GT4 Killed My Memory Card

United States
East Coast, USA
EnzoOwnerFEARME
So I boot up GT4 and go do a free-run at Apricot Hills Raceway reverse in my Z33 GT4 edition, looking for the smoke on some mountain. I exit out, go to my garage, and attempt to get into another car. A message pops up saying stuff about there being no data and asking if I want to retry. I do, but the message just pops up again. I take out GT4 and go to the home screen to check out my Memory Card (It's an official PS2 card.) I open it up, and find ALL OF MY DATA GONE. It says that the data is corrupted. All that's left is a bunch of blue cubes that take up 9 KB and have today's date or some random code on them. A whole load of data from various games is now gone, including GT3, GT4, and some others I spent an years on. The game and system are both NTSC-J and have worked fine for years. I was even playing GT3 earlier today. Can someone please help? If you have any questions just ask.

Update: So I looked around on the internet, and now I know there nothing I can do. This thread is free to be deleted.

Last edited:
It could very well be just the memory card that died on you. :/ Though i'm sorry to say I can't be of more help than moral support ^^'
Yeah I looked around on the internet, and it seems there's nothing I can do... At least I have an older save of GT3 on my other card.

Rest In Peace PS2 memory card..

Maybe GT4 just takes way too much of the PS2's power since GT4's game save size is like a cheat disc area of around 2000KB's. What have you last done to your memory card? Is the motherboard for it loose? Mine did that to me on my Max Memory Card, and it just died sadly.

GT4 uses the memory card constantly and writes a big chunk of it. When the game was new it was even theorized that the game used the memory card as a sort of RAM expansion since when it was so restricted when you didn't have one in and the fit it would throw if you took it out. Are you able to delete that corrupted data?

Adding on to what @Tornado said, flash memory devices have only a limited number of writes before they fail. GT4 writes to the card a lot. Additionally the cards are fairly early flash technology that can't handle as many writes as current devices do.

GT4 uses the memory card constantly and writes a big chunk of it. When the game was new it was even theorized that the game used the memory card as a sort of RAM expansion since when it was so restricted when you didn't have one in and the fit it would throw if you took it out. Are you able to delete that corrupted data?
Nope. The corrupted data can't be copied either

I had this with my savefile from 2007 some years ago. I always advise to save in a separate Memory Card, backup the save often and activate Restricted Saving instead of the standard auto-save (which by itself I always hated because it didnt allow me to experiment more cars that were better to me and such)

To think I didn't know about this back when my PS2 threw a hissy fit over GT4 with the red loading circle of death.

Back