GT3 + others Tyre Temperatures

United Kingdom
Near Reading, Uk
JohnSchoonsBeard
I've just posted this regarding tyres heating in the extensive tyre physics discussion on the official site. Hopefully it may be a help to some. Maybe it's been posted elsewhere but I didn't find it.

BREAKTHROUGH

Right, I'm a PS4 wheel and controller user who has welcomed the new tyre model. I've definitely seen increased tyre temp more when using my controller compared to my wheel. I've been convinced it's a question of finding the right "tweak" to get tyre temperatures to behave on DS4.

I've just done some testing using my DS4 with the Mclaren 12C GT3 with soft slicks at Brno. I used Casey Ringley's (SMS developer) recommended controller settings as a start.

I changed one tuning parameter or controller setting at a time. I tried various car tune changes and control settings. I feel as though I made a breakthrough today.

I found the front left tyre was turning red within 2 to 3 laps whether I drove a fairly pedestrian 2:05 or quicker 2:01 lap. Car setup only made slight differences to the time taken to get into the red even driving relatively onservatively.

When I reset the tune and changed Speed Sensitivity on the in game control setup from 70 to 85 I was able to keep temperatures under control while turning a couple of moderate 2:03 laps. It felt like there was plenty in reserve. I only had time to do a few laps with that setup before having to pick the kids up from school so can't get on again until they go to bed. When I get on again I'll see if something between 70 and 85 is even better.

Edit: managed regular 2:01-2:02 laps with the odd cool down lap. So with a default car tune I'm a little quicker than I was before, more consistent and cooler.

This appears to be a valid solution. I suggest anyone having a problem to try tweaking it. You will find it more difficult to overturn the wheel and scrub the tyres and that's a good thing. I have yet to see how that change works with other cars so it may need tweaking further. However, I no longer have a tyre heat management issue on controller.

Last edited:
Back