GT3 steering error. How can I eliminate this !!?

• Thread starter Sileighty
  • 16 comments
I don't know if you guys have noticed this or not, but you can not give full counter steer while moving in GT3.

Don't belive me ? Use the chase view, and watch your front tires while drifting when giving it full counter steer (using the reverse view helps). Now come to a complete stop, and your wheels will steer a bit more.

Ever wonder why you can't do continuous perfect donuts ? It's because the game automatically starts to straiten the wheels !

Is there any way to disable this function ? I've tried all the different steering assist settings.

This function is limiting the drifting capabilities of everyone.

Well I find that there really is no problem as long as you don’t have the force feedback set to "simulation" that will mess up the counter-steering a lot, set it to pro and it should be all right. And if you have already done that well, just practice it has not limited my drifting in the least and I can barely notice that its there.

It has limited your drifting.

Think of your favorite turn to drift on. You know how fast you can enter this turn and still maintain a clean line, and control of the car. What dictates this speed ? Your amount of counter steer.

Your speed can't exceed your maximum counter steer, other wise you'll spin out. Well guess what ? You aren't able to give your car it's real amount of full counter steer. If you could, you'd be able to take your favorite turn at a higher speed !

Now just think about that for a minute. Then tell me again that you haven't been limited.

Originally posted by Sileighty
I don't know if you guys have noticed this or not, but you can not give full counter steer while moving in GT3.

Don't belive me ? Use the chase view, and watch your front tires while drifting when giving it full counter steer (using the reverse view helps). Now come to a complete stop, and your wheels will steer a bit more.

Ever wonder why you can't do continuous perfect donuts ? It's because the game automatically starts to straiten the wheels !

Is there any way to disable this function ? I've tried all the different steering assist settings.

This function is limited the drifting capabilities of everyone.
The wheel makes all the diff, you didnt mention which you had, hope its not a Logitech DF...that ones the pits to drive with

that's a good wheel. it was made for GT3 in the beginning, so it should be able to work fine. n newayz, aren't all wheels the same?

Originally posted by Thio
that's a good wheel. it was made for GT3 in the beginning, so it should be able to work fine. n newayz, aren't all wheels the same?
You'll regret purchasing that wheel if you do, threw mine out with the garbage

Originally posted by Masterblaster
The wheel makes all the diff, you didnt mention which you had, hope its not a Logitech DF...that ones the pits to drive with

Yes ! I do use a Logitech DF. What's the deal with this wheel ?

Originally posted by Thio

Ah - not so. The original GT Force wheel (of which I am a proud owner) was the original GT3 wheel - and that's a Wingman Formula Force with blue handles. These wheels have no issues (other than the 'drop-out' issue in GT3 which is generally fixed by giving the wheel its own powerpoint).

The Driving Force came out after the initial run of GT Force wheels, and can be distinguished by the DS2 buttons on the face of the wheel. It seems this wheel has suffered from a number of issues - not shifting on full lock, no full braking, that sort of stuff.

Originally posted by vat_man
Ah - not so. The original GT Force wheel (of which I am a proud owner) was the original GT3 wheel - and that's a Wingman Formula Force with blue handles. These wheels have no issues (other than the 'drop-out' issue in GT3 which is generally fixed by giving the wheel its own powerpoint).

The Driving Force came out after the initial run of GT Force wheels, and can be distinguished by the DS2 buttons on the face of the wheel. It seems this wheel has suffered from a number of issues - not shifting on full lock, no full braking, that sort of stuff.
only has 75% braking, an will not turn the car at high speeds, the hand held works better an costs $50 less go figure

Originally posted by vat_man

i was talking about the one that came out wit GT3 in the beginning. so which wheel is good that's on sale rite now? i was planning to get one.

Originally posted by Sileighty
It has limited your drifting.

Think of your favorite turn to drift on. You know how fast you can enter this turn and still maintain a clean line, and control of the car. What dictates this speed ? Your amount of counter steer.

Your speed can't exceed your maximum counter steer, other wise you'll spin out. Well guess what ? You aren't able to give your car it's real amount of full counter steer. If you could, you'd be able to take your favorite turn at a higher speed !

Now just think about that for a minute. Then tell me again that you haven't been limited.

Sorry, I’ve thought about it and I’m telling you again, it still hasn't limited my drifting at all. If you are in opposite lock you are slowing down a lot, fast drifts have very, very small angles or they occur before the corner in the form of a braking drift, which requires little to no counter steer, so your statement

"What dictates this speed? Your amount of counter steer… "

Is completely true, but in the complete opposite sense that you meant it. The more you counter steer the slower you go. Drifts that require lots of counter steer are slow, so you get more counter steer when you need it. If you feel that you need more counter steer, well… then you have either made a mistake, or you have the wheel set in simulation mode.

I guess if you could have full opposite lock at all speeds maybe you could get a little more angle to your drift but again this would slow you down. It really would not make much of a difference on high speed turn since you can't have very high angle drifts, thus very little counter steer, since you won’t make it around the corner in one single drift unless you e-break it all the way around, but then you won’t really be moving at the exit.

Have you seen Gran dorifto 1 and 2? Have you seen Opposite Lock (the movie I made)? Do those drifts look limited? Well I don't think they do, they look like the drifts in real life, better in fact since you don't have to worry about dieing or ruining your car.

Well, think about that for a minute or two.

Originally posted by TruenoAE86
Sorry, I’ve thought about it and I’m telling you again, it still hasn't limited my drifting at all. If you are in opposite lock you are slowing down a lot, fast drifts have very, very small angles or they occur before the corner in the form of a braking drift, which requires little to no counter steer, so your statement

"What dictates this speed? Your amount of counter steer… "

Is completely true, but in the complete opposite sense that you meant it. The more you counter steer the slower you go. Drifts that require lots of counter steer are slow, so you get more counter steer when you need it. If you feel that you need more counter steer, well… then you have either made a mistake, or you have the wheel set in simulation mode.

I guess if you could have full opposite lock at all speeds maybe you could get a little more angle to your drift but again this would slow you down. It really would not make much of a difference on high speed turn since you can't have very high angle drifts, thus very little counter steer, since you won’t make it around the corner in one single drift unless you e-break it all the way around, but then you won’t really be moving at the exit.

Have you seen Gran dorifto 1 and 2? Have you seen Opposite Lock (the movie I made)? Do those drifts look limited? Well I don't think they do, they look like the drifts in real life, better in fact since you don't have to worry about dieing or ruining your car.

Well, think about that for a minute or two.

w00t, we got one pretty good drifter in this forum :)

completely true. to start off, do yu watch initial d? they talk about how countersteering slows down the car when it's trying to drift. if yu think about it, countersteering is the factor that changes the amolunt of power that yu need in order to drift. if yu don't countersteer, that's like race drifting. although it may not be interesting, it makes the car go faster in real life. my vid that i'm making has a part where the car doesn't countersteer and it's going 100 MPH. if i countersteered, then i would have to balance my throttle position and my countersteer, which would make me go around 80 mph instead of 100 mph. try it, yu'll find out. i'll post pics wit me 4WD drifting [which yu don't countersteer at all]

i wished i saved the replay, but then i wouldn't have been able to grab so much footage with just one lap :)

i hope it's easy to see it, but i'm not countersteering at all

note: yu don't see the wheel outside of the wheel well :)

edit: they won't show up, so i'll just attach it in the next posts ^^

here's one:

Attachments

• zzii.1.jpg
    zzii.1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 314
Back