GT2 PAL cover art mystery solved!

• Thread starter jimmyfart
  • 3 comments
United States
United States
This has been one of my greatest childhood mysteries. I had the USA version of GT2 so this image was used as the simulation main menu.
gt2.jpg

You probably have seen this image thousands of times, but do you know what it is from? I feel like this was an unspoken mystery because nobody had an answer to. So I contributed time to investigating what it is. Looking at its construction, my guess was that the GT stamp was on an intake plenum rather than a valve cover as the cam sensor was sitting underneath. As for that cam sensor, if you look very closely, it says Ford on it. So I began looking through all Fords in the game and their engines. No match. I realized that Jaguar, Mazda, and Aston Martin also used Ford components. Nothing from Jaguar, no match for Mazda. As for Aston Martin, I just searched through Google Images at various Aston Martin engines for 5 minutes when suddenly-THERE IT IS.
astonmartin.jpeg

Do you see it? Have a Photoshop image for proof:
astonmartin.jpg

This engine is a V12 from a 1999 Aston Martin DB7. You're welcome.

Great spot! For some reason I always thought it was a Ford 'CVH' rocker cover, which always felt disappointing considering its such a crap engine!

This has been one of my greatest childhood mysteries. I had the USA version of GT2 so this image was used as the simulation main menu.
View attachment 1204442
You probably have seen this image thousands of times, but do you know what it is from? I feel like this was an unspoken mystery because nobody had an answer to. So I contributed time to investigating what it is. Looking at its construction, my guess was that the GT stamp was on an intake plenum rather than a valve cover as the cam sensor was sitting underneath. As for that cam sensor, if you look very closely, it says Ford on it. So I began looking through all Fords in the game and their engines. No match. I realized that Jaguar, Mazda, and Aston Martin also used Ford components. Nothing from Jaguar, no match for Mazda. As for Aston Martin, I just searched through Google Images at various Aston Martin engines for 5 minutes when suddenly-THERE IT IS.
View attachment 1204443
Do you see it? Have a Photoshop image for proof:
View attachment 1204444
This engine is a V12 from a 1999 Aston Martin DB7. You're welcome.
I can't say I was still wondering about this, but great find.

This is amazing! It's an amazing find.
I love texture finding.
I guess the next step is to check old brochures or stock media to see if there is some source.

Back