GT SPORT physics is the main contributor to dirty racing

• Thread starter ZenRazo
  • 1 comments
Australia
ACT
ZenRazo
Let's face it... the Physics in GT SPORT is a glorified arcade SIM at best, when compared with PC2 and F1 2017. Now this is not necessarily a bad thing, but it does allow the "less talented" to stay alot closer to the "more talented" drivers.
Let's use Bathurst as a example.
In PC2 the "Esses" just after Skyline is a tricky section to get right and very easy to get wrong in a big way. One must settle the car prior to going into the first dip of the "Esses" so as not to lose the rear on braking. There is a distinct skill in getting it right.
In GT SPORT I found I can attack this section with virtually no respect of the laws of physics and still make it thru with little or no error.
As a result you get alot of carnage at the top of the mountain there because every man/woman and their dog are coming into that section with no fear of the consequences because the Physics keeps the car so stable. Not the case in PC2. Now I'm not saying that in PC2 there are no idiots (trust me there are plenty) but these kind of sections of track really do sort the men from the boys. The difference in getting it right from getting it wrong is huge. But in GT SPORT it is relatively small. As a result that "proverbial" asshole will stay with you thru most of the technical section of the circuit only to draft you down the back straight and then punt you off at the Chase.

Let's take another example....
KYOTO DRIVING PARK turn 1. This is a great little circuit with turn 1 being a high to mid speed corner. In a Gr4 car you enter the corner at full speed and begin braking fairly late as the corner is very fast. More then 50% of your braking is done while Turing into the corner. Pending on the car you are using this is a 4th or 5th gear corner that is crucial to carry as much speed thru as possible so as to maximise your exit speed.
Now one would expect, to keep your car stable your entry would be crucial by braking hard while still being straight, then downshift into 5th (6th if you are using a 7speed) while starting to turn the car in and still applying reasonable brake pressure so as to slow the car down but not too much so you don't lose the rear, then snatching 4th (5th for the 7speed) just before the apex and holding a good line while maintaing as much speed as possible. The next trick is to know how soon you can get back on the throttle so as to maximise your exit but still remain on the circuit. At least that how I use to do it. Then I noticed i was getting swapped by multiple peeps who had barely drafted me down the main staight. They would take this corner more like a rally car with no fear of the consequences. Hard in with a quick double shift down and slide into the corner with virtually no lose of car stability while maintaing an exceptional high entry speed. In reality this would result in rear compression lock up and the car would be in the outside wall. Not in GT SPORT. After witnessing this several times (Not to mention being punted off by cars that are 2sec behind me as I was entering the brakiing zone, while they proceed to make the corner albeit using my car as a brake) i decide to throw the laws of physics out the window and drive more like I would in something like Need for Speed. Throwing the car into corners, almost recklessly, skidding into the apex and running the throttle as early as possible. It made me 1-2sec faster on most circuits. But it's far from realistic. You would never get away with this style of DRIVING in PC2 let alone iRacing on the PC. Ok I shouldn't compare a console game to a PC game but the proof is in the pudding.

Now add to this circuits like the high speed TOKYO Expressway with it's super long straight and no run off areas and you are destined to play pinball with multiple assholes!

In summary every racing game will have it's fair share of what I like to call Mario Karters. Even on serious PC titles like iRacing and rFactor. But I feel that we have MORE then our fair share in GT SPORT and it's because of the Physics. I am sure we all have a friend or two who never really got into PC1 and PC2 for what ever reason, but I bet most gave it the flick because the Physics made the car to hard drive. Let me be clear here... this is not a anti GT SPORT pro PC2 thread. Just some basic facts. I love GT Sport, it has it's problems but so do other sims.
For now most of us will have to live with it or just throw that Physics Book clear out the drivers side window.

No. This makes no sense at all. One day I can say that I have had dirtier races in PCars and cleaner races in NFS and vice versa. Physics are not the reason. It's more like people don't care about the SR, DR and try to win at all costs. Like you said in your post, you get that in any online race game.

Back