GT4 DRIFT my summary

Hi guys,

I have been drifting real cars for last 2 years, and have had 2 drift cars, 180sx and r32 gtst skyline, so you could say i understand how to use drift.

I also have been playing LIVE FOR SPEED for last 4-5 years and would consider myself "a good drifter"

I also play any other race sim's, and would consider myself a race sim enthusiast, don't get me wrong, I'm saying this so ppl may trust my thoughts on GT4 drifting.

I have owned GT4 for sevral years now, and have recently tried seriously to practice / master drift in this game..

I have watched alot of video clips and some are very impressive. But it almost seems your all trying TO hard. Drift is correctable, if you take a slightly wrong line, you can correct it via your inputs, ...unlike GT4.

In GT4 you must only drift low angles, if angle is too deep, more countersteer to provent SLEDGE flings the car back agressivley, I have tried other setups and technique but low angles are the only safe way to drift.

you cant be heavy with the throttle!, in my 180sx i often have my foot pinned to the floor, deep with the rpm's just needing to use my counter steer to do the work.

Now i see alot of ppl have complained about donuts and etc,

If you rev a car up with high LSD differential settings, release brake and turn the car drives in a circle, as if the LSD was failing and ONE wheel was spinning. Now this is shocking for a REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR, and if it does that how can you trust the physics of the car while drifting.

The throw-in types in GT4 are nice, braking methods, feint, weight shifting, over-power all good, but the moment you break traction all turns to crap.

Its a RACE sim game. It has Awesome physics for racing and i love racing for hours on end, setting my cars up etc with good times.

I felt GT3 had MUCH more realistic IN DRIFT feel, although sloppy moving from side to side (heavy like) the hard throttle and counter-steer is accurate.

Truth is if your good at GT4 drift, your wasting your time and skill into something unrealistic, but by all means your all welcome to do whatever you like.

A well setup car in real life is very easy to drift, you can off throttle with a lock-diff for sometimes 2 seconds, while the de-accel holds you in your drift.. TRY THAT ON GT4, even with high deaccel, the moment you off throttle in GT4 drift the wheels regain traction and you go where your front wheels were pointing from counter steer.

My conclusion

GT4 is unrealistic for drifting, EXELENT race simulator.

If you want the best of both try Live for speed, if it wins awards for BEST PHYISC'S OF THE YEAR then Id certainly trust it.

p.s drifting in live for speed is similar to real drift. and is no way nearly as hard is GT4. My friends in real life that i met through the drift scene tried Live for speed and straight away could drift it, they were amazed and all bought G25's and the game to practice! hows that!

good luck, and keep wasting your time on GT4 drift

Last edited:
GT4 drifting was a bit weird...
You could use a AE86 with R3/R2's and own grip sports cars lol

To some extent, true GT4 drifting is rubbish...

Thats why we are drifting in GT5P???

I think alot of people know this already..though its cheaper through GT4 because most of us don't have the money to do it in IRL . I can easily do it in my S13 though I am worried about vital parts that would cost me more than thirty seconds ( or more)worth of Fun. but I stopped DRifting in games generally.

It depends what car you have, try this https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72878&page=17 .. you can off the throttle and it'll keep drifting for quite some time.

You need too have quite a bit of speed to countersteer and off throttle in GT4. Also, if the wheels are spinning madly, then when you go off throttle the car will obviously whip into the oppisite direction, you need to steer back into the direction of the road as you go off the throttle, or just take it about halfway off, then you'll keep drifting.

I mostly drive on gravel roads, and I use this technique all the time in my subaru and hi-lux.

i know this isn't that new, but i agree with the original posters assumption. Gt4 does suck for drifting. It does not act in a real life manner. I drift my 240sx when it allows me to. The idea and concept in driftin in gt4 is good, but the actually physics and tire/grip mechanics are horrible. I also drift Live For Speed and it's the most realistic feel so far to the real thing, and Gt5p is not that far behind. Gt5p does do a MUCH better job with drifting physics, and tire grip. I did want to get my copy of gt4 i have at a friends house to give it another go since i have improved, and now have a g25. I was able to pull off drifts, but it was nowhere near as controllable as in real life. The throttle inputs had to be EXACT, it was very hard to maintain that slight level of GRIP to keep the car propelling/pushing foward through the drift. It was very easy to over-power the tires, and have the engine banging off the rev-limiter which does nothing for you. :guilty:

I see it hasn't told you it's name yet. You should listen closely one of these days. If you don't you won't even achieve shikai, let alone bankai. ;)

What he probably means is when the car feels right.

I could easily power over my 240sx but I don't do it because I can afford new tires and probably a new engine ( suspension, Drive train).

The fact that GT4 drifting isn't accurate has been well-documented. We all know about it here. It ain't impossible, tho, and those that do manage to drift consistently well in GT4 are the true Gods of drifting.

How does your 240sx allow you to drift when it wants to?

I have a special button, labeled "Drift" just hit it and i'm automatically sideways by the auto-pilot.

What i meant was when money allows it just like you said. Tires aren't cheap. I'm more worried about the engine and drive-train(although i never really hear of drive-shafts or axels breaking, usually transmission or engine), tires are much easier to replace, but i'm mostly stock Sr20det so doesn't put too much strain, and i try not to be on the rev-limiter. I'm waiting to get a daily driver so it can be my "Drift/track" car only so i can go all out, and not have to worry about getting to work the next day :nervous:.

If you guys are serious into drifting, Live For speed with the cheat-o-matic (steering lock mod) and the hack/patch for more power, it is the most fun and realistic feeling physics for drifting and driving in general (with G25, clutch and shifting works like a real car). I just wish they had more cars, and "Real" cars like silvias, ae86's, soarers etc. and real tracks. Although some of the auto-cross layouts people have made to resemble the D1 layouts are lots of fun. It's my cheap, and fun drift experience. :)👍

Back