GT5 2.09 Fuel Calculation Bug

  • Thread starter Thread starter WRP001
  • 13 comments
  • 1,831 views

WRP001

GTP Race Admin
Staff Emeritus
Messages
11,908
United States
California
Messages
GTP_WRP001
We ran a WRS-Online race today using the new "Fast" tire wear/fuel consumption setting for the first time. While pitting the system recommends the wrong amount of fuel to finish the race. :scared: It appears as if the formula is using "normal" fuel consumption rate to figure out how much fuel you need so if you follow the recommended amount you'll come up well short.

So if you use the "Fast" setting for a race it's a good idea to do the calculations yourself. You might be OK doubling what the system recommends, but not 100% sure.

Turns out everyone except one person was caught off guard in our race and either had to pit an extra time to add fuel or ran out of fuel before the end of the race. :boggled:
 
Thanks my friend, good information to know.
 
Was just in a room where the same thing happened to me except the tire wear was set to normal. I had 13 laps on daytona to go and i was using the new c7 vette. I pitted and it said i only needed 7 more liters to finish. 7 Laps later, i found myself putting around the course at a nice 50mph :rolleyes:
 
I got burnt by this in my league race last weekend. We set fuel burn to fast, driving GT500 cars.
I pitted on lap 12/27 (Tokyo) and it recommended 7L, I put in 30L and ran out at the start of lap 26. Best to do the calculations yourself.
Also, when the fuel gauge went from blue to red, I only got about 20sec before it ran out
 
Yea, definitely never use the recommended amount... I always do my own calculations.

Pre-race, simply run a certain amount of laps, enter the pits to find how much fuel you used, and divide that number by the amount of laps you ran (don't forget the out-lap). That will give you a liter per lap calculation, so when you run the race you'll know exactly how much fuel you'll need overall and you'll never add too much.
 
Yea, definitely never use the recommended amount... I always do my own calculations.

Pre-race, simply run a certain amount of laps, enter the pits to find how much fuel you used, and divide that number by the amount of laps you ran (don't forget the out-lap). That will give you a liter per lap calculation, so when you run the race you'll know exactly how much fuel you'll need overall and you'll never add too much.

Always good to calculate yourself what you are doing, but the game used to work just fine and the estimates were good give or take a few liters. I would always add a couple just to be safe. But now it's *way* off so you can't rely on it at all.
 
We ran a WRS-Online race today using the new "Fast" tire wear/fuel consumption setting for the first time. While pitting the system recommends the wrong amount of fuel to finish the race. :scared: It appears as if the formula is using "normal" fuel consumption rate to figure out how much fuel you need so if you follow the recommended amount you'll come up well short.

So if you use the "Fast" setting for a race it's a good idea to do the calculations yourself. You might be OK doubling what the system recommends, but not 100% sure.

Turns out everyone except one person was caught off guard in our race and either had to pit an extra time to add fuel or ran out of fuel before the end of the race. :boggled:

Man I thought I was going crazy. I think this bug is offline also. I was doing my normal 11Lap Break-in A-Spec 1 Make Race at SSRX. After starting Lap5 I ran out of gas right at the exit of Pit Lane, so obviously I turn around and putt back to Pit Entrance at 49MPH(I'm not about to drive 18+Mi. at 49MPH) So when I get to my Pit the "Crew Chief" Says I need 27L. I'm sitting there like Dude! I just ran out of gas after 4 Laps! So I fill it up and I was able to make it half way around Lap11 and ran out again.

So first run 4Laps
Second run 6Laps
And a DUMB Crew Chief Recommending 27L

The calculator is completely messed up. I run full throttle so how can I use 2 less laps of gas. 27L:dunce:
 
I had this running Red Bull's at SSRX. Burned up 89 litres in 1 lap, recommended 8 for the next lap.
 
That fuel recommendation has always been crappy. I have lost many good finishes to accidentally trusting it, now I will do the calculations myself every single time.

Sometimes when I'm nearly out of fuel with a few laps to go, it still recommends 0. :odd:
 
It's happened to me too :grumpy: I unfortunately hit the done button before I added a fuel amount & therefore had to pit an extra time. Why can't we pit for fuel & then hit a button to end refueling like we had in previous GT's ?
 
- Is there an easy way to calculate this? (I'm really bad at math.)
 
- Is there an easy way to calculate this? (I'm really bad at math.)

There is, basically every car has a 100-liter tank and there are markers at the half and quarter points. If you keep an eye on your fuel every now and then, you can easily get an impression on how much to refill. It would help you a lot if you knew the answer for these:

- How many laps can I do with a quarter tank?
- How many laps can I do with half a tank?

If you're using up half the tank in, say, 20 laps, with the full race distance being 60 laps and tires can go for 20 laps, you'll want to put in about 25 liters (maybe more just in case) on both pitstops to keep you in the game.
 
- Is there an easy way to calculate this? (I'm really bad at math.)

I posted instructions for calculating fuel mileage in this thread. Just remember that all cars have a 100liter tank and you'll be good to go.
 
I always calculate the per lap fuel consumption prior to the race. In free run do at least 8-10 laps and then pit and see how much fuel is required to completely fill the tank (the max amount it will allow you add). Then divide that by the number of laps you ran in that stint. There is a bit of rounding error and some variation from lap to lap based on your driving so it's not accurate to just go out and run one or two laps. The more laps you do the more accurate the estimate. Ideally, you want to run at race pace or as close as possible -- i.e. simulate race conditions.

Once you do that, then knowing you start with 100L you can compute the rest based on the length of the race.

A few other tips that will help with strategy:
  • You get 15L free on a pit stop as it takes that long to change tires
  • Every incremental liter after 15L will cost you an extra 0.6 seconds in the pits. (see this post for the calculation)
  • Usually the car is faster when it's lighter (less fuel) so if you are running a race with multiple stops required you might want to add less fuel on the first stop (all else equal although consider track position too), but never less than the free 15L. Optimally, you add just enough fuel to get you to the next pit stop or 15L whichever is less.

In the WRS we often run 2.4 hour enduros (like this running this week end) which are not based on an exact lap count, but finish when the first car passes the start/finish line after 2:24:00 on the clock. These races are often multiple classes so it gets really tricky to calculate fuel as you don't actually know for certain how many laps you are going to need. You have to make some decision on the fly near the end of the race and there are usually a few blunders. I've seen the GT class win lost on the last lap when the leader had to pit for 3 extra liters. :lol: In any case, if in doubt add extra, it's way to painful to pit again or get stuck at 80MPH without fuel.
 
Back