GT4 PhotoMode Competition: Week 16 Poll

• Thread starter Slick6
  • 87 comments

Winner?

• [URL=http://img172.echo.cx/my.php?image=stang112dl.jpg][IMG]http://img172.echo.cx/img172/4313/stang1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [URL=http://img106.echo.cx/my.php?image=img005215bs.jpg][IMG]http://img106.echo.cx/img106/9467/img00

• [URL=http://img201.echo.cx/my.php?image=img00091tp.jpg][IMG]http://img201.echo.cx/img201/9431/img000

• [URL=http://img120.echo.cx/my.php?image=img04454rl.jpg][IMG]http://img120.echo.cx/img120/2023/img044

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep I don't understand why people reduce the size of their pics.

I always leave mine original or I just change the dimensions/framing.

Slick6
Wow. If only there were more people with your attitude Swissbear. 👍 The more I think about, I think things are running ok the way they are. I think right now is the most efficient and easiest way to do this thing. Two polls will definately not be considered because that's basically just like having one. I also think that this is being taken a little too far. I wish I had a little more power to keep everyone in line. But until then, if I see anyone make any rude or uncalled for comments, I will take appropiate action. The first time may be a warning from me, but the second will be from a super moderator.

BRAVO!! BRAVO!!! After all this is your show Slick6. :)

I have question, on the BMW shot, what is the white part at the bottom? The road? Did it came out white because you highly satured it whoever is the author?

Div is back
Yep I don't understand why people reduce the size of their pics.

I always leave mine original or I just change the dimensions/framing.

I don't understand why people like to have them full size! If you wanna see the whole pic, it looks crappy, but if you want to see it in proper resolustion, you cant see the whole picture! So I always crop mine down so that you can easily view the entire image. Not to argue with you or anything, but that is why I like to resize them.

Slick6
Wow. If only there were more people with your attitude Swissbear. 👍 The more I think about, I think things are running ok the way they are. I think right now is the most efficient and easiest way to do this thing. Two polls will definately not be considered because that's basically just like having one. I also think that this is being taken a little too far. I wish I had a little more power to keep everyone in line. But until then, if I see anyone make any rude or uncalled for comments, I will take appropiate action. The first time may be a warning from me, but the second will be from a super moderator.

Yes it's efficient this way. The rules are also clear, and since it's the same rules for everyone it's fair. It's just that for the people not getting into top 20 there's no feedback. They don't know if they were #21 or the last, and what people other than the previous winner thought. Anybody who posts pics here has put some effort in it and they definately would like to know what others think. It's a no-brainer really. People always want feedback about their work, especially if it's something "artistic".

I think there is a solution to this. As it is now thw "honourable mentions" have no actual role, it's just an opportunity to show some your other work in the "official" thread, right? What if you would ask competitors to use the imageshacks rating system and rate the honourable mentions? Like a rule of thumb: if you click the thumbnail then rate the picture! This would not be a competition, just something you do as a courtesy to fellow competitors, and you would get your picture rated in return. Of course if you want to compare your ratings to others you can do it too, but there would be no official winner or anything. I don't mean that people need to spend lot of time thinking what's the correct number for each photo if they don't want to, just click on the number that feels right, fast and simple.

This would have no effect on the competition. The reason not to allow rating the final entrys is that it would be like a second (or actually first) round of voting and as such would not be a good idea. Also it would put the person who chooses the top 20 in a pretty impossible situation. So the competition would go on as before, to find the best pictures, and the HM's would be for feedback to all competitors.

One thing you would need to change though, for this to work people would have to choose their final entries when they first post the pictures, if not this would get confusing. Other than that this would be no effort for the organizers except that you would need to write this rating thing in the official rules in some way to encourage people to do this. Official support is needed, that is if you think this is a good idea.

So this was my two cents. Any comments appreciated. :)

It would be nice if there was a way for us to independantly rate each entry as they are submitted, with the top 20 then going into the final poll.

This could be done by using the imageshack rating process. However while it sounds a good idea, it would be open to abuse unless it can be restricted to forum members, such as a single poll vote button on each entry. But even this would not be truly fair as it would disadvantage late entries.

A word of advice to those who are upset at not making the top 20 - Don't expect to get in and then you won't be disappointed when you don't :)

Yes, thats why I suggested it would be used for pictures not in the official competition. If it was part of the competition it would be too easy to abuse, yes.
I don't think late entries are a problem.

My post about the 2 polls wasn't mean to be taken offensively. For a moment it sounded good but now that i've given it some thought i realize that it would just bring more problems.

I hope Jordan can somehow implement the feature that prevents us from seeing the poll results untill after the competition or after you have voted. It happens very often that people are affected by seeing the results so far and they vote for the same photo just because it's already winning.

For the rest i am happy with how the competition is going now. I actually like the system that the previous winner gets to pick the Top 20. The dislike for this came from people who didn't get chosen for a couple of weeks straight while they were told that their photo was very good. I understand why you would get upset but you should realize that getting upset won't do anything except get you a bad rep.

Keep up the good work everyone and especially you Slick6. 👍

GTChamp2003
I hope Jordan can somehow implement the feature that prevents us from seeing the poll results untill after the competition or after you have voted. It happens very often that people are affected by seeing the results so far and they vote for the same photo just because it's already winning.
I've thought about that plenty of times.

Seeing the results beforehand affects people.

It would be so much better (and fun) if we couldn't see the results until the end. 👍

This week is the first time that I have entered a photo mode competition. Looking at the entries in the top 20 there are some that didn’t make it that I would have picked, and some that did that I would not have picked. Images are subjective to each individual, and I am sure this is similar situation for most people most weeks. There is nothing wrong with that, and even less that you can do to change it, unless you include every entry in the poll.

As someone else has already pointed out feedback is very important. Perhaps the when the person who sets the theme could add a comment against each entry as to why it did or did not get selected for the top 20. You may disagree with their opinion, especially of your own image didn’t get selected. However you would be able to understand what they were looking for and what did or did not appeal to the person in selecting their top 20 images.

The present format is clearly the best way to go. Once you win a competition you can pick a theme. Clearly you have a certain idea in mind when you think up a theme. Then you are able to pick from all the entries and find the 20 that you think best represent your theme. Why take that away from the winner? He would then think up the theme and watch it all go to waste when he can't pick the 20 that he likes.

The shot of the CTR on what looks like El Capitan is awesome. :drool:
Whoever that was, congrats, ya got my vote.

One thing for sure, the winner announces theme with a brief description and you don't know what he/she looks for in a picture when they select the Top 20.
If I ever win, other than deciding on a theme, I would explain how I would be judging the competition so that they would try their best to meet my objectives.

Sometimes it just luck to be selected and your experience may or may not help you.

From now on, whenever I submit my entry, I would request the members to rate my picture when they view it in full size so I can get my average. And from now on when I view an entry I would rate it without any hesitations.

Good luck to all!

Div is back
It ain't on snow...it's the road, it's highly satured and brighten.

Would'nt that be breaking the rules? You are not allowed to mess around with the saturation are you? Just wondering...

I don't think saturation would have much effect on a B&W image. With full exposure in GT4 that shot wouldn't need much contrast or brightness added to get it where it is now, nothing wrong with that.

Snow on Deep Forest, now that would be interesting! :D

Back