GT Noob learning to drift ... not going well so far

• Thread starter Xero2Sixty
  • 14 comments
Xero2Sixty
JoeGTR
First of all, let me say that i haven't played any of the GT parts before GT5P and actually Forza 3 was my first racing game. I also learned to drift on Forza and mastered it after about 8 weeks. Tandems and all, no problem. I thought GT might be different, but i should get it sorted after a couple of hours as i was already used to the basic techniques (brake, faint, shiftlock, power over) but i couldn't have been more wrong :guilty:. I've tried the 1-Series tii, E92M3, RX7 Spirit R ... almost everything that's RWD, but no chance :grumpy:. FYI: I'm using a Fanatec PWTS with 900° Steering Degree and the 6-Speed Manual with clutch. I've tried changing the tunes, Pro Physics, Standard Physics, different Types of Tires ... nothing. Either i lose power and end up understeering mid drift, or i just spin :odd:. I've read that you're supposed to practice in Time Trial mode, but i didn't see a way to adjust my tune there, as the option is greyed out. Funnily i do a lot(!) better with the Sixxaxis. How hard can it be? :confused: I don't want to let the Wheel stand in the corner of my livingroom collecting dust, just to be able to do decent in drifting. Any feedback/help/hints appreciated.

I can't help you in terms of helping you to drift as such however I can show you a topic i made that should help you learn to hold a slide...not so much a drift but a slide. It helped me a lot. The topic is entitled 'g25 counter steering tips'. :) Sorry I couldn't be of more help. There is one more thing that helps me slightly...i lift off before entering the corner and then chuck the car in, then when the position feels right i feather the throttle (lightly). Not a drifter at all really but i like to help if I can.

Someone else will come on hopefully and help you further. Here's that topic about counter-steer. Might not be what you're looking for but it might help :)

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=130647

start just doing the power oversteer and when you learn to hold that without spining than try to initiate drift while turning in, i use faint with combination of lift off and than push the pedal to the metal to get the angle and than just balance there, use pro physics, i'm using N3 tires always
good stock car to practice for me is M3 and 350z so that way there's no need to tune them and you can practice in time trial mode

I've been trying to brush up my skills in GT:P in preparation for GT:5. What I've been doing lately is practicing with the Mustang GT in drift trials with the Hp bumped up to 350-400 hp. I'll either take it to Eiger and practice there or I'll go to Suzuka or Fuji and turn around and do the D1 sections.

Keep the Physics on Pro and mainly use n3 tires. AFAIK the Drift Trial mode is the only way to tune the car.

Thanks Loon. I've now settled for the E92 M3 with Pro Physics and N3 tires. HP is between 400 - 450, and i mostly practice on Suzuka East because that's the Track i feel most comfortable on. I've learned to use less opposite lock going in, and watching my throttle control a bit more. I'm getting better but am nowhere near my Forza level. I'll keep at it though.

Try practicing the Manji drift, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoErWThOHhg), and dont be scared to manhandle the wheel, they are pretty sturdy, this is good for learning the limits of the car and how much angle u can get without spinning. Also, i learned alot of it is where u place your hands, try different steering methods, LOL, then its just seat/chair time.

Ok I might just be dumb but when I practice in time trial I think Im in a drift and so then I got and do an actual drift trial and relize I'm not drifting at all. I'm pretty sure this is a dumb question but how can u tell ur in a drift is it your tires squiling or what.

I guess drifting is classified as how much angle your car has and how much opposite lock the front wheels have, short explanation.

Try practicing the Manji drift, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoErWThOHhg), and dont be scared to manhandle the wheel, they are pretty sturdy, this is good for learning the limits of the car and how much angle u can get without spinning. Also, i learned alot of it is where u place your hands, try different steering methods, LOL, then its just seat/chair time.

cheers for this info! I thought it was a leaked video of GT5 Drift Mode for a second!

I also need help, whitch car is best for noobs? and how do you do it best? i can drift with controller but now im trying to learn it with the DFGT, Help!! =)

I would say the Tuned Suzuki Cappuccino on N2s or the 350z on N2s. Its hard to just teach anyone to drift with writing it. It changes from person to person on what you need as a driver to learn. I have this video I did alomst 2 years ago that has helped people on how to handle the wheel.

There is no need to work yourself more than you need to when drifting. I've taught some people on how to drift in GT5p using XBL to chat as we drive. Being able to talk makes it a breeze, but for now I would suggest going to HSR with the 350z on N2s. Go to the S turns, go at 55mph, and practice holding the drift as you come out of the turns. Do not worry about drifting the entire corner, but just keeping it from spinning or from snap back.

Hope this helps and if it does Ill post the setup for the 350z.

I would say the Tuned Suzuki Cappuccino on N2s or the 350z on N2s. Its hard to just teach anyone to drift with writing it. It changes from person to person on what you need as a driver to learn. I have this video I did alomst 2 years ago that has helped people on how to handle the wheel.

There is no need to work yourself more than you need to when drifting. I've taught some people on how to drift in GT5p using XBL to chat as we drive. Being able to talk makes it a breeze, but for now I would suggest going to HSR with the 350z on N2s. Go to the S turns, go at 55mph, and practice holding the drift as you come out of the turns. Do not worry about drifting the entire corner, but just keeping it from spinning or from snap back.

Hope this helps and if it does Ill post the setup for the 350z.

Which track ? Please poat a setup for the 350z?

I didnt even think about the track. I was thinking of the best way to explain how to drift.:guilty:
It is High Speed Ring using the S-Turns.

The car is the regular 350z.
HP: +24
kg: 85%

Tires: N2

Ride Height: -28F -28R
Spring Rate: 5F 4R
Damper: 7F 6R
Toe: 0.00F 0.00R With toe I usually do -0.04F +0.02R, but with this setup I kept it at 0. I noticed when I did add the toe it made the car seem to grip more.
Chamber Angle: 2.5F 1.5R
Brake Balance: 2F 3R This is totally up to you as I've found I can use the brakes to adjust my angle going into a corner.

Max Turning Angle: 50
Traction: OFF
ABS: OFF This is up to you as with no abs I have more control over the car.

Transmission1st 3.562-44mph
2nd 2.541-62mph
3rd 1.608-99mph
4th 1.320-120mph
5th 1.097-145mph
6th 0.876-193
Final: 3.744

This will hopefully help.

Last edited:
Back