GT Sport FIA total nonsense

What racing sim should I switch to from GT Sport?

• Stay Put

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Project Cars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iRacing

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Assetto Corsa (original)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forza7 (but that means switching to Xbox)

• Get my own car on a track and actually race properly

• Don't bother, give up and eat worms

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
Ringroses
whats an xbox
Hi Everyone,

I'm done with Gran Turismo. I've been playing this since GT1. But this sim/game is becoming so buggy and stupid I can't get past this. The FIA races are a joke. I've done something in the region of 10 races and alls going well only to be knocked off the network JUST before the race starts on 3 occasions. My network is very reliable and fast. Don't even start me on the poor race etiquette, the useless penalties, and zero "feel" through the G29 (compared to P.C.1). Then there's the points system, where in the blurb does it say that only your points from the last race you completed count? Oh and why is GTSport literally the only game / sim that makes my PS4 Pro want to self levitate, seriously didn't know fans went that fast.

I'm not in the lead, but seriously, if I was, and their useless servers knocked me out of the line for no reason at all I'd be pretty miffed.

So I'm looking elsewhere now, for my racing fix, given that the neither of the next gen consoles are actually on sale anywhere (even though they're advertising them on the telly for what reason I'll never know). I think I'll be going down the iRacing route. I'd welcome any feedback or suggestions.

I used to love Gran Turismo. But I'm sick of them now, they've lost it, and lost me. :-(

Last edited:
My network is very reliable and fast.
It may well be, but what steps have you taken to optimise it for online gaming?

The FIA races in GT Sport are the only ones that feature fixed servers, and if you're consistently being dropped from these particular lobbies there's no guarantee you won't experience the same thing by simply shifting to a different title - creating further frustration. Of course the other races use P2P, as do most public lobbies of most console games of most types.

I'd highly recommend you look at, if you haven't already, sorting a wired connection, giving your console a static IP in the router and putting that into the router DMZ (and giving everything else in the network a static IP too), and using a DNS service other than your ISP's (Google or OpenDNS are often preferred), then seeing if the problems persist.

Just to go through the options in your poll, in a unbiased and uncontroversial manner:

Project CARS: I'm not sure which version you're looking at, 2 was a not very good simulator that has been replaced with a pretty solid arcade racer, either way the player base is so small you would struggle to find anybody to race with outside of organised stuff on either.

iRacing: Real drivers say it's not as realistic as the marketing would lead you to believe and it is bloody expensive, you need to pay a subscription but that does not cover cars/tracks which you buy separately..

Assetto Corsa: I've heard good things about this one from PC players, endless mods and good vehicle physics. Don't dare try it on console though, the developers hate console players and don't try too hard to hide it.

Forza: Great car list but the game seems to have stagnated since the Xbox 360 era, the racing seems dirtier than a public lobby on a F1 game too

Real Racing: This is the most realistic but is almost as expensive as iRacing

That leaves GT Sport (and worms), not perfect by any means but happily placed in the middle of the road. Not the best car list, not the worst. Most players play clean, some don't. The handling isn't the most realistic, isn't the most arcadey. It does have a huge player base so you can always jump in and find people at a similar level for a clean race. Worms has not of that.

It may well be, but what steps have you taken to optimise it for online gaming?

The FIA races in GT Sport are the only ones that feature fixed servers, and if you're consistently being dropped from these particular lobbies there's no guarantee you won't experience the same thing by simply shifting to a different title - creating further frustration. Of course the other races use P2P, as do most public lobbies of most console games of most types.

I'd highly recommend you look at, if you haven't already, sorting a wired connection, giving your console a static IP in the router and putting that into the router DMZ (and giving everything else in the network a static IP too), and using a DNS service other than your ISP's (Google or OpenDNS are often preferred), then seeing if the problems persist.

Hi Thanks, I'll have a look (though it is currently wired straight to my router) and the Talk Talk router is pretty optimised (so Talk Talk would have me believe). I'll have a look into the DNS option which I hadn't considered. Many Thanks for that! (Ugh and to think, I used to work in I.T.!! )

Hi Thanks, I'll have a look (though it is currently wired straight to my router) and the Talk Talk router is pretty optimised (so Talk Talk would have me believe). I'll have a look into the DNS option which I hadn't considered. Many Thanks for that! (Ugh and to think, I used to work in I.T.!! )
Might be worth ditching the talk talk router for something else?

You don't need to play one game at the expense of everything else. I do FIA races in GT Sport because I like competing against other people. I play PCars, AC and ACC because I like the range of cars, tracks and the increased realism of what I'm driving. I know GT Sport has its faults given I've played it regularly for two and a half years, but I can still deal with those.

Your connection issues sound like something on your end, and I do have experience of Talk Talk's customer service. I wouldn't put much faith in what they're telling you.

I would prefer all of the above to eating worms.

I do have experience of Talk Talk's customer service. I wouldn't put much faith in what they're telling you.
Or anything from them in any way. We had TalkTalk for a while via Shell Energy (which re-sells TalkTalk/Openreach, but cheaper) and... no. Although I always go the full distance with my home network - I have Cat6 runs into every relevant room, and every device (except the chuffin Chromecast, which won't work with anything but DHCP) has a static IP address - my online gaming stability is an order of magnitude better back at Plusnet than Shell/TT.

And then there's this:

If nothing else, definitely give your console a static IP in both the router and the console settings, and DMZ it.

For DNS, Google is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, and OpenDNS is 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222. They are seared into my brain from setting up every single device in a house where we have several consoles, phones, and laptops, because I have a wife and two daughters.

Last edited:
Real Racing: This is the most realistic but is almost as expensive as iRacing

Yeah it is cause right now I need $90K for a new BAE Hemi but if I'm lucky I might find a used one for $40K, so yeah, almost but not quite as costly.

Back