GT1&2 Major Errors.

Tina Branford

(Banned)
United States
United States
Hello everyone. We all in the GT community should know of PD's many errors(intentional or not) on car specs in there earlier games especially concerning power levels in American Sports cars. However, this post is in relation to the awesome Mazda Cosmo 20B's power levels. This just recently started to really irk me very bad. It is not as though the Cosmo is a lovely handling car in the game by any means but it should be a great high speed cruiser like the Mitsubishi GTO is.

Most people are aware of the Japanese Gentlemen's Agreement back in the day with the whole 276 HP limit crap of which many car companies lied about their specs. In this such way saying their cars made 276 but really some produced over 300 etc. The Mazda Cosmo was the first stock Japanese production car to make over 300 HP from it's powerful Twin Turbo 2.0L 3 Rotor beastly engine. There are some sources saying that the latest Cosmo actually produced 320 HP stock like the 1997 Supra Twin Turbo and the 1998 Mitsubishi GTO VR-4 and such. But what do we see in GT1.... we see PD sucking up to the piston engines: when you buy the GTO and what not it gets ~315 HP(in you garage) but the Cosmo power gets reduced to 269 HP(in your garage) I believe from it's shown 276HP. Why would they lie so greatly about this car? to handicap it I wonder(are they afraid of rotary engines or something?) Also the Cosmo can only be tuned to 650+ HP while the Skyline, Supra, and GTO can get 880+ HP in this game; this is ridiculous and angers me.

Any Rotor nut like me can clearly understand the rotors can make well over 800 hp even up 1300+ here is a video to show ye...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1u_3bvcHwk&feature=related

There are other links to other vid's form that one or you may do your own research on the matter if you feel so inclined that is.

So I wonder why they have their holy Nissan's, Mitsubishi's, and Toyota's making about 1000HP but not the powerful 3 Rotors?

What do you people think of this false advertising?

Damn. I have no idea what happened, to be honest. You could make the assumption that with American & British companies, things might have gotten screwed up because of a miscommunication from the actual car-company itself, or because PD was lazy, didn't do their homework, or (in the case of GT2) PD was too busy trying to make this huge deadline..

But with a Japanese car-maker featured in GT1 which is right on their own soil? I haven't a clue. I have a couple theories but they're kinda dumb.

1. Mazda itself maybe didn't want their car's power to be officially known. Maybe they were afraid it would cause some extra taxes on their Cosmo as it was exported to other countries.

2. Or maybe they were trying to meet some sort of overall fuel-economy/safety standards, the way in America our cars have to meet certain CAFE standards by the year whatever it is (I don't feel ike lookingi t up now). Having a sports car who's power is essentially breaking a major agreement would be bad for PR, even in a videogame.

...in other words, maybe Mazda itself was trying to tone their image down for (fill in the blank) reason. That's what I'm trying to say. Maybe Mazda was being proactive, and trying to avoid any future consequences which might come about if their secret became officially known....

3. PD itself screwed up. Or they got a mis-communication from Mazda itself. Personally, I feel like this is the least possible of the three.

GT1 was in production for a lot longer than GT2 was, and they had all this time to get 166 cars in (as opposed to over 700). It seems improbable to me that such a major error would have simply been passed up unnoticed over such a longer period of time.

Last edited:
You have to be talking about a different car than the Mazda Cosmo because it's was only made from 1967 to the early 70s. I think you mean the RX-7?

Damn. I have no idea what happened, to be honest. You could make the assumption that with American & British companies, things might have gotten screwed up because of a miscommunication from the actual car-company itself, or because PD was lazy, didn't do their homework, or (in hte case of GT2) PD was too busy trying to make this huge deadline..

But with a Japanese car-maker featured in GT1 which is right on their own soil? I haven't a clue. I have a couple theories but they're kinda dumb.

1. Mazda itself maybe didn't want their car's power to be officially known. Maybe they were afraid it would cause some extra taxes on their Cosmo as it was exported to other companies.

2. Or maybe they were trying to meet some sort of overall fuel-economy/safety standards, the way in America our cars have to meet certain CAFE standards by the year whatever it is (I don't feel ike lookingi t up now). Having a sports car who's power is essentially breaking a major agreement would be bad for PR, even in a videogame.

...in other words, maybe Mazda itself was trying to tone their image down for (fill in the blank) reason. That's what I'm trying to say. Maybe Mazda was being proactive, and trying to avoid any future consequences which might come about if their secret became officially known....

3. PD itself screwed up. Or they got a mis-communication from Mazda itself. Personally, I feel like this is the least possible of the three.

GT1 was in production for a lot longer than GT2 was, and they had all this time to get 166 cars in (as opposed to over 700). It seems improbable to me that such a major error would have simply been passed up unnoticed over such a longer period of time.

Wow.... you know what PB, I never even thought about these points you just brought up. I think it may have been the fact that Mazda may have been toning down their cars power levels in the game for sneaky reasons as you have said; I am defineitely leaning toward this logical assumption.

I just have to tell myself anyway that even though the RX7's(rotary of course) don't get the highest power levels in GT they are still always accurately depicted as some of the greatest handling cars in the game. For example in my GT2 game my full tuned 1998 Mazda RX7 RS makes record production car times on Laguna Seca and in GT4 my stock 2002 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A on normal tires would make if I remeber correctly around 7:45:000-7:55:000 lap times(using the G25).

Wow.... you know what PB, I never even thought about these points you just brought up. I think it may have been the fact that Mazda may have been toning down their cars power levels in the game for sneaky reasons as you have said; I am defineitely leaning toward this logical assumption.

It's just because I've done so much research on various automobile companies. Like during the '60s & early '70s, some American comanies would purposely release horsepower figures which were lower than what officially came off the dyno. They did this because the government was cracking down on our muscle cars, which were getting out of control with accidents and street racing, etc.

This also looked good to the insurance people. If you have a car rated at 400 horsepower, and one rated at 200, which one do you think the insurance folks are going to give a lower rate to? 💡 And in modern times, some countries will place a higher tax on cars which have more power.

I just have to tell myself anyway that even though the RX7's(rotary of course) don't get the highest power levels in GT they are still always accurately depicted as some of the greatest handling cars in the game. For example in my GT2 game my full tuned 1998 Mazda RX7 RS makes record production car times on Laguna Seca and in GT4 my stock 2002 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A on normal tires would make if I remeber correctly around 7:45:000-7:55:000 lap times(using the G25).

Wow, nice.

It's just because I've done so much research on various automobile companies. Like during the '60s & early '70s, some American comanies would purposely release horsepower figures which were lower than what officially came off the dyno. They did this because the government was cracking down on our muscle cars, which were getting out of control with accidents and street racing, etc.

Speaking of american Muscle Cars I really love them and have been getting way more into them lately. Some of my many dream cars are Plymouth GTX, Plymouth Superbird(these are very expensive collectors cars now) 1969 Pontiac GTO "Judge" and many more these are all awesome cars.

This also looked good to the insurance people. If you have a car rated at 400 horsepower, and one rated at 200, which one do you think the insurance folks are going to give a lower rate to? 💡 And in modern times, some countries will place a higher tax on cars which have more power.

Yeah I see what you mean there. I can just imagine how much insurance would be on my dream RX7. It would be a 450 or so HP NA 3 Rotor weighing in at around 2500 LBS. It would have customizable track ready suspension kit. Huge powerful breaks and other necessary parts to make a great handling track car with good power.

Back