GT Sport and the FIA

Australia
Aussie
Tassie_tiger
Hi all.
My first go at a thread here at the Planet. :cheers:

I want to explore peoples thoughts of the connection between GT Sport and the FIA.
And the depth to which it influences the game.

At the moment I see some excited by it's inclusion, while I also see others using it as a point of argument.
Those keen on the idea talk of the online championships, the FIA award ceremony, the digital license, etc.
While others question aspects such as specific car inclusions, specific track inclusions, AI ability, etc.

I've seen it called an "FIA sanctioned" game, even an "FIA sponsored" game.
So to what level is the influence of the FIA in this game?
Or is just a small part of the games entirety?

Here are my thoughts.
It's my understanding that the FIA has two major inclusions in this game.
The Nations and Manufacturers Cup Championships.
I believe the FIA will oversee these events.
And the digital license.
I doubt there is much the FIA do here, other than help set the standard to reach a certain goal in-game regarding sportsmanship on track, whereas the license automatically becomes available.

Beyond that things get a little blurry to me.

Yes we heard of FIA 'approved' tracks last years.
Oddly, no mention of that so far for GT Sport.
And yes we read some cars have been modified to comply with FIA group specifications.
Something the FIA oversees and ticks-off on, or simply PD following the regulations, adjusting the cars, and have top level drivers test the cars for equality within the group?

So the question to you all remains.
To what level does the FIA have involvement in this game?
And to what level should all aspects of this game, if at all, relate to the FIA?

Last edited:
I'm thinking this really is an eSport, a virtual racing league, or series of them, and FIA is the administrators, taking this just about as seriously as they are with real world racing leagues. Exactly how seriously, we'll see, but they don't have a lot of things to worry about. Virtual tracks don't degrade and suffer damage, needing maintenance, nor do cars, and there can't be rule skirting modifications, for example. So their involvement likely boils down to making sure the virtual competitors know the rules, and having human stewards to monitor the events and make sure the players behave and are sportsmanlike. And then there is the whole award system they will be administering, as well as the eLicense, and how different countries will recognize it and how far.

So the involvement is going to be part for giving legitimacy to GT Sport, part administration. I'll be very interested in watching this whole thing play out when GT Sport ships.

I want to say the cars that are converted/modified to GT3 spec probably weren't really tested, PD probably talked to the FIA about things like how much Horsepower a certain car should have with taking into consideration the size and placement of the GT wings, areo kits, weight, how wide the car can be and etc. I think most GT3 cars have between 500hp-600hp and are weighed between 1200kg to 1300kg so they probably went off of that roughly.

I am expecting it will be an FIA logo in the gameand thats about it for their involvement but with tougher driver penalties in the events spotting an FIA logo.

I want to say the cars that are converted/modified to GT3 spec probably weren't really tested, PD probably talked to the FIA about things like how much Horsepower a certain car should have with taking into consideration the size and placement of the GT wings, areo kits, weight, how wide the car can be and etc. I think most GT3 cars have between 500hp-600hp and are weighed between 1200kg to 1300kg so they probably went off of that roughly.

What Gr3 cars are there confirmed in the game so far that are not real life GT3 cars?

Why? Because there is an official FIA series? No, it means nothing. Their connection with the FIA is a marketing partnership, it's not an official game for FIA series in real life.

I don't think they have any real life FIA series yet, do they?

What Gr3 cars are there confirmed in the game so far that are not real life GT3 cars?
Alfa Romeo 4C, Jaguar F-type, Hyundai Genesis (a prototype was built a few years ago. Never raced), Ford Mustang (a real GT3 exists, but has no connection to GTS), Corvette C7 (Callaway has built a GT3 car, but it has no connection to GTS), Toyota FT-1, all VGT cars.

I don't think they have any real life FIA series yet, do they?

Nope, and I don't expect them to. "Gr1, Gr3, Gr4, GrB, GrN", those are your racing series in GT Sport. These people expecting official FIA series and events are going to be disappointed. In fact I think people are generally going to be disappointed when they realise the FIA involvement in this game goes as far as their name on two online events and "Digital License" and nothing more.

There are currently almost just as many fictional Gr3 cars as real GT3 cars.

Alfa Romeo 4c Gr. 3
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Gr.3
Ford Mustang GT Gr. 3
Hyundai Genesis Gr.3
Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Gr. 3
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X Final Edition Gr.3
Peugeot Vision Gran Turismo Gr.3
Subaru WRX Gr.3
Toyota FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo Gr.3
Volkswagen GTI Vision Gran Turismo Gr.3

--

Audi R8 LMS (Audi Sport Team WRT) GT3
Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3
BMW Z4 GT3
BMW M6 GT3 '16
BMW M6 GT3 (Walkenhorst Motorsport) '16
Dodge SRT Viper GT3-R
Ferrari 458 Italia GT3
McLaren 650S GT3
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3
Mercedes-Benz AMG GT3
Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 N24 Schulze Motorsport
Renault Sport R.S.01 GT3

Last edited:
There are currently almost just as many fictional Gr3 cars as real GT3 cars.

^^ thanks for the list,
Although with crossed fingers and the work that a lot of those manufacturers are doing with regards to rolling GT4 class cars into showrooms in the next couple of years, they're not unrealistic in evolving into GT3 machines in real life. (apart from, VGT's obviously, but taking a concept car to a GT3 Machine is not such a big step either.)

GT3 and GT4 racing is getting very serious, and taking some of the interest back over form the "touring car" classes that have become about common, control chassis, etc.
The people want to feel a connection back to the car they drive every day.
The old mantra of "What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" exists and is alive again.

Honestly - as far as FIA goes - I think the only involvement we'll se is a stamp of approval for some tracks.

Honestly - as far as FIA goes - I think the only involvement we'll se is a stamp of approval for some tracks.
Well that, and the two FIA Championships, Nations Cup and Manufacturers Cup.
And I guess the license.
Oh, and the trophy ceremony.

To my mind, that's where it ends.

Last edited:
Back