GT Sport (2017) Sportsmanship [SR] Guide

• Thread starter kjrognasir
  • 2 comments
United States
United States
GT Sport SR guide

**As of the 31 March 2017 update the SR is a lot different will be redoing this as it is not that good**

As someone who started with GT3, and played GT4 and GT5, only against the computer, it was ingrained in me to bash all the cpus off the track. In my first few GT Sport raced I did not even notice the SR and was dirty driving along with all the other SR E. Tired of being bashed off the road I looked into SR and worked at getting to SR S.

to go from this

to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9WO0W_Tq_s

tl;dr each track is divided into sections or splits and if you complete a section cleanly you will earn a [green up] SR arrow, you will not earn the [green up] SR arrow if you receive an [orange down] SR arrow for making contact with other drivers or race related penalties, at the end of each race you either go up a tier [blue] SR, stay at the same tier [gray] SR, or go down a tier [red] SR, to raise your SR finish sections without going off track and don't hit other drivers

https://ibb.co/h2GBAx

GT Sport, an almost flawless game in my opinion, after twenty thousand miles starting at SR B, dropping to SR E, grinding to SR S, slipping to SR C, back to SR S, down to SR C again, and back to SR S Ive had a lot of opportunities to learn how it works.

During the race near the top middle of the screen if you do anything deemed unsafe you will see an [orange down] SR and lose SR points, if you complete a section cleanly when your split time flashes a [green up] SR arrow will flash meaning you gained SR.

Each track is divided into sections or splits and if you complete a section cleanly you will earn a [green up] SR arrow.

You will not earn the [green up] SR arrow if you receive an [orange down] SR arrow, if you go off track or strike a wall or barrier unless it wasn’t your fault, if you receive penalty time, or sometimes if you are involved with another driver even if you do not take [orange down] SR, for that section.

If you receive track related penalty time(short cut, hitting wall) you can not earn [green up] SR for that section, but if you receive driver related penalty time(caution, other) and you drop the penalty time to zero before that section is over you can still receive [green up] SR arrow for that section. You can keep your penalty time and continue to receive [green up] arrows for future sections even if you hold that penalty time until the end of the race.

If you are sliding, even a controlled slide, if your tires are not gripping the road, and you are touched by another racer it is going to be your fault almost every time. If you take a corner too fast and have to skid to a stop or slow down and someone comes and hits you off the track you will still take the [orange down] SR since they hit you while your car was in a skid.

If someone divebombs the corner and you hold your line properly, if they try to squeeze into your place and shove you off then they should take the [orange down] SR arrow, but sometimes you both will plus the divebomber might get 5 or 10 seconds of penalty time.

If you push someone off track normally you will receive down SR and 5 or 10 seconds of penalty time if that person had a right to be there.

Sometimes you might get what seem like phantom 5 or 10 second penalties but usually what happened is you passed someone while the yellow was out, you can pass the flashing cars but not active racers, and personally since I'm not used to it when there is a crash I don't even notice the yellow, the ones that crashed might be flashing but some other races will be active but slowed down and I will fly right by them not even thinking about it.

Some corners are designed to be taken one car at a time but some corners can be taken side by side so if there is room for both of you if you don’t share the space then by touching it could give down SR to neither, either, or both of you.

If you make an error, for example slipping off the track or spinning your tires, its often your responsibility to let the faster races past you and fall in line behind them, trying to block them might earn you [orange down] SR.

I have seen racers brake checking others in the wrong places give [orange down] SR to either driver, or if you rear end someone in the corner, normally it will give it to the person who rear ended you, and if you rear end someone you are going to take [orange down] SR even if it’s a slight tap most of the time.

Rarely when someone rear ends you, you take the [orange down] SR, I see this happen most often where you have to brake from a high speed to an almost stop at a chicane for example, and I believe it is because if you lock up your brake technically you are not in control of your car for a split second so if you are hit from the back not in the proper braking zone and get hit in the back it might blame you or blame both and give the other person penalty time if you are forced off track. Im not sure if that is right but when you take [orange down] SR when getting hit the back that makes no sense to me unless I'm doing something I don't know about yet.

Sometimes you will get [orange down] SR plus penalty time for trying to take short cuts at high speeds especially through chicanes.

If you are rear ended going into a chicane and fly through the other side and are replaced or don’t use your brakes you might get [orange down] SR, but if you are rear ended and you do your best to drive through the chicane, even if you take a large shortcut you will not be penalized at all.

Ive noticed in a short race about 4 or 5 laps if you get just two and sometimes even just one [orange down] SR arrows you are going to be [red] SR for the race and lose a tier.

In longer 10-14 lap races two [orange down] SR is ok for [blue], three might be [blue] or [gray], and four or more is normally going to be [red] SR. This also depends on how many [green up] SR clean sections you had.

If your goal is to raise your SR I think it is easier in a longer race. In a shorter race you are going to have less room for error. I personally take one [orange down] SR almost every first lap but as the races goes on and the pack thins in a longer race and it is a lot easier to avoid people and stack [green up] SR. Once you get to SR S the races are legit and the real challenge begins.

***************************************************************************************

Here are some videos as example:

How not to drive. You should never be hitting other drivers.

Holding an inside line.

Bad corner late turn into oppenent and then dirty dive bomb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgep4JesfNQ

Crashed by someone else, not your fault, still receive [green up] SR

Taking [orange down] SR for trying to drop penalty time in a bad spot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk4fwF8fkto

Not sure why [orange down] SR here, sometime I think its just gonna happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Q_J_6UZpo

These two show at the start that you can smash someone else off the track and still get [green up] SR if it was not your fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-gmJcET9VU&t=17s

This last one is an example of a clean wire to wire race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAf71sfYsaI&t=50s

When a Sport race groups the field together it groups you together based on your SR (sportsmanship rating), your qualification time, and DR (driver rating).

SR S is the highest, then A, B, C, D, E as the worst, same with DR rating.

During the race near the top middle of the screen if you do anything deemed unsafe you will see an [orange down] SR and lose SR points, if you complete a section cleanly when your split time flashes a [green up] SR arrow will flash meaning you gained SR.

When a Sport race begins to match you it groups the field first by tiers of SR similar to this pattern here.

S

S A

S A B

A

A B

A B C

B

B C

B C D

C

C D

C D E

D

D E

E

It fits you close to a tier group like this but may very slightly since Driver Rating is a factor also.

Here is an example of me as an DR B:SR S and as DR B: SR B grouped with a wide variety of racers at different levels, when normally this is not the case and your are more likely to be grouped in with the tiers above based on your current ratings.

https://ibb.co/b5dfoH

https://ibb.co/fRjWAx

At the end of each race you either go up a tier [blue] SR, stay at the same tier [gray] SR, or go down a tier [red] SR.

Starting from SR E might take around 15 races to get to SR S but only 8 races from SR B, if you never had a [red] SR race.

If you have clean races or virtually clean races you can jump multiple tiers, and go straight from E to D to C to B in one race, I am not sure if you can do that for A and S.

You can drop multiple levels in one race, I once had two [orange down] SR arrows early in a race, rage quit and it dropped me from SR B to SR E. Also I've seen another racer drop from SR B to SR D in a race because he kept rear ending me when he thought I hit him off track, which I posted a link to above.

If you go the entire race wire to wire and earn every [green up] SR arrow, you will earn a clean race(the game keeps track of your consecutive clean races), and a 50% bonus on prize credits and experience points.

The higher the SR level the tougher the competition. You might be a consistent winner at the SR B level but racing with SR S driving you might be fighting for top 10. SR S is more of a challenge because its typically the fastest most consistent drivers, lower SR levels have a lot more crashes and action but at the risk of having your race ruined on the first lap way more often with bad and dirty drivers.

Your DR rating mostly will not be higher than your SR rating, you can be DR S:SR A but if you were DR B and drop to SR C you will drop to DR C also until you raise your SR again. If you're rating is DR S:SR S and if you lose SR then you can go to DR S:SR A but you can't go from DR A:SR A to DR S:SR A.

DR will increase due to having the pole position, winning, high finishes, and raising position. DR will decrease if your start in higher positions and finish in lower positions, it will also decrease for other poor driving reasons.

One strategy to raise SR and some DR is to not set a qual time and race cleanly starting from the back of the field. I personally think this approach is risky and overall a bad plan unless you are extremely patient and have no interest in racing competitively while you raise your SR. Racers are going to crash and fall back and you are going to be stuck in packs with bad and dirty racers and increase your risk to take [down orange] SR hits, it’s going to be unavoidable sometimes. Sometimes you will start 20th and finish 5th with [blue] SR but more often I find it can be very difficult to avoid drivers more likely to hit you.

A better strategy is to attempt races as a professional would. Run qual for a while and get to know your track and car before you begin racing. You will set a good time and be placed amongst racers close to your speed and more importantly you will know the track and your car. You will be able to race solid, and react better around other drivers. You can race competitively, raise your SR rating, have a greater sense for slower drivers or ones that make mistakes to overtake them if the opportunity is there, and avoid the slower bad dirty drivers playing bumper cars in the back. You might still be in packs at the top of the field but typically with better cleaner drivers. The easiest way to have a clean race is to start on the pole and have a wire to wire victory.

Rubbin is racing and races with action are the best kind to me but SR, overtaking, driving, following, avoiding, is all a skill and with it you can have SR S and exciting action filled races if you take the time.

Your racing style is your own and obviously choose to drive how you want but if more people know more information about the DR and SR rating systems the better the GT community and races will become.

The system works great and I believe that if I get [orange down] SR typically it is my fault I deserve it and I have to learn to drive better but sometimes you are gonna get in those spots where you either hold defend or overtake and risk it or back off and wait for a better spot.

I will be adding to this as I learn more, please feel free to mention any mistakes or comments.

SR wants you to do what is good for the race not what is good for you. DR wants you to win.

Good splits to you all!

Last edited:
You have done a very good job here, well done. I have wondered why I get downgraded when I thought I was being safe, now I know. Thanks and looking forward to better racing.

Latest Posts

Back