GT1 & GT2 FR compared to the GT3 & GT4 FR handling

Does the GT1 & GT2 FR car handling problem annoy you?

• Total voters

Eric Demory

Formerly known as “Crooooooow”
Premium
United States
Dallas, TX
Why is it that in both GT1 & GT2, the FR cars are easily to spin out of control, but in GT3 & GT4, the FR cars handle just fine not any problems? Never spinning out of control not even at all? This has been mindboggling me for years! :confused:

I've never felt that GT3 was too far removed from the first two games, myself. And I've always preferred the physics engine in the first three games than the infuriating understeer-fest that most of GT4 is.

I've never felt that GT3 was too far removed from the first two games, myself. And I've always preferred the physics engine in the first three games than the infuriating understeer-fest that most of GT4 is.

Aggreed. Played GT1, GT2, and GT3. I admit I didn't play GT4 that much because my PS2 bailed on me and I didn't get a new one, but I didn't quite like the handling when powerful FR cars where prone to understeer.

What I meant to say was... when driving FR cars in GT1 & GT2, you are easily to spin out of control. But in GT3 & GT4, it is not easily to spin out of control in the FR drivetrain cars.

It's part of what makes GT1 and to a lesser extent GT2 a lot more exciting that GT3 or 4.

In GT1, it was an incredible challenge to keep a Viper or even a Supra on the track, because they were rediculously fast, and then once you got them into a corner, they would easily spin out. Once you got to GT3 (and especially 4) it's not hard to keep a car on the track at all, and everything but the S Class cars feel slow IMO.

I didn't notice any oversteer problem on GT1 & GT2 since I was 7 at my first GT experience:P.

But, in my opinion, at the time both GT1 & GT2 were in development, there is no good technologies that can replicate the handling of a real car and implement it in any racing games. So, on the first two GT games, it might be ALL FR cars would stay at the same characteristics, oversteer:idea:.

AtD94-[GT];3613481
But, in my opinion, at the time both GT1 & GT2 were in development, there is no good technologies that can replicate the handling of a real car and implement it in any racing games. So, on the first two GT games, it might be ALL FR cars would stay at the same characteristics, oversteer:idea:.

PC simulators during GT1 & GT2 times have already reached levels of realism that GT5P still struggles to achieve now. It's not the lack of technology, but the lack of power from the PS1.

Funnily enough, I find FR cars in GT1 and GT2 to be very very tame (then again, my favourite car is the NSX :lol:). Sure they will spin if you're a leadfoot, but I fully expect that characteristic from an RWD car. In GT2 I used to think that all cars understeer too much :lol:. Going back to GT1/2 after GT5P just recently, I found that all cars have an insane amount of grip. No under/oversteer, just tons and tons of grip. Unrealistic, but FUN.

That aside, I never played GT3/4 extensively myself (just a couple of times at a friend's house). So I cannot really comment on the differences. From those few chances that I get to play though, the cars do seem to understeer excessively in GT3/4. Thankfully, this characteristic is gone in GT5P.

Good topic for a thread eric. 👍

I voted "no". I never was annoyed overall by the handling of rear-drives in the first two games, if anything, I'd say I was (generally) enthralled by it. Which means I dug it, in case you don't know what "enthralled" means.

There was a moment very early on during my GT1 days when I was having massive problems with a Camaro at Autumn Ring. Kept spinning out in the corners and stuff. But I managed to solve this once I figured I could switch from digital (X and [] for accel & brakes) to analog. Now I could use partial throtttle in turns. 💡

I would like to add this. Although GT4 has way less oversteer than the other games, it has managed to introduce many finer points of oversteer absent from earlier games: trail-braking, lift-off, and throttlesteer are much more commandable in GT4 while driving rear-drives.

Well, I should say they're easier to employ without drastic consequences (such as slipping, fishtailing, and spins showing up as a result). GT4 isn't as "fun" as the earlier games, tho, but we all know that. ;)

It didn't bother me at the time. But then I was used to slot-cars which have a tendency towards power-induced oversteer. And, like PB says, I used analog throttle. Right from before I even got the game. (I.e. in the demo).

When I go back to [size=+1]GT1[/size] I find it difficult to control the FR cars, but they're still not as bad as MR cars in even [size=+1]GT4[/size] ([size=+1]GT4[/size] has that weird non-spinny oversteer, though). The thing is [size=+1]GT4[/size] unrealistically requires you to slam on the brakes to get the car to turn at all. You transfer that habit to [size=+1]GT1[/size], and, yes, it is disastrous.

I think if I took a few days I could get used to it again. Maybe.

GTPSP physics seem generally nice and realistic, not super understeery. A little deliberately forgiving because of the interface, maybe. Requires and rewards more delicate braking.

What are these slot cars?

They still make them, I see slot car sets occasionally in department stores. I'm not sure if they are still as cool as they used to be. When we had slot car sets as kids, Tyco and Aurora/AFX were the top-selling brands. This would have been back in the '80s. The Aurora/AFX cars were the best because it was possible to swap motors, tires, and other parts. Basically, you could take the entire car apart, buy new parts seperately, etc. Tyco was more limited, you couldn't take them apart as far.

We used to actually simulate rain sometimes, by spraying water directly onto the track! The electrical current is pretty low, so it's not like you're gonna get a shock or anything. We also used to have baja/rally races (put a section of flex-track in, and put some coins under it to make a small ramp). Fun times.

Oh yeah. I remember playing a Nascar one and winning it. Because there was no one else racing................. hope you didn't laugh. Reminds me how lonely I am. really.:(

Oh yeah. I remember playing a Nascar one and winning it. Because there was no one else racing................. hope you didn't laugh. Reminds me how lonely I am. really.:(

Yup. aint much to do in Washington County, is there? lol I'm in Howard where there's more people and still it gets dull.

Ahhh....slot cars. I remember I have quite a big track when I was small (5-6 metres long IIRC), with banking, loops and bridges. I used to spray water to simulate 'rain', and sprinkle some dirt to turn it into a 'rally' stage. I even remember plucking leaves off the trees in my backyard and scatter them all over the track and call it 'autumn'. Too bad there's no snow where I live so I can't make a winter rally stage :(. Needless to say, the electronics didn't last long :lol:, so I abandoned the slot cars themselves and used 1:64 scale hot wheels/matchbox cars to race instead :lol:. Good times.

Ahhh....slot cars. I remember I have quite a big track when I was small (5-6 metres long IIRC), with banking, loops and bridges. I used to spray water to simulate 'rain', and sprinkle some dirt to turn it into a 'rally' stage. I even remember plucking leaves off the trees in my backyard and scatter them all over the track and call it 'autumn'. Too bad there's no snow where I live so I can't make a winter rally stage :(. Needless to say, the electronics didn't last long :lol:, so I abandoned the slot cars themselves and used 1:64 scale hot wheels/matchbox cars to race instead :lol:. Good times.

You have autumn in Indonesia? That's one thing I never did--sprinkle dirt on the track. But we did spray water. We also used to cut little grooves into tires to make them for wet weather

You have autumn in Indonesia? That's one thing I never did--sprinkle dirt on the track. But we did spray water.

We don't have autumn here, but we have trees that have red/orange/yellow leaves all year long, so I just used those and 'pretended' that it was autumn :P.

We also used to cut little grooves into tires to make them for wet weather.

Nice!

Back