GT2 on Dreamcast/Bleem or on PS2?

• Thread starter Tyger
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
UK
ReTyger
Was thinking earlier about how I used to play GT2 on my Dreamcast with the Bleem! emulator disc, it basically tidied the graphics up, seemed to perform some anti-aliasing and it looked really nice, only small downside was you needed an entire memory card/PDA thing (whatever it was called) for the save, but when I tried it you could already pick these up really cheap.

Then I remembered how the PS2 can render many PS1 games in better detail with faster loading times, so was wondering how GT2 scrubs up on a PS2?

I will probably have a look myself once i've dug out my DC, but am curious if anyone else has compared these two ways of playing!

Was thinking earlier about how I used to play GT2 on my Dreamcast with the Bleem! emulator disc, it basically tidied the graphics up, seemed to perform some anti-aliasing and it looked really nice, only small downside was you needed an entire memory card/PDA thing (whatever it was called) for the save, but when I tried it you could already pick these up really cheap.

Then I remembered how the PS2 can render many PS1 games in better detail with faster loading times, so was wondering how GT2 scrubs up on a PS2?

I will probably have a look myself once i've dug out my DC, but am curious if anyone else has compared these two ways of playing!

The PS2 is only capable of smoothing out the textures, which isn't really much of an improvement.

The Dreamcast however improves the resolution and graphics. Which makes it an overall better looking game. Although some of the car models suffer even more from tearing.

95% of the PSX library ran at 320x240 (240p, the same as that of the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis) pixels for NTSC games. This is important to note, because it helps explain the differences.

Bleemcast (and your typical PSX emulator on the PC) doubled the rendering resolution of the game to the default Dreamcast resolution of 640x480 (480p) pixels and added full screen anti-aliasing.

The PS2 (and the PS3) doubles the resolution to the default PS2 (and PS3) resolution of 640x480 (480i) through upscaling and adds bilinear filtering.

Basically, the two approaches are completely different.

Playing PSX games on the PS2 and PS3 look like this:

And why Bleemcast and PC emulators look like this:

And keep in mind the second picture is technically a lower resolution than the first (first pic is a PS3 running at 1080p, second pic is unnamed PC software running at 720p).

And considering the PS3 does PSX emulation entirely in software, I have no idea why they designed their emulator to upscale rather than simply render higher. There is no benefit to it, because the official Sony emulator isn't any better compatibility-wise than unnamed PC software is. At the very least, they should have compromised (lock the rendering at 720p, and then upscale to higher resolutions if need be) if the PS3 could't render PSX games at 1080p without problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh I didn't remember it looking that much different, even from running on an original PS...thanks for the comparison!

Funny how some of the detail is things you should see, but previously couldn't, such as detail on the wheels.

Wow that is actually amazing, It looks almost as good as an early ps2 game on the pc software and has a kinda ps3 shine to the graphics (sega rally style).

While the ps2 one looks pretty rubbish to say the least.

Just got Bleem running on my Dreamcast and I have to say, it really improves the game. If you want to play a high-res version of GT2 without fiddling with a PC emulator I highly recommend it. As others have said, it's leaps and bounds better than what the PS2 or even PS3 can do. Now I can play my favorite Gran Turismo for more than 15 minutes without being frustrated by the fact that I can't see anything!

I realize thread has been unearthed, but I'll second the positive feedback about running bleem! except for the d-pad use. I ran mine through a vga w/ps1/2 controller adaptation and found that for a few seconds every minute of gameplay, the cars pull to the right. I'm certain it's a fault with the adapter, but it still dampened my experience. Graphics though are top notch. The dreamcast is the perfect engine for GT2...if only the dreamcast controller wasn't so awkward...

Yeah, unfortunately although the Dreamcast is an incredible system, it does have one of the worst controllers I've ever used, and hands down the worst analog stick and triggers. It makes the game a bit harder to play, but I can manage.

Resurrecting this old thread because I just jumped on the Bleem wagon. The graphics really do clean up very nicely, its inspired me to play GT2 again from scratch.

I have no issue with the Dreamcast control, it plays great and I can use the stick and triggers with ease. Yesterday I got all the licenses and now I'm doing races with my eye set on my favourite, the Venturi Atlantique 600.

I do however seem to experience a little slow down though, I wonder if that was always there anyway and I never noticed.

I wish the ps2 or ps3 could have used this kind of rendering (or whatever it is) to upscale all the Ps1 games on their own system. I would have gladly paid Sony an extra $100 for the console if they could have achieved this.

Maybe PS5 will have it.. (dont expect that, Sony will want to resell as many PS1/PS2/PS3 games on PS5 as they can)

Back