GT Online Officialy Announced! Along with others!

• Thread starter MistaX
  • 12 comments

MistaX

Deus Rex
Premium
United States
North Jersey
MistaX1
In an artical at gamers.com:

"In a move that seems perfectly timed to steal thunder from Microsoft's Xbox launch next week in Japan, Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) on Wednesday held a press conference in Tokyo to reveal many of its plans for 2002.
Included in the announcements was a rundown of some of the biggest titles headed for PlayStation 2 this year--many of which have been completely shrouded in secrecy up until now--as well as a better peak at what Sony's online service will entail.

First off, the online games. While Microsoft has been touting its Xbox as the platform of choice for online gaming (without actually showing much in terms of online software yet), SCE today announced a list of online PS2 games that is likely to sway all opinion in Japan. Here is a quick rundown of the titles that the company spoke about:

Resident Evil Online (Capcom)
Gran Turismo Online (Sony)
Hot Shots Golf Online (Sony)
Vib Ribbon Online (Sony)
Arc the Lad Online (Sony)
Auto Modellista (Capcom)
Tokyo Xtreme Racer Online (Genki)
Hundred Swords (Sega)
Guru Guru Onsen (Sega)
Untitled Sim Game (Sega)
Untitled Racing Game (Sega)
Untitled 3D Flight Sim (Namco)
Untitled Action Adventure Game (Namco)
Namco Sports Online (Namco)
Clockwork Online (Namco)
Bomberman Online (Hudson)
Untitled Multiplayer Action Game (Tecmo)
Armored Core Sigma (From Software)
Nobunaga's Ambition Online (Koei)
The Dungeon of Druaga (Arika)
Untitled Music Game (Konami)
Untitled Sports Game (Konami)
Untitled Online Multiplayer RPG (Atlus)
Final Fantasy XI (Square)

The biggest announcement of the bunch is likely Resident Evil Online, although this is a game that Capcom has admitted to having been working on several times in the past. While Capcom has kept a handful of Resident Evil titles exclusive to Nintendo's GameCube, Resident Evil Online will at least still be playable on the PS2 (and, if all goes according to Capcom's original vision for the game, it'll run across all three platforms). As for Namco's announced online games, the "Untitled 3D Flight Sim" is likely to be a new installment in the Ace Combat series, and the "Untitled Action Adventure Game" is said to be a new Klonoa game. Unfortunately, none of the announced online titles carried specific release dates, but most are expected to fall within this year.

SCE also revealed a bunch of offline PS2 games for this year:

XI Explosion (Sony)
Ape Escape 2 (Sony)
Ninja Assault (Namco)
Fantavision For Couples (Sony)
Power Smash 2 (Namco)
Moto GP3 (Namco)
Ninja Assault (Namco)
Time Crisis 3 (Namco)
Tales of Destiny 4 (Namco)
Bomberman Land 3 (Hudson)
Axis (Namco)
Clock Tower 3 (Capcom)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Electronic Arts)
Lord of the Rings (Electronic Arts)

As for its online plans in Japan, SCE revealed some new details on its Broadband service for PS2. According to the company, the service will be provided by SCE but will be delivered through multiple ISPs, so subscription packages could vary based on the carrier. The basic services that SCE will offer from the start are a PS one game player (it plays emulated versions of the games over the net), a PS2 game player (downloadable PS2 games), E-mail and Instant Messanger functions, PlayStation Jukebox (downloadable music), and the Real Player software (for downloadable media such as movie files).

SCE also revealed that it plans to offer software that will allow the PS2, in conjunction with the Hard Disc Drive (HDD), to function as a video recording device (along the lines of TiVo)."

Great! Let's hope Sony finally decides to keep the Gran Turismo Online name this time...I just registered GranTurismoOnline.com. :D

Good job Jordan! now when they come to buy it from you, i want a small piece of the pie....

OK, since you were the first one to bring it to my attention, I'll give you a share... :D But, judging from previous domain name examples, I doubt they'll want to buy it from me. I'm just going to route the traffic to GTPlanet, unless Sony allows you to set up your own GT Online server (then, of course, I'll be setting one up at that address). :)

No, granturismo4.com has been registered for 2 years now (before I got into domain names). :(

Back