspension. Just raise the height on the front for turn clearance and see if it works.

And then thank your lucky stars that PD didn’t limit these decisions for you because their track record so far is pretty shaky…

Well, having a slammed suspension is part of the customising culture. Not the new age Stances stuff, but actual lowrider culture.
As for tyres rubbing, PD haven't factored in race suspension tuning. Cars like Super Tourers have the fenders cut to allow for 19" tyres and some turning ability. HOWEVER, those cars and certain other race cars don't have tight turing circles. So, they don't have the steering angles of a drift car.
A good example of this, are the GR.3 road cars. They can sit as low as the race cars, but the fenders are open enough not to rub.
Again, the lowest ride height settings are mainly for photos.

Back