GT4 BMW 1 Series Virtual Drive demo not working...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Majarvis
  • 22 comments
  • 1,233 views

Majarvis

(Banned)
Messages
1,423
Okay, I did search, of course, but everr thread I came upon started going off in a tangent about something else.
So, I got the BMW demo on eBay, and it's PAL, obviously. I have SwapMagic 3.3, but it keeps coming up "Not a valid PS2 disc." I have never used SM before in my life, so is there something that I'm doing wrong? Or do I need the SlideCard?
Thanks :)
 
Majarvis
Okay, I did search, of course, but everr thread I came upon started going off in a tangent about something else.
So, I got the BMW demo on eBay, and it's PAL, obviously. I have SwapMagic 3.3, but it keeps coming up "Not a valid PS2 disc." I have never used SM before in my life, so is there something that I'm doing wrong? Or do I need the SlideCard?
Thanks :)

I'll assume your PS2 is the north amaerican NTSC model, right? If so it won't work, ever. You need a PAL PS2. The swap discs will only bypass the loader allowing you to load non region cds/DVD (i.e. - NTSC/NTSC-J...etc)

Also I remember reading that swap discs will not load dual layer DVDs. So if you have a PAL PS2, then this might be your issue.
 
kensei
I'll assume your PS2 is the north amaerican NTSC model, right? If so it won't work, ever.
Yep, I have an NTSC PS2 (Canada afterall) But.. WTF? I'm not doubting you, but I was told that SwapMagic discs play imports and backups! This doesn't seem right...
 
Does the SwapMagic disc claim it can play European imports? It may just be referring to Japanese imports, which is what the majority of users play. And Japan uses NTSC just like the US/Canada, so all it has to do is cheat the Region Coding. I think there are very few European exclusives that are popular in the U.S., I don't think there's a lot of importing going that way.
 
Damnit, I just wasted a crap load of money on Prologue and the BMW demo then :(
 
I think you just need a mod chip, but I don't know cause I've never tried playing a import or "backup" game
 
Isn't there a pal to ntsc converter thingy somewhere? Do a search on that one in the BMW demo thread, maybe it'll help you.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
Should've gotten the Japanese Prologue.. hehe. As for the demo, your best bet would be to get the latest Japanese demo, assuming you have a DVD burner or HDLoader.
 
the Interceptor
Isn't there a pal to ntsc converter thingy somewhere? Do a search on that one in the BMW demo thread, maybe it'll help you.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
Thanks, I'll check :)
 
Cool. Ill give you some money for it if thats the case 👍
 
I have an NTSCJ PS2 and it plays all region games including PAL.....and have the PAL BMW Demo and it plays fine...and more reciently PAL GTA SA works.....

But.....its modchiped.....so if you are willing to pay for one, I think its a good investment in the long run though.....

....and if you can't get it working.....don't worry, you not missing a HUGE amount, I got bored with it after like playing 5 times.

:) 👍
 
Majarvis, I succesfully converted my demo, (even after removing the time limit), to NTSC, and it works fine. It zooms in the image a little bit but it's perfectley centertered :dopey: . I think I was the member the Interceptor was referring to from the original BMW demo thread.

ps2_pal2ntsc or ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix is the program I used and so you don't have to search...
 

Attachments

Majarvis
Yep, I have an NTSC PS2 (Canada afterall) But.. WTF? I'm not doubting you, but I was told that SwapMagic discs play imports and backups! This doesn't seem right...

You need a PAL ps2 to play PAL games. Swap discs are just loaders allowing you to play games not from your region or burned backups. A NTSC swap disc will not load a PAL game, period.

Now if you had a PAL PS2 you would need a PAL TV as well. You could get a converter for the signal if you had a PAL PS2 and a NTSC TV but a PAL game will not play on a NTSC PS2, period!


What you wanted to play on your north american NTSC PS2 was;
-Swap magic discs v3.2 (you have those)
-NTSC-J version of prolouge (not the Euro release PAL)

I don't think the BMW demo ever was released in NTSC (was it?), so you are screwed there. But there are PAL to NTSC converters out there, but you would need a DVD burner and knowledge as to burning .ISOs.

You should researched this more. No were does it say RE: swap discs that it will play PAL CDs/DVDs. It plays imports yes...but NTSC imports.


----
That being said I have an old PS2 and live in the USA. I own and play GT4 prolouge and the new GT4demo (time limit removed), both NTSC-J and all I use are the swap magic discs...so I know they work when you have the right stuff.
 
vtecsolkid
Majarvis, I succesfully converted my demo, (even after removing the time limit), to NTSC, and it works fine. It zooms in the image a little bit but it's perfectley centertered :dopey: . I think I was the member the Interceptor was referring to from the original BMW demo thread.

ps2_pal2ntsc or ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix is the program I used and so you don't have to search...
Yeah that's it, thanks for posting it here again! 👍

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
vtecsolkid
Majarvis, I succesfully converted my demo, (even after removing the time limit), to NTSC, and it works fine. It zooms in the image a little bit but it's perfectley centertered :dopey: . I think I was the member the Interceptor was referring to from the original BMW demo thread.

ps2_pal2ntsc or ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix is the program I used and so you don't have to search...
Wicked, thanks I will try it later!

And yeah I agree Kensei, I guess I just didn't read something, oh well...
 
kensei
You need a PAL ps2 to play PAL games. Swap discs are just loaders allowing you to play games not from your region or burned backups. A NTSC swap disc will not load a PAL game, period.
My PAL PS2 does play NTSC games though. Now I don't know exactly about these things, but I assumed it might be possible to play a PAL game on a NTSC PS2 then. If you can't ... well, nevermind.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
the Interceptor
My PAL PS2 does play NTSC games though. Now I don't know exactly about these things, but I assumed it might be possible to play a PAL game on a NTSC PS2 then. If you can't ... well, nevermind.

Cheers,
the Interceptor

hmm...didn't know that. I have never gotten PAL games to play on my NTSC ps2....then again I don't have the converter for the signal anyway, but I know the swap discs don't load PAL games, either original discs or burned copies.
 
Majarvis
Okay, I did search, of course, but everr thread I came upon started going off in a tangent about something else.
So, I got the BMW demo on eBay, and it's PAL, obviously. I have SwapMagic 3.3, but it keeps coming up "Not a valid PS2 disc." I have never used SM before in my life, so is there something that I'm doing wrong? Or do I need the SlideCard?
Thanks :)
Could be you're not using the SM right. You can't hit the eject button. You need to force the tray out to swap the discs, then force the tray back in and re-lock it. You'll either need the slide card or you might be able to do it with leet pocket knife skillz.
 
I have a BMW demo that I bought on ebay from the UK, original copy. I have tried everything I can think of to make my NTSC PS2 load it. I use the swap discs and a flip top, I play both GT4p/GT4demo NTSC-J with no issues.

I don't think it will work....if it does I'd be curious to know how you did it.
 
Swap Magic 2 here, (or is it 2.2 (I'd have to check later)), take out the time limit, apply the converter, and (in Madden's voice) BOOM! (already back out of the Madden voice guys ), you're rock'n the 1 series :p which I quite admire by the way 👍
 
I just found this, didn't know you could do this...but with an Action Replay Max it looks like you can play PAL games on a PS2...link here. I just bought a ARmax over the weekend, I'll give this a try myself.
 
Back