GT too easy financially?

  • Thread starter Thread starter designate-19L
  • 57 comments
  • 4,695 views
Frankly I don't see much of a point in a single player game at all, when 95% of the time, I completely do the whole field on the first lap, usually because I've overtuned my car. Okay, I can take bits off and turn the thing down, but there's a real thrill in not having a good enough car to win a particular race, and spending what little prize money you win on upgrades, until you -just- get it fast enough to finally win. At that point, I'm like, "Get in!"

Nowadays, consequently, I'm all about online racing. There, I concede, it can sometimes be hard to get the money you need, but that's fine because you're always sure of a genuine, sentient challenge. But the single player mode, I find, is just not challenging enough.

Perhaps PD should have made the game with two modes: one where every car is available free of charge, the other is a saga of hard earning and hard racing.
 
OP is smoking crack.

This game makes absolutely 0% sense financially. Which is why you can't hit level 40 A-spec in a reasonable amount of time without CHEATING.

And also why you can't purchase $1,000,000+ credit cars without CHEATING.


This game is screwed, it's a huge mess. I feel PD should credit me every car in the game for having to put up with it. Seriously.
 
I'm always under 100k on cash so I have to disagree.
 
Is Gran Turismo too easy in terms of money? Is the prize cash for winning races too much?
In an ideal world, every GT game would be as cash friendly as GT2 was.
GT5 isn't even remotely close to being like that, and not even GT4 really was (though GT4 was pretty close). So I'm going to say no.

And, to be frank, you having the ability to play the game a certain way and not being able to force yourself to play it that way sounds an awful lot like your problem rather than a problem with the game. Particularly not when the theoretical solution is to take one of the most major problems with GT5 and make the problem worse.
 
I think improving AI is vastly more important than restricting money. The fact is that they put AI on comfort tires and never give them a single upgrade. They could give AI faster upgraded cars (look at your B-spec drivers). All they need to do is give the AI more money to spend on their own cars. Surely if a B-spec Bob can handle an X1 the other AI (with presumeably the same 'skills') could handle some racing slicks, racing exhaust, and a tuned transmission. I personally think they intentionally left the AI at such low speeds because they feared crashes and glitches would occur at higher speeds and they never had time to test the better AI against itself which does exist in the B-spec Bobs.
 
Actually, GT5 is the first game in the series where the AI does have notably upgraded cars.
 
It's not hard, but after a while it can become a bit of a chore. To actually race for anything else you have to expect something coming up, and when you're Level 35 that's not easy.

Still, it's not hard to make money. It's just you need to know what you want to buy and save up for instead of impulsing. It'll come back later; don't worry.
 
The question I pose to you now is: Is Gran Turismo too easy in terms of money? Is the prize cash for winning races too much? Shouldn't you be made to really WORK, and FIGHT for race wins, and struggle to get the results in races, and have to really scrape together the credits to afford that one crucial upgrade or new car which allows you to win that Goddamn event once and for all? Should you win any money at all if you come below 3rd? Should you have to pay just to enter some races?

Gran Turismo 5 isn't a training tool for professional racers, and it isn't a paying job. It's a video game intended for entertainment purposes. Anything that makes a game less enjoyable to play or less entertaining is a bad move. Not all players want to spend six months struggling to get beyond the first handful of the game's events.

People often propose ridiculous game features that sound good on paper but would completely ruin a game in practice. An example that comes to mind is an old proposal from back before GTA IV was released, in which someone proposed that we need to refuel cars and that cars can run out of gas. There were people that supported that as a brilliant idea. In reality, all that would do is make playing the game a boring, tedious chore, and making the game a boring, tedious chore is a very bad idea. Even the people that supported that idea on the boards would grow tired of it within the first hour of playing the game had it actually went into the game.

Sounding good in a forum post doesn't make something a good idea. Even if there's five or ten players that would actually get some sick enjoyment out of that, there would be millions that would not. The wants of the many outweigh the wants of the few.
 
i dont think its to hard. ive been sitting on 20 million credits for a month. and ive bought over 20 cars in the last 2 weeks. of course im grinding b spec right now though.
 
Not too easy by any means. To begin with, perhaps, but definitely not if you're collecting cars - not even close. It's not a complaint, mind you, just stating how it is with GT5.

just to add - it costs a shade just under 490 million CR to buy every car. Do the math on how many races that takes.
 
Last edited:
Not too easy by any means. To begin with, perhaps, but definitely not if you're collecting cars - not even close. It's not a complaint, mind you, just stating how it is with GT5.

just to add - it costs a shade just under 490 million CR to buy every car. Do the math on how many races that takes.

I don't think the bigger problem is how many races it would take but rather how many times you'd have to do the same race over and over again... until your eyeballs fall out.

Now, you tell me what the point is of having 1,000 cars but you're only confined to a handful of LM racecars or the 1 F1 car (FGT) for 1 or 2 events to make 1.) progress and 2.) credits.

I have 30 cars in my garage, 1 is of which is only useful to me right now as far as credit grinding is concerned and that's the car I least like. I don't like LM racecars and because of my distaste for them the grinding process is that much longer. Why they didn't create more meaningful events so that I could actually compete in the cars I want to compete in while also be as financially rewarding as these LM races is beyond me.

Racing street cars can be just as challenging as racing in LM events, and in fact the most trouble I've had in the game were from the street car events.

The overall A-spec/credit/xp/pricing/prize and rewards design absolutely astounds me. Perhaps they relied more on the Online feature to fill in the gaps but usually the Online crowd is absolutely unbearable.
 
Guess what, you both can't be satisfied. PD is too lazy to add options

Don't let them think we're not on to them.

As for my input, money should be taken out. GT5 is financially easy, yet financially frustrating.

It's easy because no matter what, you can't lose money.

It's frustrating because earning credits is just a bad idea, and offline gives you more than online. And the offline still isn't enough.
 
I just think, if people want a nice and easy racing game: NFS. Ridge Racer.

And if you want to play a economic simulator might I suggest Sim City or Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Got to love it when people more concerned about stupid fake economies of a racing game tell you, the guy who just wants to race the cars on the race tracks, that you need to go play NFS and Ridge Racer.

And don't hand me the driving simulator strawman either. That's just a marketing catch phrase. Everything you do revolves around RACE TRACKS. That makes it a racing game.
 
The irony is progressing through NFS or Ridge Racer is probably harder than any GT game.
 
I really think it's a worthwhile proposal, about finite tyres. And why not go further - FUEL! Why not have to actually pay for the juice to run?! I want GT to be more than the Real Driving Simulator, and a bit more like the Real Car Ownership Simulator - that'd be so much more satisfying, I'd have so much more respect for the game. If there was a "SimRace" game, you'd have to take care of everything, pay for everything.

You already have the game you're describing, it is called REAL LIFE. Put down the controller, turn off your PS3, and go get your own job and your own cars. Then you can pay for EVERYTHING and it would be better than a simulator. Think how satisfying that would be. WOW !!! :sly:
 
Last edited:
And if you want to play a economic simulator might I suggest Sim City or Roller Coaster Tycoon.

RCT is extremely hard to make money in so I guess from this standpoint GT5 is financially easier than RCT.
 
And if you want to play a economic simulator might I suggest Sim City or Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Got to love it when people more concerned about stupid fake economies of a racing game tell you, the guy who just wants to race the cars on the race tracks, that you need to go play NFS and Ridge Racer.

And don't hand me the driving simulator strawman either. That's just a marketing catch phrase. Everything you do revolves around RACE TRACKS. That makes it a racing game.

I AGREE !!! I just want to be able to race and tune cars, not grind for credits or worry about economics. I already work too much and worry about money in real life, I don't need to do it in a game too.
 
GT5 is easy when you use an overpowered car against your opponents. Try a fair play game and see how things come up!
 
Can never have enough money.

More cars more turbos more titanium exhausts more racing softs and another set of racing softs and chips... Lots of chips.......
 
As several people mentioned, GT5 gets you off to a ridiculously easy start, if you can be arsed to waste your time with those tedious "special events". By doing that you can hit the Sunday cup with more than half a million cr and 10 more more cars in the garage. Mind you, most of them are as hopeless as a one-legged bloke in an arse-kicking contest.

What has happened with GT5 is that PD has not invested any time in balancing the game. In all earlier titles, getting a good start was slightly more challenging, but you could get started without any grinding, because you seldomly won a car that couldn't be used in multiple other races with minimum or moderate tuning.

In GT5 you often get absolute crap cars. Why do I get a Daihatsu Midget or a Nazi-Kübelwagen or a 40's Beetle or the ridiculous 2CV hippie trolley? I can't use these ANYWHERE! Now I also won the 2CV in GT4, but that had a quite challenging 2CV one make Cup.

That's where PD can no longer hide that they just couldn't be arsed to put any inspiration into GT5. They imported a truckload of cars from GT4, calling them "standard cars", but didn't create any Cups for them, which were available in GT4. That's what makes grinding necessary. I never had to grind in GT2, GT3 or GT4 - in fact I very seldomly had to buy a car to beat the GT mode, since I won most of them.

I tried it, it is possible to beat the Beginners and Amateur events in GT5 with buying only 1 car (Mini Cooper), if :

a) you silver the B license (for the OFC-1)
b) if you do all the licenses up to I-A (for the Miata and the RAM truck)
c) if you take on the Stratos in the Festival Italia with an Autobianchi (meaning sinking a bootload of cash in it)
d) if you take on that ridiculous Bertone Miura in an Alfa-Romeo Giulia
e) sink gazillions of cr in over-tuning cars, so that your dimwitted B-Specks can win the cars you'll need for the few A-Spec races that the games actually provides.

So in contrast to it's predecessors, GT5 makes it less fun than drowning, especially as you'll have to nanny your laughable B-Spec chauffeurs to win, which has nothing to do with "the real driving simulator". What does that have to do with watching a bunch of binary dimwits crash their cars for hours :grumpy:

moral of the tale: PD just nailed "something" together as a sorry excuse of off-line play, relying that we will play online most of the time anyways. But that's not the case for all. If PD doesn't either patch the hell out of GT5 or doesn't come up with a GT6 that deserves its name, I think GT5 is a very hefty nail in the franchises coffin.

just my (hardly earned) 2cr
 
GT5 is easy when you use an overpowered car against your opponents. Try a fair play game and see how things come up!

I did. I decided to give the AI a fair shot at giving me a good race. I knew from the beginning that it wouldn't be close to an online race, but the results were ever more disappointing than I thought. Took a fresh from UCD 97 Tom's Supra into the Super GT. No oil, engine, or chassis. To make things harder, I went to Fuji, where the lack of hp would hurt the most. Unsurprisingly, the AI flew by me at race start, but by the first turn I had made it back to maybe 3rd place. The prodigy car for that race, the Xanavi Z, was already leading and had a gap, which made the other 14 AI cars redundant. By the end of lap one I was basically ready to pass him, but when he got to the straight he pulled away. I think the second place car caught me too. But again, going into the first turn I get a massive gain, and get back into second. I proceed to eat the Z alive for the rest of the track and am leading by lap 3. It ceased to be a race then.

GT5 is a game where it's more challenging to make the AI difficult than it is to beat the AI. Using a fair car isn't enough, you need to tie both hands behind your back.

In all earlier titles, getting a good start was slightly more challenging.

How so? Besides licenses, this isn't true. I started GT1 with a Viper GTS. I didn't even need to touch the main events to get it. I won 86 spot races, got 86,000 cr, and went straight to Dodge.

GT2 introduced Cobra grinding to get the Viper GTS-R Team Oreca, then Speed 12 grinding to get everything else.

In GT3 I golded the licenses before buying a car.

In GT4 I started with 100,000 credits.

Like I said before, in GT, you cannot lose money. So the idea of GT being difficult doesn't make much sense. All you need to do is grind money and you can do more or less anything.

There are a number of bad, game ruining ideas that can change this, like making all the good cars prize cars, requiring you to win a certain race(s) before other races unlock, having to pay continuous car maintenance so that it's possible that you have a net loss of money even when you win every race you enter because you own cars that are too expensive for you. Etc. But IMO, the game is better without credits in the first place.

Now, if PD were to wake up and decide to give GT Mode to the GT Mode players and create a Sim Mode for the racers, fine, everyone wins. But this seems to be beyond them for some reason.


That's what makes grinding necessary.
If your only goal is to beat GT Mode, grinding for money is probably not required. There's plenty for that.

GT5 needs griding because of the horrible XP system and because people want a lot of cars, which costs a lot of money.


a) you silver the B license (for the OFC-1)
b) if you do all the licenses up to I-A (for the Miata and the RAM truck)
c) if you take on the Stratos in the Festival Italia with an Autobianchi (meaning sinking a bootload of cash in it)
d) if you take on that ridiculous Bertone Miura in an Alfa-Romeo Giulia
e) sink gazillions of cr in over-tuning cars, so that your dimwitted B-Specks can win the cars you'll need for the few A-Spec races that the games actually provides.

I just did some special events and got a Viper ACR. That car took me through quite a few races. I very rarely buy a car for A-Spec, and I never use my online cars for A-Spec.

moral of the tale: PD just nailed "something" together as a sorry excuse of off-line play, relying that we will play online most of the time anyways. But that's not the case for all. If PD doesn't either patch the hell out of GT5

We can only hope.
 
GT5 is a game where it's more challenging to make the AI difficult than it is to beat the AI. Using a fair car isn't enough, you need to tie both hands behind your back.

Amen :indiff: But that has been the case with all GT titles. They just never bothered to improve the AI.

How so? Besides licenses, this isn't true. I started GT1 with a Viper GTS. I didn't even need to touch the main events to get it. I won 86 spot races, got 86,000 cr, and went straight to Dodge.

GT2 introduced Cobra grinding to get the Viper GTS-R Team Oreca, then Speed 12 grinding to get everything else.

In GT3 I golded the licenses before buying a car.

In GT4 I started with 100,000 credits.

I think you're missing my point here. I don't play GT to get a certain car. The usual GT startup was that you started with a low amount of money that was just enough for a decent car. You took that to a couple of events, gradually tuning it up with prize money if needed. All the time you were gradually improving your cr situation. If you ran out of events to run with your starter car, you could take any of the prize cars and go to town with them. You hardly ran out of stuff to do. I cleared most of GT4's events without buying any cars and never running any event twice. (The only thing one had to buy was a pickup as you couldn't win one anywhere).

Like I said before, in GT, you cannot lose money. So the idea of GT being difficult doesn't make much sense. All you need to do is grind money and you can do more or less anything.

If your only goal is to beat GT Mode, grinding for money is probably not required. There's plenty for that.

That's missing the point again. In GT5 you HAVE to grind. Both for money and XP. You need wads of cash, because you have to over-tune cars for the B-Spec mode, but you get mere pennies for race wins and most prize cars are either not tradeable or net you way less than 10K, even if they cost one hundred eleventy million bucks to buy at the UCD. And you have to grind XP, because the ridiculous XP leveling thing is the only way they could artificially lengthen the GT mode life beyond the 2-3 weeks it takes you to clean all the handfull of races until you come to the enduros. They force you to rerun races else you'll be stuck or have to go online for the seasonal races. If you try to play offline, you're effed. Many people don't have broadband internet connection either, so the online lobbies are useless for those and don't underestimate, HOW MANY do not have broadband. Even in a hitech country like Germany, there's still regions, where you can't get highspeed internet.
 
Amen :indiff: But that has been the case with all GT titles. They just never bothered to improve the AI.


I think you're missing my point here. I don't play GT to get a certain car.
I wasn't talking about getting a specific car, but the difficulty of starting a GT game. It's not hard to get around the low starting credits to dominate the early races.

I took it from your previous post that you were saying that older games had a more challenging start. Is that right, or did I misread?


over-tune cars for the B-Spec mode, but you get mere pennies for race wins and most prize cars are either not tradeable or net you way less than 10K, even if they cost one hundred eleventy million bucks to buy at the UCD. And you have to grind XP, because the ridiculous XP leveling thing is the only way they could artificially lengthen the GT mode life beyond the 2-3 weeks it takes you to clean all the handfull of races until you come to the enduros.
I actually didn't touch B-Spec when progressing through the game. I refused to do something so poorly designed. Only after I got the X1, so that I could start a race and not concern myself with said race in the slightest, did I start B-Spec.

As for A-Spec, the XP grind was awful, I agree. But credits, if your only goal is to beat GT Mode, probably won't be so bad. Like I said before, a major portion of A-Spec races were won by my Viper ACR, tuned to 800 hp. From beginner to Extreme. Maybe it didn't seem like A-Spec was expensive because I wasn't playing it out of desire.

For car collecting though, GT Mode pays very poorly. And online doesn't help at all. It still pays nothing. I did a 20 Nurburgring GP/F lap race the other day and only got 100,000 cr for first place. 5 laps around A-Spec Indy nets 70,000. It's absurd. The only way to make money is A-Spec (or Nring glitch). People without internet aren't missing much. They were when the early seasonal events came out and provided the only decent payout GT5 has ever seen. But at this moment, offline is the only way to make money anyway, so online or off doesn't matter (barring Nring glitch).
 
I remember when I used Gameshark Lite for GT4 for easy billions of credits :)
 
Gt5 is very easy too get money. I use the American Championship with the f40 Lm racecar. 98.000 cr in 3:50 min.

Its much harder earning money in Forza, although you can earn money selling and making licences plates and Liveries.

GT5 is one contradiction after the other. Total waist of money.
 
Gt5 is very easy too get money. I use the American Championship with the f40 Lm racecar. 98.000 cr in 3:50 min.

Its much harder earning money in Forza, although you can earn money selling and making licences plates and Liveries.

GT5 is one contradiction after the other. Total waist of money.

How is grinding easy? Who needs to earn money in FM, when they throw some of the best cars right at you on your way to max level? What the hells is a F40 LM Race car, this I have never seen in GT5 or any game for that matter.

Speaking on contradictions, learn to use correct spelling in the future as the reply box does have a spell checker built in :).


GT5 is horrible with cash, the grinding which was in all GT games is made worse by not allowing you to win prize cars repeatedly and also giving you crap money for sale of a car as well. A game with this many cars to try out and tune, this is absurd. What is with the astronomical prices of some of these really old cars, that is one thing that I wished that they left with camp Forza. This is a game I don't need insane prices on virtual cars as something to shoot for. You can't even test drive the heap before you buy it...and worse yet you have 20 million dollar credit limit. They added to GT5 that seemed to come from the depths of pit of uselessness.

GT5 is the hardest GT game to earn money financially, it's borderline inane. Other GT games at least you had extra incentive, winning gives you more than just cash. GT5 gives you cash and that's it(measly cash at that). Grinding has never been more of a chore than this. In fact grinding has been synonymous with GT5 since the 1st week it was available, and I've been on this site a while never heard people complain or use the word grind as much as I have heard with any GT game. GT5 takes the cake on that front, easily. That's the only easy thing it does.

Xp points is a waste, does nothing for the game. Aside from being an artificial ladder to climb and at the top of it sits the sole car that you can buy at level 40, something that you are given freely in B Spec at level 35. What the hell is the point of XP points? Take it out or attach it to something that makes it valuable(that might be impossible). I'm at level 32 and I can care less about reaching level 40 as all I do is mainly race online then buy cars that look interesting as offline is pointless. With grinding being the chore it is, A Spec is a shack of shambles and the AI still drives like overly cautious grandma's until they are using hyper performance cars, then they drive like mad men with crash OCD. It's like PD just don't care to make the AI drive competitively, stop with just one driver trying to chase me down, why aren't they all driving like that and not in a stupid way either. Give me the barely a step down from perfect drivers to compete against. Anything would be better than these lukewarm on again off again morons that litter the race course.
 
I just think, if people want a nice and easy racing game: NFS. Ridge Racer.
This, however, is the Real Driving Simulator. This is a game which is largely about realism. Well, in the real world, life is HARD. Real racing is costly. Bloody expensive, especially in the professional world. Progress is hard-won. I don't think the game should be bloody near-impossible to progress through, but I just don't like how much of a breeze it is.

...I still get goosebumps, thinking about my first Sunday Cup win in GT1...having to scrape together the cash for that expensive turbo for my RM Skyline...finally cracking the last licence...

Driving your dream car is all well and good, but it's so much more satisfying for the thing to be hard-earned...

I know this is an old comment to reply to and all...but ridge racer is nowhere near easy when you get to the final races. The Angel and Devil races are some of the hardest moments I (and many other) gamers have experienced in their gaming career!

And Although I love GT. I've never had a race anywhere near as hard as some of the ones I've had in Ridge Racer.

Also, I'd like to add that you should NEVER dismiss a game because it isn't realistic. That isn't how things work.
 
Back