GT4 Intro Translation?

• Thread starter Tompie913
  • 25 comments
United States
Pittsburgh, PA
Tompie913
One thing about the GT4 intro which I just thought of recently is the meaning of the vocals at the beginning, which is the same in all versions. I don't think it's just made up nonsense, but then what is it? I reckon it's probably Japanese, possibly Italian. Anyone have any ideas or happen to know?

isnt is a gospel choir? they are saying something...

God of war, Super Smash Bros Brawl, some many games have some choir in it.

Here's a great example i know of that has the singing and the translation of Brawl.

I actually went on a google search to answer this thread, to no avail. :( I couldn't even find a site which listed its lyrics, or provided any info about the language it's sung in.

My guess would be Italian or Latin. That's typically what operas are sung in, but who knows?

According to my GT4 refernce guide (i own NTSC-J),the lyrics are in italian.

""Moon Over The Castle" Orchestral Version
Composed by Mashahiro Andoh
Original Lyrics by Kazunori Yamauchi
Italian Translation and Text Setting:A lessandra Cattani & Ed Bogas
"

I actually went on a google search to answer this thread, to no avail. :( I couldn't even find a site which listed its lyrics, or provided any info about the language it's sung in.

Okay, I have a challenge. The music actually reminds me of the UEFA Champions League song for some reason. I'll put the PS2 onto my four 200w speakers and get to work.

Start time 1:50 am GMT

EDIT: wOW, THAT'S TOUGH. i CAN'T EVEN TELL IF IT'S lATIN OR iTALIAN, THOUGH i SUSPECT THE FORMER

reedit: capslockfail

RE-RE-EDIT: Holy crap, they have Mussorgsky in the soundtrack? Anyway, there's Lizst, Debussy, Mozart, Bach, Chopin (and Van Halen), few of whom are known for their operas. Moar searching.

*Double post cause I'm sick of editing*

GeeTeeR is correct. "Moon Over The Castle" Orchestral Version

Alright, first post in this thread after 11 Years, wow! :eek:. So basically, I also was looking for the lyrics for this amazing intro, and it lead to this thread, when then i gave up searching.
Recently to kill the nostalgia, i've listened in repeat the orchestral part of the GT4 Intro just for the chills and then i started to recognize some of the words; the lyrics are in fact in Italian, i'm no italian speaker, actually portuguese, but since both derivates from Latin some words have little variation of tone but still the same meaning to them; the part i recognized is before the lead female opera singer starts, when the GT40 is shown in the garage, its said: Per la velocità (for speed/for the speed) or Della Velocità (of speed) so indeed the lyrics has something to do with racing, well, yamauchi composed so of course.
So now i'm looking into trying to translate the whole thing

Last edited:
Alright, first post in this thread after 11 Years, wow! :eek:. So basically, I also was looking for the lyrics for this amazing intro, and it lead to this thread, when then i gave up searching.
Recently to kill the nostalgia, i've listened in repeat the orchestral part of the GT4 Intro just for the chills and then i started to recognize some of the words; the lyrics are in fact in Italian, i'm no italian speaker, actually portuguese, but since both derivates from Latin some words have little variation of tone but still the same meaning to them; the part i recognized is before the lead female opera singer starts, when the GT40 is shown in the garage, its said: Per la velocità (for speed/for the speed) or Della Velocità (of speed) so indeed the lyrics has something to do with racing, well, yamauchi composed so of course.
So now i'm looking into trying to translate the whole thing

Did ya do it? I've been searching for the lyrics for years, lol.

Sorry guys, I'm Italian but there is nothing understandable in the original version... Yet, often Italian people cannot understand opera singers since the opera pronunciation is for music not for understanding.
About the live performance, the choir just sings oh/ah (while original version had lyrics) and the soprano sings lyrics from medieval Dies Irae melody (nothing to do with original lyrics). This means that even the orchestra could not find the goods lyrics ;-)

Actually, as an Italian, i can (barely) understand few words even if some of them can be easily misunderstood.
The opening lyrics are "destati" which is repeated multiple times and means "wake up" , then speak about "gioia e sorriso" literally joy and smile but I'm not sure at all.
After that there are some word easily recognizable:
The mans choir sing "liberati" that means free your self and then the womans choir reply "fatti schiavo della velocità" literally get enslaved by speed
After that is really tough to understand any other words, but probably it end with "segui il tuo cuore"-"follow your heart".
I could probably have made up all that lyrics but if someone can confirm or even add other words it would be great.

I'm Italian too, and I literally never understand any of the words... I always thought that is Latin rather than Italian

It’s been almost 20 years since GT4 came out, and we are still looking for the lyrics… I will come back in 20 years to see if any of you guys managed to find them

I could try to isolate the vocals so you lot can have a go at translating it. It'll take a minute for me to do that, so hang tight.

I've had to apply compression to the audio in order to counter the fade in, but I think it turned out okay in the end. The link is here:

I found, in the depths of the internet, a more understandable version: https://hadouken.wordpress.com/2009/10/20/moon-over-the-castle-gran-turismo-4-games-in-concert-2/
Cristina Branco, a Portuguese singer, performs this song. The website says the lyrics are in Italian as well. As a Portuguese speaker I can say that it is definitely not Portuguese.Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/uyd3b5cjpc5k1h7/Moon_Over_The_Castle_%28Gran_Turismo_4%29.mp3/file
The lyrics are indeed in italian but they are different from the one sung in the orchestral version
They go from what i can hear : ~i ne scende que cantore lunare, gocce permette gelide scendon sopra il castello incantato belli due più che mai, incandescente ~ the letter i its used in poetry in place of grammar articles like li, le or gli in this case i think it stands for "Egli" He. But then the words after are a bit cloudy with their meaning, que isn't used like that usually but in that phrase could mean "that" that usually is written Quello, que it's poetry lenguage. Permette in italian means to allow, in poetry it rarely means to Entrust anyway here both make no sense. After that its pretty linear. The translation would be ~ he goes down that lunar singer, Icy Drops ?allow? descend over the enchanted castle beautiful two more than ever, Incandescent... ~

The lyrics are indeed in italian but they are different from the one sung in the orchestral version
They go from what i can hear : ~i ne scende que cantore lunare, gocce permette gelide scendon sopra il castello incantato belli due più che mai, incandescente ~ the letter i its used in poetry in place of grammar articles like li, le or gli in this case i think it stands for "Egli" He. But then the words after are a bit cloudy with their meaning, que isn't used like that usually but in that phrase could mean "that" that usually is written Quello, que it's poetry lenguage. Permette in italian means to allow, in poetry it rarely means to Entrust anyway here both make no sense. After that its pretty linear. The translation would be ~ he goes down that lunar singer, Icy Drops ?allow? descend over the enchanted castle beautiful two more than ever, Incandescent... ~
Really stupid question, but do you think you can listen to the lyrics that Anubia isolated and give a rough translation?

Really stupid question, but do you think you can listen to the lyrics that Anubia isolated and give a rough translation?
I tried several times and thats the reason i came here too but lyrical pronunciation makes no sense as it follows the music, i can make out a few words but for the majority of the words i'm as puzzled as you guys. The thing i know for a fact is that usually when going to such concert they give a sheet with the music and the lyrics to follow. I'll try to listen to it a few more times and then i'll do a rough translation.

I tried several times and thats the reason i came here too but lyrical pronunciation makes no sense as it follows the music, i can make out a few words but for the majority of the words i'm as puzzled as you guys. The thing i know for a fact is that usually when going to such concert they give a sheet with the music and the lyrics to follow. I'll try to listen to it a few more times and then i'll do a rough translation.
This is the geekiest and most satisfying conversation I have read in a long time :D Any chance you made progress on your translation Zoleron? :)

Back