• Thread starter Matej
  • 15 comments

Matej

Premium
Croatia
Zagreb
The Real Athlete

images

This challenge is based on my K4GP challenge I ran long time ago on GT4 forum so I thought about making another one here with enhanced rules and expanded list of cars.

In short terms, the idea is to run certain number of laps using one car from given class and try to keep your times as close to each other as possible. After all submission arrive, I will randomly pronounce target laps and penalty point per time (margin) which will go into valuation process. The smaller gap between the laps, the less penalty points you'll be given, thus increasing your chance for victory.

Run your laps on Arcade Disc - Time Trial mode. You can also run on Simulation Disc - Free Run mode but you will have to find an event that supports certain circuit and record your laps either by watching the replay or by writing them down manually while driving - because there is no Record option to see list of your laps as on Arcade Disc. While running the laps on the Arcade Disc, please turn off the ghost mode.

After I receive all submissions I will pronounce two target laps and distribute penalty points by dividing higher lap with lower lap. Here is the example how the system works:

Track: Apricot Hill Reverse
Target Laps: 2 & 3
Laps: 5
Cars: Any from 1990-1999
Power: Any
Tires: Any
Downforce: No
Specials: None

Honda Beat / Mazda RX-7

2 - 1'56.879 / 1'29.378
3 - 1'55.990 / 1'26.123
4 - 1'56.889 / 1'31.000
5 - 1'56.888 / 1'26.156
---------------------------
Diff: +0'00.889 / +0'03.255
Penalty points: 3 / 9
Margin: 1 point - 0'00.250 sec.

Even though Beat is much slower car it won the race because it collected less penalty points i.e. it was much more consistent between lap 2 and 3. The measure in this case was 1 point - 0'00.250. This will randomly change per tier but I can increase the range to get more competitive racing if necessary.

You can run the event for as long as you wish and then submit pack of laps but I can only accept subsequent order so do not mix laps. First lap does not count due to poor rolling start so use it as a warm-up lap. As long as the order is correct, assignation of target laps should be easy. Look at the example:

Target laps: 3 & 4

Lap 1 - no
Lap 25 - target lap 1
Lap 26 - target lap 2
Lap 27 - target lap 3
Lap 28 - target lap 4
(...)
Lap 37 - no

Above driver ran 37 laps and he decided that during the period from lap 25-28 he set the most consistent laps. Lap 27 and 28 would go into submission. Lap 1 does not count at all even if he wanted to take first set of laps.

You don't know what the target laps will be so make sure all your laps are as much equal as possible. Do not mix laps. Each round has three tires you have to complete. I will pronounce laps and results after I receive all submissions for tiers. You can join the event anytime but you will get slightly higher amount of penalty points in relation to the worst ranked driver.

Your submission should look like this:

Tier: z
Driver: your name
Car: full car name/power/weight
x lap: x'xx.xxx
y lap: y'yy.yyy

Send your submissions in private via Coversation option with appropriate headline so that I know which messages not to open before it is really necessary.

When you sign up please express whether you own Arcade Disc or not. It helps me plan the event in future.

Avoid hitting the walls and keep two wheels on a track (or rumble strip) at all time.
Code:
Results

Tier: 1
Laps: 4
Target laps: 1 & 3
Margin: 0'00.200 sec.

Name: Jeffgoddin    Matej
Car: Daishin Silvia  Raybrig NSX GT

1 - 0'59.883   0'58.087
2 - 1'00.100   0'57.709
3 - 0'59.548   0'57.888
4 - 0'59.399   0'57.450
-----------------------------
Difference:    0'00.335   0'00.199

Tier: 2
Laps: 3
Target laps: 1 & 2
Margin: 0'00.100

Name: Jeffgoddin     Matej
Car: Skyline KPGC10 '71  Cougar XR-7 '67

1 - 1'30.938  1'23.427
2 - 1'31.140  1'23.793
3 - 1'30.926  1'23.635
------------------------------
Difference: 0'00.202  0'00.366

Tier: 3
Target laps: 2 & 3
Margin: 0'00.500

Name: Jeffgoddin    Matej
Car: Camaro Z/28   Legacy Sedan GT '96

1 - 1'45.144   1'44.619
2 - 1'45.023   1'43.866
3 - 1'44.852   1'44.798
4 - 1'45.296   1'44.558
------------------------------
Difference: 0'00.171  0'00.932

[LEFT]TOTAL NEGATIVE POINTS

Jeffgoddin 3
Matej 4[/LEFT]

Last edited:
Round One

Tier 1
Circuit: Tahiti Road Normal
Cars: Any special GT300 or GT500 model (that appear in relative events in GT2)
Power: Stock
Weight: Stock
Tires: Any Racing compound
Specials: You can adjust suspension, brakes, LSD, gearbox or downforce.

Tier 2
Circuit: Grindewald Normal
Cars: Up to 1979 (including the year 1979)
Weight: Any
Tires: Sports compound
Special: You can adjust suspension, brakes, LSD, gearbox

Tier 3
Circuit: Seattle Full Normal
Cars: Any Japanese or American car with more than 270hp (dealership value)
Power: Stock
Tires: Stock
Special: None

Last edited:
I have received first submission by Jeffgoddin. Hopefully we get another player in the field so that the challenge makes some sense.

Anyway, I ran several laps yesterday. Tried to run at Seattle with Viper RT/10 and 300ZX 2by2 Turbo '98. Even though RT/10 owns poor braking distances and it is hard to control on corner entries, I somehow managed to achieve more consistency between the laps.

The run at Tahiti was fun too. Lots of understeer with Raybrig NSX but it helps on the entries. Do not forget you can adjust your suspension where it is allowed (Tier 1 and 2). Good thing about this challenge is that you rely purely on your driving abilities, not of a car.

Don't forget to sign up in this thread prior to running an event. I accidentally opened the message by Jeffgoddin as I thought it was a technical question regarding the rules of the challenge. Luckily, I closed the mail before I could see the times, so no damage was made.

times submitted!

and, I thought for tier 2 there was no suspension upgrade? is that not what "Special: none" means? and that we weren't using racecars from that era, because "Downforce: no."

Last edited:
My apologies. I should have elaborated this more clearly. Usually I always do.

I have updated the informations regarding the tiers and edited first post with some new informations. if you like the tiers you can rerun them again Jeffgoddin, but it is not necessary since the tuning rules are here mainly to keep the realism on a decent level.

The biggest problem right now is the lack of interest as I haven't received any other submissions yet apart from yours and mine. I'm going to wait for a little while before I pronounce the results but I'm afraid I'll have to close the challenge temporary unless you want to run on one-on-one basis, Jeffgoddin.

I don't have my GT2 copy with me so I can't participate for a while, but it sounds like something I'd consider joining if my disc was with me. The way that I'm reading into it is to run a certain number of laps as consistently as possible and submit the consecutive target laps chosen. After the times are submitted for the target lap set, you'll pick two laps and judge penalty points from there. Is that about it, or is there anything else I'm missing (ignoring the tuning rules since those are listed under each event)?

Yeah, I ran like 17, 6, and 15 laps total for each of the tiers, submitting the last 4, 3, and 4, which is when I stopped in each case because I thought, well, that's about as consistent and I can get without doing another 50 laps and hoping for slightly better results eventually. So for the Tahiti tier, it was laps 14, 15, 16, and 17, for Grindy 4, 5, and 6, and Seattle 12, 13, 14, and 15. Something like that anyway.

That's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure of it so that I have a clue of what I'm doing when I decide to jump in and attempt this challenge.

I don't have my GT2 copy with me so I can't participate for a while, but it sounds like something I'd consider joining if my disc was with me. The way that I'm reading into it is to run a certain number of laps as consistently as possible and submit the consecutive target laps chosen. After the times are submitted for the target lap set, you'll pick two laps and judge penalty points from there. Is that about it, or is there anything else I'm missing (ignoring the tuning rules since those are listed under each event)?

You have to submit number of consecutive laps during which you were the most consistent. Two target laps are unknown until I receive all submissions and pronounce them officialy afterwards, by using random generator. You will receive that much penalty points based on the margin that also gets randomly chosen.

Quick example:

Tier 1:
21 - 0'50.000
22 - 0'51.000
23 - 0'50.100
24 - 0'50.300

I now open the submission and pronounce randomly chosen factors:

Margin: 1 penalty points per 0'00.150 second.
Target laps: 3 & 4 (in your case 23 and 24)

Result:
0'50.300 - 0'50.100 = 0'00.200
You would receive 1 penalty point for this tier. Other tiers would get different margin and two target laps.

I hope now everything is clear now. I just wonder AnthonyD1993, should I wait for you to pick up the disc or should I pronounce the results ? You can join us afterwards, I have set the challenge with that in mind as well. You have the best grasp of your situation, so let me know.

The Round One has been completed. I have updated the results. Check the first post.

This was really fun and tense for a first round, I hope someone will join in next few hours so that we can continue with round two.

I haven't figured out how the new code system works so it doesn't look as pretty as it should.

Wow, close! The RNG worked against you in the last round, just a 50% chance that your one off lap would be included, the other 3 were virtually identical times! But hard to get 4 in a row...

Also, I definitely backed off the fastest lap pace by about 2 seconds in each case to go for consistency over speed, did you do the same?

Not quite, because I'm not too good at deducing where and how much to back off or push to equalize all those laps. Usually I examine maximum potential of the car and then circulate on a verge of its limits, i.e. safe zone. That way I am ensured that I don't have two directions to which my consistency may fade away. The most consistent laps above were probably the fastest one I could achieve.

Faster cars are good for the method you described but they are much harder to operate.

And call me annoyingly persistent, but I'm going to open the next round. I would really like to see how competitive this challenge may become. Maybe different scenarios will encourage others to sign up.

Round Two

Tier 4
Circuit: Test Course
Cars: Any
Power: Above 600hp (either by tuning or stock)
Weight: Any
Tires: Racing Hard Compound only
Downforce: Yes
Specials: You can adjust suspension, brakes, LSD, gearbox or downforce.

Tier 5
Circuit: Autumn Ring Normal
Cars: Any Kei (660ccm engine) or Compact (less than 4000mm, 3 or 4-door usable in cities) car
Power: Above 90hp
Tires: Sports compound
Special: You can adjust suspension, brakes, LSD, gearbox

Tier 6
Circuit: Rome Circuit Normal
Cars: year 1980 - 1989
Weight: Stage 1 only
Tires: Stock
Special: You can adjust suspension, brakes, LSD

Last edited:
I'm actually in the process of moving to SF from Ohio, and starting a job, so not sure how much time I'll have going forward, but I enjoyed the challenge of this round, thanks for hosting!

No problem, I'm going to put this challenge on hold until we get enough number of entries. Thanks for participating.

Back