GT5 - 24h Le Mans

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zarathustra
  • 20 comments
  • 6,564 views
Messages
27
Messages
garamicin
I wonder if anyone goes mad when thinking that we could have this after exhausting 24 hours of a-spec racing:



I mean, the final lap, that kind of emotion, flags all over the circuit, track marshals. In gt4 you just had some planes flying over at the start of the race, when the timer reached 24h nothing special happened, you just crossed the line and that was all. Wasn't it a little disappointing for you? Certainly it was for me!

Come on, PD: it's the Circuit de la Sarthe, it's the greatest race of all time, it has a history, and everything.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
i couldnt care less to be honest with you, but please dont kill me for my opinion....
 
Just put the video ID in between the youtube tags.

I did the 24 Hours of Le Mans in GT4 the way it should be done, in my opinion, in one non-stop 24 hour session, with driving shared by myself and three friends. We'd do a two hour shift before handing off to the next driver. We spent about half of Saturday setting up our Panoz until we had a setup that worked for each of our driving styles, and then at about 2 in the afternoon we started the race.

The scene in my living room when the 24 hours was up with us in first was similar to what it's like for the team at the end of the real race. Lots of cheering, high-fives, a couple hugs and copious consumption of celebratory libations.

Doing the 24 hours in real time with a group of friends is a really fantastic experience, if you can get the people together to do it, you really should.
 
well I'm sorry, but if I had posted this in your thread nobody would have answered. Like you said, that was 6 months ago.
 
I think it would be nice if somehow PD made that happen, but there are so many more basic things that need to be done to improve what was the 24 hours experience in GT4 (day/night cycle ... random weather ... ability to save in the pits ... many more cars ... at least two classes racing at the same time, just to name a few) that I'm not really worried with this "end race" experience. I'm worried about everything else and about the fact that I didn't hear or read anything about all those - much more essential - features.
 
I think it would be nice if somehow PD made that happen, but there are so many more basic things that need to be done to improve what was the 24 hours experience in GT4 (day/night cycle ... random weather ... ability to save in the pits ... many more cars ... at least two classes racing at the same time, just to name a few) that I'm not really worried with this "end race" experience. I'm worried about everything else and about the fact that I didn't hear or read anything about all those - much more essential - features.

Totally agree, imagine the role damage will play when you total your car halfway through the race in a moment of lost concentration in the middle of the night.
Although it would be nice, like icing on a cake, that when you do ( or if you do ) finally finish this gruelling event it would be slightly less clinical than the average events.
Not all bells and whistles, but maybe a short auto-generated replay of highlights and a commemorating plaque or cup which you could show in the main menu as a badge of honour.
All very irrelevant ofcourse, the main thing is getting the basics right and making the experience enjoyable and memorable in itself.
 
That would be awesome. I'd just lock myself in my room with a cooler full of energy drinks, lots of junk food, something to take a piss in, and maybe some eye drops. :P
 
How about the 24 hours of Lemans ONLINE. That would fun, but to get more people to play it, just make it the 24 minutes of Lemans.
 
Just put the video ID in between the youtube tags.

I did the 24 Hours of Le Mans in GT4 the way it should be done, in my opinion, in one non-stop 24 hour session, with driving shared by myself and three friends. We'd do a two hour shift before handing off to the next driver. We spent about half of Saturday setting up our Panoz until we had a setup that worked for each of our driving styles, and then at about 2 in the afternoon we started the race.

The scene in my living room when the 24 hours was up with us in first was similar to what it's like for the team at the end of the real race. Lots of cheering, high-fives, a couple hugs and copious consumption of celebratory libations.

Doing the 24 hours in real time with a group of friends is a really fantastic experience, if you can get the people together to do it, you really should.

I've been trying to get some of my friends practicing with Prologue and the G27 so that when it comes time we can do the 24hr. This wil surely be one of my favorite things to do in GT. And i agree with all you say, it just wouldnt seem right without all the ending emotion. Even for races like the Nur 24hr, Sebring 12hr (if its in), Spa 24hr (if its in), and many more. Even if they just took your car to the podium after a parade lap (either driven or replay) with tons of cheering and flag waving after a normal race (well one that takes a bit more than 30-45 mins) it would make me feel much more accomplished.
 
How about the 24 hours of Lemans ONLINE. That would fun, but to get more people to play it, just make it the 24 minutes of Lemans.

:lol: ^^ Agreed, 24 min is enough to get 7 to 9 laps at Le Sarthe with Prototype race cars which is enough. When I was playing GT4 I got tired after 15 or so laps and just hand it over to B spec Bob, who won my first F1 car :). I sure am gonna miss that driver, hope he comes back in GT5 with new features. Save point is all I need in GT5 24hr Le mans to get the most out of it in A spec. and it can squeeze a lot of gameplay time just like an RPG!
 
I mean, the final lap, that kind of emotion, flags all over the circuit, track marshals. In gt4 you just had some planes flying over at the start of the race, when the timer reached 24h nothing special happened, you just crossed the line and that was all. Wasn't it a little disappointing for you? Certainly it was for me!
Surely the whole point of finishing the race is for your own personal enjoyment, gratification, and bragging rights? Otherwise, why bother? If you did it because you expected a spectacle at the end...
 
yeh i wouldent mind a closing lap also i would love a warm up lap
i wouldent mind an old style run to the car sort of thing eather
 
yeh i wouldent mind a closing lap also i would love a warm up lap
i wouldent mind an old style run to the car sort of thing eather

The old style run was banned long ago IRL out of safety reasons, imagine it being replicated in GT5 for an online 24 hour race and due to poor connection you would be stuck halfway running to your car and being run over by the entire field. :lol:
 
The old style run was banned long ago IRL out of safety reasons, imagine it being replicated in GT5 for an online 24 hour race and due to poor connection you would be stuck halfway running to your car and being run over by the entire field. :lol:

Yeah, but you'd get the best frozen spectator view yet :lol: !
 
How about the 24 hours of Lemans ONLINE. That would fun, but to get more people to play it, just make it the 24 minutes of Lemans.

I would rather have the 2.4 hours at Le Mans, this would be similar to what they do at iRacing during the 24h at Daytona and Sebring.
 
Surely the whole point of finishing the race is for your own personal enjoyment, gratification, and bragging rights? Otherwise, why bother? If you did it because you expected a spectacle at the end...

It would have been nice though. I remember after doing one myself, it just started that little victory jingle as if i'd won a 2 lap race in the sunday cup.

Another thing, there is a countdown timer at the end of the race before it auto-exits. This meant I did not see how many laps behind my rivals were, because they never crossed the line. :indiff:

You have a 24 hour race and you don't even get to see the full race results, its pathetic. Especially with 16 cars in GT5 I expect to be able to.

How about the 24 hours of Lemans ONLINE. That would fun, but to get more people to play it, just make it the 24 minutes of Lemans.

Honestly? Some of the online races in prologue are as long as that.

I agree with the guy who said 2.4 hours, that makes more sense.

Besides, isn't there 24 hour races in games like LFS where you are part of an online team, where you each do stints? I can't imagine anyone sitting for an online race for 24 hours straight.

Just think, 16 cars. Now if the teams each had 4 people taking turns in stints, there would be 16*4=64 participants in the race. Thats pretty darn good.
 
I've mentioned this somewhere before and not sure it is even possible both technically or even for organising reasons ( finding people who are both able/available/trustworthy, etc. ) but it would be nice to have 3 or 4 people in different time zones around the world who could take turns in the same car.
There are probably a lot of implications or complications to this suggestion i've not thought of but i think it would be a nice idea.
And you could possibly have one A.I. driver taking over when something goes wrong, or someone doesn't show up.
 
I would rather have the 2.4 hours at Le Mans, this would be similar to what they do at iRacing during the 24h at Daytona and Sebring.

It would be awesome, the duration of the race would be well balanced enough to gather many players, also, you can do the splits too, like building your own race clan and racing an entire championship with some mates, or all by yourself. 👍 Nice idea.
 
Yes it seems that many sporting games overlook the championship celebrations, i remember playing so many Hockey games full season just to see them usher the cup into our hands but all we got was a little screen with a generic Stanley Cup.

Its something so "insignificant" to a driving simulator but it will add so much depth to it and the immersion factor, just to have "fans" and the pits go wild, the podium and champagne being popped. Ahhhh dreams.
 
Back