GT1 Hybridization Guide and Program help needed

Hello all, I was looking around the net for information on the cars in GT1 and kept seeing the word hybrid cars, so I started looking up to see what it was and if you could make hybrid cars on GT1. Problem is everything I found on the net on hybridizing cars on GT1 was 8 years out of date and all the links were broken. To make long story shorter how do you make hybrids on GT1? I have the SCUS-94194 version of GT1 or version 1.1. Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: Since most of the GT Hybrid stuff is missing, out of date, or just all over the place, I am putting a team together to help with a project of making a program,a Hybridization tutorial for each version of GT, and a website that will not only have a link back to this forum but if we can get enough people that knows this stuff and would help with the project the quicker we will have the information and hybridization tools available to all here. If you would like to help please leave me a message stating that you want to help and how you can help with the project.
As of this moment it is myself and VANDENAL on the team. There is more than enough work to go around. We need more that just people that know how to make hybrids for GT1 but for all the different GT games as well as writers, graphic artist, programmers, website designers, people to input data into spread sheets and databases, people that are familiar with differences between versions and last but not least people that can translate the English version of the final documents and webpages into some of the other popular languages.

Last edited:
Yes I tried the way back machine but I didn't have any luck with the site I found. It hasn't been updated in over 8 years. Some of the codes and charts are still there but all info on how to use them and the example files are gone. Plus all the links to other site with the info are dead links too. Here is the site if the charts that are there helps. http://gthybridcars.www5.50megs.com/gt1%20info.htm

Sadly, when Geocities went down it took most of the older GT sites with it. I'm surprised James' site is still up.

I never really made hybrids in GT1, but what you'll find on that site is pretty much what anyone could tell you. Basically, you need a gameshark, the game, and the list of codes...it's all pretty self explanatory after that. You replace whatever parts you want to change that are currently in the car with parts from other cars. The 8 digit basecode tells the game which type of part it is (Engine, tires, etc.), and the 4 digit part code tells the game which specific part it is (Supra engine, etc.).

Do you have a gameshark? GS Pro or CDX or something else? The Gameshark Pro plugs into the back of your playstation and is generally considered to be the best for this type of thing, simply because you can make adjustments directly to the game's memory during play as you wish without being forced to turn off the playstation and swap disks and things. With the Gameshark CDX (like the more modern gamesharks for the PS2), you type out the codes you want, then load the game, and that's it.

The whole process is a lot simpler than many make it out be.

Sadly, when Geocities went down it took most of the older GT sites with it. I'm surprised James' site is still up.

I never really made hybrids in GT1, but what you'll find on that site is pretty much what anyone could tell you. Basically, you need a gameshark, the game, and the list of codes...it's all pretty self explanatory after that. You replace whatever parts you want to change that are currently in the car with parts from other cars. The 8 digit basecode tells the game which type of part it is (Engine, tires, etc.), and the 4 digit part code tells the game which specific part it is (Supra engine, etc.).

Do you have a gameshark? GS Pro or CDX or something else? The Gameshark Pro plugs into the back of your playstation and is generally considered to be the best for this type of thing, simply because you can make adjustments directly to the game's memory during play as you wish without being forced to turn off the playstation and swap disks and things. With the Gameshark CDX (like the more modern gamesharks for the PS2), you type out the codes you want, then load the game, and that's it.

The whole process is a lot simpler than many make it out be.

I have GS v5, CEP, hex workshop 5, and Pec though I have not found the garage codes for my GT1 disk. I did a memdump.hex of the game but the off sets are different than the Game Shark disk. Tried Hex workshop on a copy of my mem card as well and still have not found the right codes. Took me 3 days to figure out how the programmers did the timers for the game. I think that is why you don't see a stop clock code on GT1.1. I did right a code that works in the license test. You get have to input the times that you want and turn it on while doing the test you are working on.

Using the data from that site above how would I do the following cars to input into my GS So I can see how it works.

Examples: MR2-GT-S Body
Keep it as a Mid-Engine car
Use the Nissan Pulsar '91 GTI-R 4WD Drivetrain
Nissan R33 Skyline GT-R V.spec Engine
FTO LM Edition Tires which are size 305/40 18 front and rear. I would have liked to have the Vipers rear tires on both the front and back of this hybrid car but I don't know if that is posible or not.
Need the race type 7 speed trany from the Viper GTS-R

Note:If possible I'd put the Viper GTS Engine instead of the one above if I could put a stage 4 Turbo on it or stage 3 NA with a super charger add on.
Cut the weight at least in half from the full race speced MT2 GT-S

Like to build a second car same as above but with the del Sol LM Edition black and white race body and with a FF Drivetrain.

Thanks skynyrd for the help so far.

PS: If I get all this figured out well enough I'll write a program that we can use on all the GT to hybrid cars. I just need to learn the ins and outs of making a hybrid and collect all the code and information for the GT games I do not own. Put some Beta tester for the other GT games.

Last edited:
I can't really tell you the details for GT1 hybrids; the game's set up a bit different from GT2, which is the one I specialized in. You can do a lot in GT2, but it looks like GT1 is quite a bit more limited. What you're asking would be a breeze in GT2, but...

Judging from what I see on the site, though, it looks like you can't change engine or weight or drivetrain in GT1. Don't quote me on that, but yeah. It looks like the car/body basecode found here might let you change the car's body. But again, don't quote me on that. Also, I don't know what effect that might have on the rest of the car.

Tires: It looks like there is one code space for tires, meaning you get the whole set and can't pick and choose different tires for the front and back.

Transmission: I generally stay away from that kind of thing, since five or six gears is usually plenty to work with. If you absolutely must have seven, however, you'll have to put in values for the extra gear settings. It sounds like you won't have a problem figuring out numbers in hex and everything, so it should be fine.

You'll be needing a lot of part codes I think, but that's as simple as buying cars, fixing them up in game however you like, and looking at the values in the editor.

As for testing things out, just try a couple of the part codes found on that site. Keep it simple and try out different things; since pretty much none of the original GT1 hybrid guys are still around, you'll have to do a lot of messing around to figure out how it works in this game.

Sorry I can't really help more than that. If it was GT2...

Sorry I can't really help more than that. If it was GT2...
I wish I could find my GT2 disk, I think my nephew has it but I'm not sure. I have been tinkering with the codes from the site and you can change the weight but not the complete engine it seems. I played around with the MR2 and it turned out to be very fast but, it was basically a drag car after that you could not control the car if you changed the tires it wouldn't turn. If you left the tires alone and put the De Sol LM suspension under it you couldn't touch the steering without losing control of the car.
I'm trying to find the other parts that are not listed on the site but no luck so far. I need to uncompress the save files I think to do any real editing. As for the writing hybrid editor program I'll need all the parts and car codes to for each GT game to write one that will work on any of the GT games. That way I can write the data base for the program. I'll get started sometime today designing the forms and layout of the program so if anyone has anything they would like to see in this editor let me know so I can try to incorporate it into the program.

Hey Guys, I did find some of the old data for Hybridizing a GT1.1 car but when I plugged in the data for the car I was testing it screwed up a lot of the setting and some things that didn't work at all. I think I'm missing something besides the other missing page of parts. I did notice that on this chart that the creator of the hybrid kept having the car code as well as the part number code. Does that mean that I have to change the car code for each change that is not a part that normally goes on the car?
Here is one of the charts I was going by,

http://web.archive.org/web/20011208212101/geocities.com/MotorCity/Show/4003/ftogpx_gtp.html, if you look at the chart you will see down on the brakes and the brake controller it has BUY the part number of 97 and the car code of A2 which from the list of car codes in the Viper GTS. So what am I doing wrong? Not changing the car codes back and forth?

I'm in the process of writing a program that will allow you to choose the parts and car that you want to hybrid and it will output the codes that you put into your cheat device. As of now I can only do it for GT1 if you want it to do any of the newer editions of GT I'm going to need some help gathering and processing the data needed for the code generator to work for the other versions. For example I know that the difference in the coding of GT1 and GT1.1 is adding 90 hex to the version 1 in order for the codes to work for both versions I have to incorporate the coding differences into the program. So if you are good at hybridization of any of the other versions of GT and want to help with this project please let me know so I can write up the data that I need for the other versions. Anyone that helps with this project will get credit for any work that they are involved in concerning this project. Thanks ahead of time for your input.

This game is much more forgiving when it comes to messing up a code, you can change settings on your hybrid and immediately go racing. In gt2 you need to exit and re-enter the event. I originally wrote 'for codes add 90 hex' I don't know why.

Last edited:
There are minor differences. Sportwagon explains them on a thread in the gran turismo 1 forum. I'll try to post a link to it as soon as possible. Other than codes for sharking, the differences are not much. I think that the civic (racer) is called the ek civic r, something like that, and the crx was the ek crx. In version 1.1 the names are fixed.

First of all, what is the difference between GT1 and GT1.1?

In the case for this project the main difference to know is the base codes because they are different for each version. Lets say you have a US version of the game which there are two versions for the first GT game. Lets say that you want to change the normal FTO GPR that is in your garage to a FTO LM plus you want to add a stage four turbo and a race intercooler to it to make it have more power. The FTO you want to change just happens to be the first car you bought and in the first slot in your garage.
So you add the code for the first slot in your garage that is listed in the basecodes which is 8009BA08 you put the code for the first slot in with the parts code from the code list so it now looks like this 8009BA08 0058 but you wanted a Green one instead of the normal black one since there is more than one color on this car you can change it without messing any thing up. So your code now looks like this 8009BA08 1058.

You turn the code on then off since there is no need to leave this code on.
You go to your garage and something is wrong you don't have your Green FTO LM So what happened? You look at your disc and read the code off the disk under the rating information an it reads SCUS-94194 and another 94194 under that. You look that up and find out that it is the GTv1.1 version so you have to change the code but the list you have only list version GT1 so how do you fix it so it works?

Well the difference in the code for these two versions is 90 hex so to change it from a version 1 to version 1.1 you add 90 hex to the basecode but not the offset so 8009BA08 plus 90 hex is 8009BA98 the part numbers are the same I think, I can't speak for the Pal and Japanese versions part numbers since I don't have those versions. So you undo what you did earlier by reloading the game. (Always save the game before doing any mods on a game so if you mess up you can reload it to before you changed anything)

Place the new code in your editing device (gameshark, Action Replay, etc), 8009BA98 1058 plus the codes for the intercooler 8009BAB2 006B and turbo 8009BAC8 0110 you want to use. Turn the code on then off again

Now get into your car that you just turned into a hybrid and go to the Max Speed test machine track and go to the change parts screen and look at you Dyno screen to check if your changes did something screwy. As like weird patterns in the graphs is they look like a normal dyno pattern not shooting off the screen up or down, or the HP line bottoming out then the the engine parts you installed worked without terminal side effects.

All the versions, GT1, GT1.1, Pal, and the Japanese version have different base codes so for me to make the program work for any of the versions I have to have all the information for all versions in the database then write the front end so the one using the program can select which version they have from a drop down list. Then chose the garage position that you want to put the car in from the drop downs list and the rest is the same way.

You will be able to choose your car and what parts you want on the car as well as what setting that you want on the hybrid car. After you have all the parts and settings how you want them you can hit the submit button which will pop up a box that will give you one of three choices to chose from. 1. Send code to printer (Hard Copy), 2. save to file (Soft Copy), or 3, print to screen which will put all the codes for your version of the game from your choices into a text box for you to type your codes into your device manually.

I'll build shortcuts into the program so you can do all three choices if you wish. We are going to ether make separate version for the each of the main builds, GT1, GT2, GT3, etc or in set of groups like PS1 GT games, PS2 GT games, PS3 GT Games and so on. We have not discussed it yet and will not make a final decision till we have all the data for at least the main GT build done and more input from public that is you guys.

Just remember the more GT versions we add to this first build version of the software the longer it will be before it comes out. Also the larger the program will be because the Database will be alot larger and take longer to input the data because there is alot more cars in the other version compared to GT1.

Last edited:
I see...so will this tool-thingy support the PAL version?

Yes and the Japanese version as well I have the basecodes for all of the first GT game. And after I confirm that the part codes are all the same I'll be able to fill in the database with all the versions info. If the parts codes end up being different I'll need someone to gather the parts codes. But right now it looks as if all the part codes are the same in all the versions just they are placed in a different memory address.

To write the words in any other language I'll need translators to convert it to their language. I don't trust machine translations much after I used one the last time and pasted the translated language back into the translator converting it back to English and read it. It wasn't even close to being understandable. Plus I don't have the right characters on this machine to even type out the Japanese version if I knew more than I do of that language, which is a very few phrases.

The first pages are up but a lot of work to go. That and I have to add some more links and fix a few but too tired right now to think about. But if you want to see the layout of the web copy and the hard copy would look and will be laid out just follow the link below and click on one of the page links. The program copy will print out just the codes you want for the car that you choose as a base car. I'll up date the pages with the GT 1 Car information when I get the database completed.

Last edited:
Does anyone know which programming language they use to make games for PS1, PS2, PS3, XBOX? What about databases?

I know SQL and Access databases, VB, Pascal, HTML, CSS and ASP (VBScript). I don't think I can help much, though. And I've been too busy with other projects, I don't have much free time.

Does anyone know which programming language they use to make games for PS1, PS2, PS3, XBOX? What about databases?

I know SQL and Access databases, VB, Pascal, HTML, CSS and ASP (VBScript). I don't think I can help much, though. And I've been too busy with other projects, I don't have much free time.

Technically, you can use any programming language to program a console. A console is a computer, and like all computers has a CPU (or several) and it has a native machine language consisting of specific binary sequences. So long as a compiler/assembler exists to transform a given language into the CPU's specific machine language, you can use it to program that console.

Any help that you can provide will be of great benefit to the team. I'll be adding area on website for team members to discuss the development of Project GT sometime today. Having another team member that is familiar with what you and I are will give me sounding board for any problems I might come across that I get ether stuck at or need a 2nd opinon on what the best way to solve the problem and/or make the program more efficient. The virtual room I had on the site just for this, ended up not being able to do what is needed for the project. So I'll be replacing that today.

Do to a hardware failure on my DVD rom drive I am not able to use some of the software I normally use for a project of this sort. For example: I normally would be using Dreamweaver MX2004 software to add, remove, and edit the website because I could edit the files directly on the server instead of having to use a separate programs to edit, repair, create, and access the files on the server.

Right now I'm having the use MS Word to create and modify the web pages with a lot of hand coding of the code for it to do what I want. Instead of using MS Access DB I'm having to use MS Works DB and hoping that it will interact in conjunction with the SQL DB that we have on the server because I can't install my newer software. If I can get my better computer working like it should I will not have these problems.

So welcome aboard I'll PM you when I have the "work area" set up. Because even a sounding board in helpful at this junction. :)

Latest update on "Project GT" (working title) The website is getting there it is up on the server and I'm working on it as much as I can right now. Right now there is a few things up on the main site including a link back to this forum from any of the main pages that are up. Some are just place holders with the links on them and a title on them at this moment. I have the message board loaded and most of the topics defined and ready for anyone that wants to sign up to help when they can. I have added a few flash games to the message board for you to play around with if you want. I'll be adding more at a later date. I have just gotten Dreamweaver MX 2004 loaded up on this computer even though it was a headache to get it on here with the way I had to do it. So the website should be a bit faster for me to work on now. Research and data entry for the database is slow but coming along. So if you want to see what everything looks like so far stop by for a visit on your way out from here at http://www.p3-phoenixphireproductions.net.tc/ Thanks

If you want a little help (really little, because I've been busy) with the website, tell me :). I think this is the only thing where I can help you so far.

Back