GT Omnium Championship - Time Trials, Sprints and Enduros

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tyrrell_1
Please say so if this has been proposed before.

I got the idea from last year's Olympic track cycling 'Omnium': a series of different events, in which players score points. The idea is to provide a challenge to see who is the quickest all-round racer.

The way I imagine it is to have a series of weekly events. At each event, players use the same car, most likely in stock form to keep it simple.

There would be three types of event: a live time trial, a sprint heat event, and an endurance. For each type of event, the maximum total of points awarded is the same - each of the three disciplines are given equal priority. Each event would take roughly the same amount of time to complete - most likely around 1.5-2 hours.

Time Trial:
Players take turns to set a fastest lap, while the others in the lobby may watch. When a driver goes out, they complete their out-lap, and then get (for example) 2 or 3 timed laps. Each player's fastest laps are recorded in time order, and each position is awarded a set amount of points.

Sprints:
A series of quick races, using reverse grids. Heat duration would be around 10-15 minutes or so. Players score points for their positions in each race, and are added up at the end, mini-championship style.

Endurance:
One race, for the duration of the event. Same total of points awarded as Time Trial and Sprints.

At the end, all points are added up and an Onmium Champion is crowned.

There are many different ways of making up the championship, or having a 'theme' to it - whether to just use a single car for the whole series, or perhaps one car for each drivetrain type (eg. FF, FR, MR and 4WD, each of the three events for each - 12 rounds in total).

What do we think? :)

Sounds like a good 'un, but as you know time is limited for myself at the moment and my only specific evening for GT is Sundays, which again as you know are going to be filled with official GBRC races as of next week.
Cracking idea though.
Jim.

Back