GT Sport PSVR

• Thread starter WJHMH
  • 21 comments

WJHMH

Premium
United States
PANTHER CITY,TX
El_KaBong_9000
After trying a friends PSVR system I was impressed so I picked up one for myself, so far I've been enjoying it despite the obvious limitations. Super Formula at The Green Hell is a blast, open cockpit cars are astounding & make it a bit more interesting earning your daily workout cars. To me it was worth it. It may be not for all but I'm really enjoying it so far & hopefully more updates will be coming soon. (you gotta have hope)

Thanks all!

A few days ago I decided to go for it and buy the psvr bundle. I knew that there were some limitations....in usability ...in quality but i really wanted to have that feeling of "really" being there .....

So, bought the thing, came home, set it all up (we're talking 5 cables ... Camera, headset, usb, HDMI and power) did the proper adjustments between camera, tv, PS4, headset... And off I went to try this new way to experience the game.

First thought was ... Wow !!! The 3d effect is really amazing ! You really feel as if you were there, in the car I mean. You can look around, up, back, it's almost as wanting to try to touch the car around you.

Then, look at the track ..... And this is where you say ...oh ?!?! ...instead of ...wow !

The image close to you looks amazing but as soon as you start looking a bit far away it becomes all fuzzy, pixelized, jagged edges and all.

So, I tried to go around a track to see what it's like. Again, the 3d feel is amazing. Try to go down the hill full speed before the right turn on Maggiore...... I mean, you physically feel it !! :crazy::ill: :lol::lol::lol:
So the 3 d effect is definitely there and it's working ! But ! ...... After a few laps I tried to drive a bit better and not so much "experience" the feeling but really drive the car .... and this is where it hit me. As soon as I started to look for braking points .... Looking far ahead . ..looking for apex etc .... I realized that ... you don't see 🤬 !!

Can't read the distance markers. Can't concentrate on the curve coming up, it's all fuzzy and jagged. Can't look for reference points, they're all fuzzy too. ..

So I tried to adjust the lenses, the headset itself, in-game adjustments and ... nope .... It's just the way it is !

So, while the 3d experience is there it leaves much to be desired IMO. The technology is just not there yet as far as I'm concerned. If I can't use the thing to better learn the tracks I don't think it's worth the money.

I ended up re packaging the whole thing and I'll eventually try to resell it to someone who plays other games where it's more efficient.

Too bad ....:boggled:

A few days ago I decided to go for it and buy the psvr bundle. I knew that there were some limitations....in usability ...in quality but i really wanted to have that feeling of "really" being there .....

So, bought the thing, came home, set it all up (we're talking 5 cables ... Camera, headset, usb, HDMI and power) did the proper adjustments between camera, tv, PS4, headset... And off I went to try this new way to experience the game.

First thought was ... Wow !!! The 3d effect is really amazing ! You really feel as if you were there, in the car I mean. You can look around, up, back, it's almost as wanting to try to touch the car around you.

Then, look at the track ..... And this is where you say ...oh ?!?! ...instead of ...wow !

The image close to you looks amazing but as soon as you start looking a bit far away it becomes all fuzzy, pixelized, jagged edges and all.

So, I tried to go around a track to see what it's like. Again, the 3d feel is amazing. Try to go down the hill full speed before the right turn on Maggiore...... I mean, you physically feel it !! :crazy::ill: :lol::lol::lol:
So the 3 d effect is definitely there and it's working ! But ! ...... After a few laps I tried to drive a bit better and not so much "experience" the feeling but really drive the car .... and this is where it hit me. As soon as I started to look for braking points .... Looking far ahead . ..looking for apex etc .... I realized that ... you don't see 🤬 !!

Can't read the distance markers. Can't concentrate on the curve coming up, it's all fuzzy and jagged. Can't look for reference points, they're all fuzzy too. ..

So I tried to adjust the lenses, the headset itself, in-game adjustments and ... nope .... It's just the way it is !

So, while the 3d experience is there it leaves much to be desired IMO. The technology is just not there yet as far as I'm concerned. If I can't use the thing to better learn the tracks I don't think it's worth the money.

I ended up re packaging the whole thing and I'll eventually try to resell it to someone who plays other games where it's more efficient.

Too bad ....:boggled:

I wholeheartedly agree. But it’s still an entertaining way to earn the daily workout reward.

VR mode in GTS, while technically brilliant, is disappointing. But before you sell it Gersicer, try playing the normal game with the headset outside of VR mode.

This has made one of the best gaming experiences I've had. VR is an incredible experience without a doubt, but like others have experienced, I can't play much before I turn green :ill: Playing GTS with the headset outside of VR mode, is like playing on a huge screen. I use the in car view, which can feel like staring at the road through a letter box at times on my 50inch TV, but with the VR headset and medium sized screen, it feels like the same scale as being sat in the car. The game becomes less pretty as you might expect, but I can live with that. Distance markers can still be easily read, and I can play it all day without experiencing any adverse side effects.

For me at least, there's no going back to a TV now. It looses too much of the immersion.

The limitations are well noted as are the restrictions.

SF19 around Susuka in VR, lap after lap after lap after lap.....

Before you know it you've been playing an hour or more.

I wish we could race in it, I wish the detail stood up a little bit more.

But as it is, it's worth it to me.

I'd recommend trying it and deciding for yourself.

Bit question: Any difference in PSVR performance between normal PS4 and PS4 PRO?

I've only tried out VR twice with a standard PS4 (felt nauseous unfortunately) but I looked on YouTube videos soon afterwards and there is a clear increase in detail when you look into the distance.

I love the VR, although there needs to be more in the game for it, I never bother with the races, I'm far from fast, but I never see the other car again after the first corner, it's like they don't even have full throttle available. I do time trials with it though, the sense of elevation you get with it is great, and especially since I got a wheel, the sense of immersion is amazing. I think my favourite thing to do in VR is driving the F1500T around the Nordschleife, would very much recommend that.

On a slight side note, some of the games built from the ground up as VR are amazing, I've spent hours in Beat Saber alone, such a simple concept, but beautifully executed.

Noticed this evening that my lap times in VR were up to 3s/lap quicker around most circuits. Anyone else finding this?

Not sure about lap times but I always felt like I had more grip and control in VR. Maybe that's by design so people don't just spin all the time and get a bad VR experience?

Does anyone play VR with a DS4. Obviously the immersion level will be better with a wheel. But I can’t justify PSVR (which I want for other games too), a wheel & seat set-up.

Does anyone play VR with a DS4. Obviously the immersion level will be better with a wheel. But I can’t justify PSVR (which I want for other games too), a wheel & seat set-up.
If I had to choose between wheel or vr I would go for the wheel for GT but ultimately depends on what games and what works for you.

Not sure about lap times but I always felt like I had more grip and control in VR. Maybe that's by design so people don't just spin all the time and get a bad VR experience?
Seems much easier to place the car where you want in a corner.

I love the VR. I know there is some quality lost, so I bought a PS4 Pro but to be able to fly around Le Mans in 787B or The Green Hell in a 962C and have that feeling of being so immersed in it is by far worth it for me:)

Last edited:

It works great with a DS4 and it doesn't look all that bad on ps4 pro

The bottom gets cut off though when you record the video, you see a lot more in the headset. I wish I could do sport mode in VR.

No need for a flight stick either.

Another one of my favorite tracks

It works great with a DS4 and it doesn't look all that bad on ps4 pro

The bottom gets cut off though when you record the video, you see a lot more in the headset. I wish I could do sport mode in VR.

No need for a flight stick either.

Being able to use it in full Sport Mode races would be amazing. Could you imagine heading into to T1 and being able to actually look at the guy next to you instead of a radar 👍

Noticed this evening that my lap times in VR were up to 3s/lap quicker around most circuits. Anyone else finding this?
I'm often quicker in VR, I feel I can track the apex better and the car goes where I look, I get a similar sensation as riding a motorcycle. Maybe also sense the cars grip better in VR too, that's what I've put it down to. It just needs a proper race to grind for credits, Mt Panorama is my go to for laps. Nice being able to run against two ghost cars too, but a race would be awesome.

Same here. Bought the VR bundle over the weekend.

After scratching my head over the manual and tons of cabling works, I've got it running smoothly on my Pro.

Loved the VR Tour while driving the W08 around Fuji. Getting round the corners realistically next to astonishment.

I use a DS4. Just raise your arm rests up so that your arms are resting in a similar position to the arms in the game. You're usually staring at the apex the entire time so having an arm placement vaguely similar to the arms in-game is usually enough for me to connect with the immersion.

If using a DS4 with the VR, I'd recommend using the motion controls, it's weird at first, but it's much better for the immersion in VR, and once I got used to it I think I was better in the rest of the game, the smoothness you can add to the steering really helps.

I did get a wheel recently though, just a second hand T150, which I've got mounted to a folding work bench and sitting on a dining chair, so a proper budget setup. I love the VR, but for me the wheel has added more to GT Sport, so if you're caught between the two it really depends how much you play GT Sport compared to how much you'd play other VR games.

Back