Gt5 'almost' kills ps3

  • Thread starter Thread starter danipren
  • 20 comments
  • 2,492 views
Messages
19
Messages
ratz2009
Sorry if the name is a bit misleading, this is more to do with the recent bad online service well i just wanted to share my bad experience.

I made some new Gt5 friends in Compo and Bigreddag etc. and they decided to do a sort of mini endurance race, which of course i was well up for.

The race was 70 laps around Cote in the Cappuccino RM no tuning limits.

The race starts anyway and as it goes on he podium changes constantly due to pit etc but around lap 63 i began to pull out a lead due to an early pit at the beginning of the race. My lead increases over the next few laps up to 30 sec ahead.

So lap 68 out of 70 last just about to hit the last bend 30 sec ahead and..................... DISCONNECTED

Luckily it was only me that got disconnected compo in second place automatically becomes first and takes the victory 1.3 million in prize.

Now i said almost killed my ps3 because i as going ballistic very nearly sentenced my PS to the chopping block.

well that's my ranting and raving over. Any one else experience this? it has kinda put me off long online races, looks like PD's fix done a wonderful job :crazy:
 
I've went through 2 PS3s since it's been out.. I only play GT5.
I have my PS3 in anopen air area and everything. Disc Drives go boom.
 
One thing a friend of mine did way back in Nintendo days was to take inch inch thick bottle tops - and stick them under the rubber feet of the base of the (insert game console name).

This lets air get under the machine and keeps the console temperature lower -

I've had the same PS3 for GT5 - worked perfectly - save for when it locked up after being on constantly for an Enduro race (24hours) but that was just a freeze. It worked fine after.

Now at least you can save in an Enduro and let the poor PS3 cool down.
 
I've still got the same fatty from Prologue's launch, 0 problems.
 
Yes I have been disconnected several times but never near the end of an online endurance race. That's awful, sorry to hear it, and good to know you did not kill your console because of an online network problem.

Slightly off-topic: yes consoles wear out, break down and fail, but generally the PS3 is a pretty reliable machine if it is taken care of. There are many ways to keep it clean, cool and in good condition, ways that a surprising number of users don't know about. Such as the reverse fan operation which cleans out some internal dust accumulation. Other things like lens cleaning, proper ventilation (as mentioned above), and using a dust cover when not in use will all add up to a longer life. I know my HDD will eventually go out which is why I keep a monthly calendar reminder to backup my game saves onto a flash drive and then transfer to my computer hard drive as well as an external hard drive. Yes it's redundant, but I backup my computer files anyway and it only takes an extra minute to save days or weeks worth of game progress.
 
Ryk
One thing a friend of mine did way back in Nintendo days was to take inch inch thick bottle tops - and stick them under the rubber feet of the base of the (insert game console name).

This lets air get under the machine and keeps the console temperature lower

Since the PS3 cracked my wooden shelf im using similar solution and it really helped. And after playing i always let PS3 to cooldown in XMB menu for at least 15 minutes. Kinda like a turbocharger :D
 
playstation are as hard as nails imo, only 3 weakpoints the thermal compound the laser and the clips holding the blu ray ribbon cable in place i have a good 9 or 10 around the place 1 fully working 1 with a bad laser and the rest are for experiments 3 of which were killed off by gt5 but as said above (using ps to write this so to long to check names) just keep ventilated. back on topic the gt5 network is appauling compared to other games. i have a friend that we lived only a few doors away but since release we have never been able to play together online opened ports, changed providers, moved house twice (not for that reason of course) and still not able.
 
I did a 100 lap race online before and I didn't have any problems with my ps3
 
MOTORTRENDmitch
I've went through 2 PS3s since it's been out.. I only play GT5.
I have my PS3 in anopen air area and everything. Disc Drives go boom.

Beat you, i'm on my 3rd! Broken blu-ray and YLOD.

Got it on a laptop stand now which has 4 rubber feet about an inch high with a built in fan, the cost?... £1 from the pound shop!
 
Beat you, i'm on my 3rd! Broken blu-ray and YLOD.

Got it on a laptop stand now which has 4 rubber feet about an inch high with a built in fan, the cost?... £1 from the pound shop!

I have one as well, elevated on blocks to provide better circulation. I also have a small fan that helps pull the warm air away from the system.

I used to Remote Race for 2-3 days in a row.
 
I have one as well, elevated on blocks to provide better circulation. I also have a small fan that helps pull the warm air away from the system.

I used to Remote Race for 2-3 days in a row.

PSBalls of steel.
 
I've had my PS3 since 2008, the 80 gig fatty (backwards compatible with PS2 games ;) ) and I've had weird hard resets here and there, but typically it runs okay.

PS3 doesn't have the best processor in the world with something like 256mb of memory, and I think that might contribute to some if its clunky programming.

I also try to keep processing and files on the HDD to a minimum. I don't use the headsets or any other Bluetooth linked accessory other than the controller. I don't have very many games installed on my HD, I think two or three other than GT5. I don't store other things on it like PSP/Vista/PS1/PS2 game saves. And I don't like downloading games on the HDD at all.

I tried downloading and installing DC Universe Online (great game BTW) but it took up like 6 gigs of space and my PS3 was dying trying to process everything as I played. That's gotta be terrible for the processor. Ultimately files for DCUO eventually corrupted and the game started crashing my PS3 like crazy and about this time GT5 also started acting up... so I decided to delete DCUO off my HDD and to never download a big budget game ever again.

PS3 is a wonderous system but still a computer, a very meager one at that. Right next to my PS3 is my Alienware X51 and its several times the machine but still susceptible to lag or even crashing if I run too many things at once - and that's a computer with 8 gig of ram and 1 TB of space to work with and a GTX 555... dumb that down to 256 memory/video and 80 gig, and you got a computer that's probably struggling to do anything which is the reason why it can only do 1 thing at a time.

But thats how I view it, not a techy or anything.

So I try to keep everyhing to a minimum on PS3, I don't keep hardly anything on it. No movies, no MP3s, no videos, no photos, no DLed PS1/PS2 games, I only use 1 bluetooth accessory (the controller), I don't stream anything. I typicallly only play games on my PS3 and nothing else - unless I'm watching a blue ray movie. Everything else I leave up to my PC which is right next to it on a seperate monitor.
 
GT5 killed my launch 60GB PS3, 2 weeks after the game came out it overheated and died.
 
I have my PS3 sitting on 4 prescription drug bottle caps. I use servo tape from my remote control cars to hold them to the PS3. I also have a small fan blowing from the front to the back of the PS3.
 
I've went through 2 PS3s since it's been out.. I only play GT5.
I have my PS3 in anopen air area and everything. Disc Drives go boom.

I also have had 2 PS3's die

they were both the old 80gb fatties. the backwards compatible ones

they had just 1 laser to handle BR/dvd/ps ps2 so they didnt last as long. think i got about 2 years out of each of them

Had the slim for about a year now, no problems. I dont think GT5 is any more of a system hog than any other game. Keep in mind consumer electronics are built with the cheapest components possible and assembled in similar fashion
 
The orginal slim -model has the occasional voltage proble, but other than that i think these are pretty realiable piece of work. Just keep them out on the open to prevent overheatin in closure. Currently I have mine in a drawer but i have one of those tilted usb powered laptop cooler fan -thingys under it.
 
I've went through 2 PS3s since it's been out.. I only play GT5.
I have my PS3 in anopen air area and everything. Disc Drives go boom.

I've had my PS3 since GT5 came out, and have played mostly GT5 since GT5 came out as well. I've owned both since GT5 came out. Never even had a sign that anything is wrong with it.
 
Reminds me of the GT5 ate my hamster thread I created back in the day.

It got locked BTW.
 
Back