GT World Champs – Amateur League

• Thread starter SandStorm
  • 9 comments

SandStorm

(Banned)
Having printed off the Prize Car list the other day, I looked through it and saw the C-West Razo Silvia JGTC, and decided to race for it. Having not much experience in Manual Transmission, I decided that this would be an excellent series in which to get the hang of it. I’ve recorded the information to write in a report. Warning, it’s a little long, so you may want to print it off and view it in your own time. Anyway, on with the racing!

The race menu looked a bit like this:
  • Tokyo R246: Akasaka
  • Laguna Seca
  • Apricot Hill Raceway
  • Deep Forest Raceway
  • SSR5
  • Trial Mountain
  • Seattle Circuit
  • Midfield Raceway Reverse
  • SSR11
  • Grand Valley Speedway
The contestants in the Race were:
  • Corvette C5-R
  • Viper GTS-R Team Oreca
  • Castrol Tom’s Supra JGTC
  • Castrol Mugen NSX JGTC
  • Raybrig NSX JGTC
  • Polyphony001
Race 1: R246 – 5 LAPS

What can I say? I love this track. It’s very smooth and flowing, and you can get some good speed on the straights.

I fiddled with the gear ratios a bit, trying to decide which would be the best setup. I decided to trial this: Gears 1-4 as short as possible, ie all the way to the right, and gears 5 and 6 as tall as possible, ie all the way to the left. I then put the Final Gear .240 to the left of center, and Auto Setup at 34.

I went out and qualified on pole, but not after some difficulties – I stuck it into the wall a couple of times while getting the hang of Manual ( :banghead: ). After the normal 1 warm up lap I went out and laid down what I believe to be one of my best ever qualifying laps at Akasaka.

I’ve got a strange way of starting the race. I’ll shift up into 2nd before the green and start on 10K revs. This is because the lower gears are so short that I’d have a hard time changing up before the needle hits the rev-limiter. After a good start I ran a first lap of approximately (can’t remember exactly) 1’23.xxx.

On the 3rd lap the blasted Manual Transmission got the better of me once more – I didn’t downshift through the gears enough which resulted in a crap corner. Which is strange, because I drove my best lap on the 3rd lap. I had a good last lap to finish the race more than half a lap better than the competition.

Qualifying time: 1’23.xxx
Total time: 6’53.676
My best: 1’20.454
Win Margin:
-- Castrol Tom’s Supra – +0’41.137
-- Corvette C5-R – +0’44.890
-- Raybrig NSX - +0’45.346
-- Castrol Mugen NSX – +0’29.384
-- Viper GTS-R Team Oreca – +0’49.654
AI Pit:
-- Corvette C5-R – LAP 3
-- Viper GTS-R Team Oreca – LAP 4

Race 2: Laguna Seca – 5 LAPS

In what would have to be one of the most bizarre coincidences in my racing history, my qualifying time was exactly the same as my best lap time. I went out and qualified fairly well, but I had to drive a few laps to get used to the Manual on Laguna (like I said, I’m just a beginner). I qualified on pole.

I started out well enough, but I got crossed up at the first corner. One of the things I love about Manual is that you can control the power to the wheels. So I just shifted up two gears to fourth, and that sorted things out. I downshifted again and tore off up the straight.

On LAP 3 I had a very hairy moment at the corkscrew where I braked early – Manual woes again – and moved up to the high side of the track. But I must have hit a slippery patch because I shot up to the kerb and bounced off again, sending me two-wheeling towards the corner, way out of control and making all braking efforts void. Luckily for me I got all four wheels back on track again in time to ensure that I didn’t hit the wall, at least. I spun into the turn, facing back the way I came. I gathered it up again and took off, my lead cut somewhat shorter.

On LAP 4 I ran my best lap. I think it’s fair to say that I’ve got ahold of Manual at Laguna.

In the end I won comfortably, by over a quarter track distance.

Qualifying time: 1’05.845
Total time: 5’26.549
My best: 1’05.845
Win Margin:
-- Viper GTS-R Team Oreca - +0’16.143
-- Castrol Tom’s Supra - +0’21.226
-- Raybrig NSX - +0’25.407
-- Castrol Mugen NSX - +0’30.182
-- Corvette C5-R - +0’32.207
AI Pit:
-- Corvette C5-R – LAP 4

Race 3: Apricot Hill – 5 LAPS

I went out and qualified well, driving an excellent lap. After I qualified on pole I stayed out for a bit to get the hang of Manual at Apricot.

I started well, pulling instantly away from the competition. I had a bit of a moment at the hairpin on LAP 2 where I missed the apex and ran wide, resulting in my prompt removal from the track. I eased back on track and took off once more.

On LAP 4 I put down an excellent lap to beat my previous best time. Once I put down a good time I decided to back off and take it easy for the last lap. It proved my downfall. At the sweeping left-hander I ran wide, resulting in an off. At the hairpin, and again at the right-left complex before the final turn I went wide again.

In the end I won easily by over a third of a lap.

Qualifying time: 1’03.372
Total time: 5’26.549
My best: 1’02.941
Win Margin:
-- Castrol Tom’s Supra - +0’34.478
-- Corvette C5-R - +0’39.366
-- Raybrig NSX – 0’39.489
-- Viper GTS-R Team Oreca - +0’42.961
-- Castrol Mugen NSX - +0’43.115
AI Pit:
-- Corvette C5-R – LAP 3

Race 4: Deep Forest – 5 LAPS

I was a little disappointed with myself this race, as I ran a post-five minute race time, when I should have been below 5 minutes.

After qualifying on pole I went out with a good attitude – get the hang of Manual and whatever happens happens. Good attitude, but what about the first corner? That proved to be my bogey corner for this race.

On the first lap first corner, I ran wide, and almost lost it, but Manual saved my arse again – I upshifted and the tyres stopped spinning instantly. I gathered it up, downshifted once more and took off again.

On LAP 3 I ran my best lap. I really think I’m getting the hang of Manual!

On LAP 2, 4 and 5 I ran wide on Turn 1 once again, resulting in higher lap times. But it made no difference in the end. I won quite easily, by more than a quarter of a lap.

Qualifying time: 0’57.790
Total time: 5’00.450
My best: 0’57.236
Win Margin:
-- Viper GTS-R Team Oreca - +0’30.104
-- Raybrig NSX - +0’34.205
-- Castrol Tom’s Supra - +0’34.404
-- Castrol Mugen NSX - +0’38.761
-- Corvette C5-R - +0’38.851
AI Pit:
-- Corvette C5-R – LAP 3

Race 5: SSR5 – 5 LAPS

In one of my better races I went out and drove a good qualifying lap, and qualified on pole – of course.

At the start of the race I had a bit of a moment, bouncing off the wall on the corner before the first hairpin, but it didn’t hinder me a whole lot. I kept it together and ran a nice time.

On LAP 2 I had a bit of a hairy moment, bouncing off the wall at the turn before the right-left-right combination which approaches the last corner. I bounced off the outside wall (Manual :banghead: ), catapulted into the inside wall and lost it, spinning out. After gathering it up and continuing toward the next lap, I nailed the last corner and got an amazing run into the fist corner.

I put down my best time on LAP 4, after almost breaking 1’06.1 the previous lap. I came so close to going below ’05.0 it wasn’t funny.

I won easily by more than a minute.

Qualifying time: 1’06.429
Total time: 5’37.545
My best: 1’06.096
Win Margin:
-- Castrol Tom’s Supra - +1’04.713
-- Raybrig NSX - +1’05.335
-- Corvette C5-R - +1’09.771
-- Castrol Mugen NSX – 1’10.311
-- Viper GTS-R Team Oreca - +1’13.858
AI Pit:
-- Corvette C5-R – LAP 3

Race 6: Trial Mountain – 5 LAPS

I went to Trial Mountain with, as always, the idea of getting used to Manual at that particular course. I went out to qualify and was surprised as to how quick I got used to the Manual. Of course, I qualified on pole.

At the start of the race I missed the apex of the left hander approaching the downhill 90-right, which caused me to run wide and clip the rock face at the end of the turn. I got bounced off the wall onto the grass outside the 90-right and just about lost it. I managed to gather it up and keep going.

On LAP 3 I had an extremely hairy incident when I ran wide on the same corner, but this time the ramifications were a bit more severe. I got air over the turn, but as I was heading towards the wall (in the air) I had no control over the car, so I bounced off the rock face and onto the other side of the track. I braked hard and managed to keep it off the outside wall, but I got all crossed up and spun it. I ended up facing the way I came, but got it all together and took off up the straight.

On LAP 4 I ran my best time. I believe that this was the best lap I’ve ever done on this track.

I took it easy on LAP 5 to win by almost a minute.

Qualifying time: 1’08.979
Total time: 5’46.768
My best: 1’08.465
Win Margin:
-- Castrol Tom’s Supra - +0’56.546
-- Raybrig NSX - +0’57.820
-- Castrol Mugen NSX - +1’02.321
-- Corvette C5-R - +1’02.604
-- Viper GTS-R Team Oreca - +1’06.418
AI Pit:
-- Corvette C5-R
-- Viper GTS-R Team Oreca

Race 7: Seattle Circuit – 5 LAPS

I went out to qualify at Seattle with one simple mission – get the gist of Manual. After qualifying on pole I stayed out for another 3 or 4 laps, and really got the Manual down-pat.

I started fairly poorly – I ran wide on the first turn, causing me to clip the wall outside the first turn. After running a good lap on the second lap, it all went bad on LAP 3.

After blitzing the first few corners, I got to 2 corners after the 90-right at the crest, got tangled up in my own feet, and hit the inside kerb, which catapulted me to the outside wall. I bounced, hard, off the wall and lost it in the corner. Still carrying better than 150 km/h I pulled off 3 massive 360s before slamming the outside wall of the corner before the turn approaching the back straight. I was again bounced into the wall, and ended up (thankfully) coming to a stop about 50 metres down the back straightaway.

After easing back into my rhythm I laid ran best time on LAP 5. I won by nearly a minute.

Qualifying time: 1’17.638
Total time: 6’30.598
My best: 1’16.519
Win Margin:
-- Viper GTS-R Team Oreca - +0’57.013
-- Castrol Tom’s Supra - +0’59.776
-- Raybrig NSX - +1’02.066
-- Castrol Mugen NSX - +1’04.946
-- Corvette C5-R - +1’05.095
AI Pit:
-- Corvette C5-R – LAP 3

Race 8: Midfield Raceway Reverse – 5 LAPS

I was already fairly aquainted with Midfield Raceway Normal as I had tested there with Manual before, but Reverse was a totally different concept. I went out and qualified nicely, getting the hang of the Transmission in less than half a lap. I stayed out for another lap after getting a good lap just to hone my skills a bit.

After getting off to a good start it went horribly wrong when I put two wheels onto the dirt in the approach to the “tunnel corner”, resulting in my car getting extremely crossed up and losing it under full power. I spun and came to a stop in the middle of the track on the other side of the tunnel.

On LAP 2 I drove my best lap, really getting hold of the Manual Transmission. On laps 3 and 4 I put down good times also, but LAP 5 almost went very wrong. I approached the left-right complex that is Turns 1 and 2, and, carrying too much speed, ran across the grass, missing Turn 2 entirely. I ran wide onto the outside of Turn 2, getting all crossed up. I bounced and jounced over the ripple strip and just managed to brake in time to avoid slamming into the wall.

The oil light came on this race, but it didn’t harm my lap times a whole lot.

I won by nearly 40 seconds.

Qualifying time: 0’58.679
Total time: 4’56.836
My best: 0’57.298
Win Margin:
-- Castrol Tom’s Supra - +0’38.022
-- Raybrig NSX - +0’39.258
-- Castrol Mugen NSX - +0’39.365
-- Corvette C5-R - +0’39.411
-- Viper GTS-R Team Oreca - +0’42.089
AI Pit:
-- Corvette C5-R

Race 9: SSR11 – 5 LAPS

After going out and qualifying on pole, I started the race in my typical fashion. I started out by driving good lap times and by LAP 3 was more than 30 seconds in front of the competition.

I had a bit of a moment on LAP 4 when I went wide at the chicane Turn 2. I bounced off the inside, shot to the outside and just about lost it, but for Turn 3. If the 3rd turn hadn’t come up, I would surely have spun. As it was, I pulled off this amazing drift, straightened up and took off once more.

On LAP 5 I clipped the back-straight chicane, and brushed the wall before the right-left corner, which caused me to miss the turn. But I did the right thing, downshifted, missed the wall and went on to win the race by more than a minute.

Qualifying time: 1’35.509
Total time: 8’03.515
My best: 1’34.936
Win Margin:
-- Castrol Tom’s Supra – +1’07.780
-- Castrol Mugen NSX – +1’09.415
-- Raybrig NSX – +1’09.417
-- Corvette C5-R – +1’16.688
-- Viper GTS-R Team Oreca – +1’27.495
AI Pit:
-- Corvette C5-R

Race 10: Grand Valley Speedway – 5 LAPS

Did Not Race

I have a strategy which gets me the car I want, and I don’t have to do the Championship like 5 times to get my desired car. I’ll make sure I have at least a 12 point margin going into the last race, make sure the series up to the second last race is saved, then enter the last race. I’ll quit then go to the Presentations. If I don’t get my desired car then I’ll go through the process again, and again, until I get the car I want. Then I’ll exit the series and complete the last race individually. Sure, it sacrifices a race, but it’s an excellent way of getting the car that you want. ;)

Well, the series is finished, I’ve got another 200,000 grand in the bank and I now have a nice shiny C-West Razo Silvia locked safely away in my garage.

My next race will be the Special Stage R11 Endurance Event where I hope to win the SuperAutobacs MR-2 JGTC. I look forward to bringing you the report.

Very well done, Sandstorm. It makes sense to run the F1 here to practice shifting yourself. Sounds like you're getting a handle on it. A nice writeup indeed!

I tried the C5R and couldn't get the front tires to last long enough to do anything. I was in the pits constantly. I wish I'd owned my Viper Oreca at the time because it makes mincemeat outta the C5R, and the tire wear is fabulous.

Originally posted by cobraking13
Congradulations Sandstorm.. thats one heck off a write-up.. mabe i should give that a go..
Yeah, I do my write-ups on the computer first, then cut & paste to GTP. That way I'm not on the Internet for like 5 hours, trying to figure out what to write and running up the hours on my connection. I'm only on 30 free hours. Maybe i should upgrade! 💡

Originally posted by neon_duke
Very well done, Sandstorm. It makes sense to run the F1 here to practice shifting yourself. Sounds like you're getting a handle on it. A nice writeup indeed!
Thank you, thank you.

Remember the capital S at the start of Storm, though. I'll let it slip once and only once, OK? ;)

Originally posted by RVDNuT374
I used Medium Slicks for every race.;) They lasted w/out any problem.
T4s? How on earth? Maybe I was on T5s, I forget - but the front tires went away in about 3 laps and the car wasn't that fun to drive anyway. It handled like a toboggan as soon as the fronts turned orange - the characteristics changed radically as the tires heat cycled.

The Viper, OTOH, will go at least 10 laps on a set of T3s, and the handling is very consistent throughout the life of the tire. It's no contest as far as I'm concerned.

Originally posted by neon_duke
T4s? How on earth? Maybe I was on T5s, I forget - but the front tires went away in about 3 laps and the car wasn't that fun to drive anyway. It handled like a toboggan as soon as the fronts turned orange - the characteristics changed radically as the tires heat cycled.

Maybe it's your driving style or the settings sucked for the C5R.;)

Latest Posts

Back