GT Syndrome

• Thread starter milefile
  • 29 comments
This is bad. While playing GT2 last night my finger started to hurt, the middle knuckle on my ring finger, left hand. It feels like a tendon thing, just because I've had other tendon things before. The pain interfered with my playing so I paused the game, cracked my knuckles, stretched out my fingers, shook out my hands, etc. When I returned to the game it still hurt but not as bad. And now this morning it still hurts, but not as bad since I'm not using it for the PSX controller. This is and especially disturbing development because I plan on getting PS2 for Christmas, and of course GT3. I'm taking Dec. 24-29 off and was looking forward to parking it in front of the TV and playing GT3 and whatever other game(s) I may get.

Anyone ever had a similar thing? Anyone know of any remedies? Maybe I need to tape it . . . :lol: Oh man my wife would have a field day with that one.

Sometimes when i stop playing after a lengthy time, my wrists hurt so i just shake them wildly for five minutres and then go back to playing. Do you use the Analogue or D-Pad milefile?

yeah, i've had it where my thumbs hurt so bad from playing Virtua Fighter 4 with a friend that they hurt from using the D-pad to do combos. it sucks. It hurts for about 2 days or so and gos away.

Analogue, so that must mean you keep your ring finger near the back of the controller don't you? Check your positioning of your fingers and try placing them a tad different until they stop hurting. That should work.

Originally posted by DODGE the VIPER
Analogue, so that must mean you keep your ring finger near the back of the controller don't you? Check your positioning of your fingers and try placing them a tad different until they stop hurting. That should work.

I was trying that last night and it seemed to help.

I thought that should work because i had to adjust my fingers once because they were all twisted around the controller.

Yeah, the tendons on the inside of my ring finger (the part touching the controler) were sort of pressed up against it. You don't realize how hard your grabbing that thing until it starts to hurt.

It reminds me of a couple people I knew who got carpal tunnel syndrome from operating an espresso machine for a living.

I have a small lump on my middle finger because i grip pens/pencils so hard that it has just made that lump...it's like an unpoppable blister.

I have that, too. When I first started playing GT and was using digital controls I got calouses on my thumbs, sorta like guitar calouses in the finger tips :P

You'd think, but when I participate in comps and I hear how the people who beat me did 75 or 80 laps to get their time I don't think so anymore. I never really play for more than an hour. And 75 laps at Trial mountain in the current comp I'm in would take well over that.

I never use analogue any more. Ever since all the buttons became pressure sensative, I've never had the need to use Analogue except for Bond games. I just find it easier to use the D-pad because I have more control with it.

I took breaks every two hours when i did the 100 laps of Complex String...

How long are you guys playing? Man, You really need to get outside some.
I never have problems like that but I usually only play for about an hour unless it's really crappy out or when I'm doing an endurance race. Then I will pause and do something else for a while then come back to it.

Well. Good luck with that tendon thing.

The longest I can play GT3 for at one sitting is about 4 hours. I did that last summer when I felt like squandering a few days. Did two endurance races in a row in one sitting. Sure, I might've gotten up to use the can, but that doesn't really count, does it? Lately, though, I've only been willing to sit down and play GT3 for an hour max. Pretty soon that'll just be one race per sitting, not one series...

Yeh, it's better not to play for any more than two hours without a half hour break, and i have done that before and almost wrecked my thumbs. Also, yesterday, i had a sore back yesterday and i think it was because i had a "cushionless" wood chair, but once i had two cushions there (one to sit on and when for my back) it felt a little better.

Originally posted by DODGE the VIPER
Yeh, it's better not to play for any more than two hours without a half hour break, and i have done that before and almost wrecked my thumbs. Also, yesterday, i had a sore back yesterday and i think it was because i had a "cushionless" wood chair, but once i had two cushions there (one to sit on and when for my back) it felt a little better.

Chairs? Ouch, I havn't used chairs in a long time to play Playstation or Nintendo(8-bit) stuff in a looong time. I just loung on the couches;)

I sit on the floor on a big pillow with my back against the couch. I used to use a big desk chair and sit crosslegged in it but the arms of the chair bruised my legs.

I am going to move my PS2 into the Rumpus room this holidays so i should lounge on the couch...:)

Well, i eventually moved it and i'm very comfy now just lounging around.

Back