GT Sport vs Forza vs Dirt Updates

• Thread starter ynot
  • 10 comments
United States
San Antonio, Texas
Obi-Tonobi
I love Gran Turismo but my frustration is this. So many times I log into gtplanet and what do I see in the headlines? Another Forza and Dirt update with cars and tracks. How can they pull it off all the time and Polyphony Digital so slow? Gran Turismo still the best in my opinion.

Free DLC vs. Paid DLC.

Also, Gran Turismo has something substantive; an FIA partnership and world touring Esports league.

When the only thing your game has going for it is sheer car & track lists, that becomes your main priority. Seems like a fair enough trade-off to me.

I would love to see a nice track pack come out for GT Sport. So many race tracks across the world that look good. Seems like they wouldn't have a big license issue.

I love Gran Turismo but my frustration is this. So many times I log into gtplanet and what do I see in the headlines? Another Forza and Dirt update with cars and tracks. How can they pull it off all the time and Polyphony Digital so slow? Gran Turismo still the best in my opinion.

Your frustration is unfounded.

Gran Turismo Sport releases new cars more or less every month, and on average it has received somewhere around six or seven cars per month since launch in 2017. New track usually gets added every second month. So far it has all been free.

Forza Motorsport 7 releases one or two free cars every month. This month was an exception with six IndyCar machines. So far it has not seen a single DLC track and it probably never will. There were paid car packs for eight months or so.

Forza Horizon 4 releases a free car every week, sometimes two (but play every week to obtain). There was paid car DLC every week for six months.

DiRT Rally 2.0 releases paid DLC fortnightly, so far adding up to two cars and one location every month.

Eh? Forza hasn't had a new track added in years, unless you count the Fortune Island expansion in FH4. It does get monthly car additions too — usually less than GT on a per-month basis. But on the other hand, one could make the argument that, in games that launched with 700 models versus 170, one doesn't need to increase the numbers at zero cost.

DiRT has relied heavily on past content for its post-launch support. It's updated content, and Codemasters is a much smaller team than PD, but still, that goes a long way to explaining how rapid-fire the approach has been so far. It's also why some folks are unhappy with the method.

I don't really see how GT is slow, though. It has additions on almost exactly a monthly basis.

Free DLC vs. Paid DLC.

Sort of. FH4 and FM7 both have six/seven cars coming this month, for free.

Also, Gran Turismo has something substantive; an FIA partnership and world touring Esports league.

When the only thing your game has going for it is sheer car & track lists, that becomes your main priority. Seems like a fair enough trade-off to me.

Other games have esports series that trot the globe too. They might put less of a spotlight on them, but it's a feature that appeals to a tiny subset of the player base, so I don't see how focusing on content is necessarily a bad thing.

That being said, it's weird to say they're two separate priorities, when GT's main updates each month have been simply cars/tracks. :P

Free DLC vs. Paid DLC.

Let’s be honest, how many people give a **** about FIA eSports, outside high level players who have the time (and no little skill), to compete at the top level.

For most people they’re interested in the cars, tracks & features. As a Level 50, Platinum trophy winning, driver. My experience of FIA events is a few qualifying laps and enjoying the live events on YouTube.

It still beggars belief how little PD interacts with the community. Over at T10/Playground you have regular community videos/podcasts/articles detailing plans and encouraging feedback. Over here we have clumsy PD ‘leaks’, then silence for a month.

PD are doing so much right in terms of content creation. But their communication is something you’d expect from the PS1 era. Nevermind the social media driven world we live in today.

Ok, to be fair I do not own the other two I mentioned . I like GT Sport so much better than the others I do own, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, and NASCAR Heat 3. But it seems like everytime I get on gtplanet the headlines is one of the other race games.

Back