GT5 and retirees

  • Thread starter Thread starter nojoke48
  • 15 comments
  • 2,193 views
Messages
53
Messages
NoJoke48
As a 62 yr. old retiree I have lots of time on my hand to play especially since there's no good reason to go outside in 11 degree weather.

I'm at A = 26, B = 27. Only 2 license tests away from my Super license (why are they not being utilized for race entry levels?). Having problems with the Rally special events and trying to figure out if I really want to do the endurance races on Spec A?

How do do buget your time when playing? I'm taking breaks every hour or every 20 laps and pausing when doing endurance races and since I have a core of 3 Spec B drivers in the mid 20's I can let them drive overnight while I sleep.

Another idea I read about and will try is using lesser powered cars to to the different races I already have won and make them more challenging and exciting. Also I'm slowly collecting all the 17 RM cars and modding them completely, using them and ranking them as to their performance.

My wife as reconciled herself to the fact that I'm smitten by the game so will ask me two things: 1) "are you racing?" before she asks me to do a chore and 2) "can you keep the volume down?"

What are your strategies and race protocols. Incidentally, I'm not racing online yet since I'm waiting for the GT Academy time trial period to be over. I'm in the Northeast region. I'm curious to see how bad I really am LOL

Alex
 
BTW, I'm still looking for the Formula Gran Turismo. Have any of you found it and/or purchased it yet?
 
Yea, I got the FGT by cycling through licenses b-2 thru b-6 since they load fairly fast, then checked the used car dealer.
I did the the Tsukuba 4hr a-spec in one sitting, bwahsha!... I was bored on the weekend.

For the rally events, since you are meant to slide, make sure you take off the aids that prevent sliding(like everything off except TCS 1), i found doing snow rally a better introductory. It is all about refined movement and using slides in a controlled fashion to attack corners faster than you would on Tarmac and get a quick exit.
 
BTW, I'm still looking for the Formula Gran Turismo. Have any of you found it and/or purchased it yet?
I've got 6 million in the bank, and have been waiting for about a week for it to pop up!
 
Just got my FGT last night using the license test method (quickest way to cycle days is using the "Next" button to go between license tests you've already passed). The Formula GT races will keep you busy for a WHILE.
 
For the rally special events, I used the Ford RS200 for the dirt and ice. On the advanced set I was able to pass the 3 cars in front of me while getting 2 wall penalties. You'll find it in the used lot. Basically just find a Group-B rally car from the 80's. For the road race I use the Seven Fireblade.

Some information on the group B :sly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmQdCpnFFo
 
I myself try to pick a car that is slightly outmatched by the field to race in, the only problem you have to worry about is the random fast car they seem to put in. If I make my car competitive with the field in the GT Championship, sometimes they will put in a Ford GT, which handles better and has more then 100hp on the rest of the field. So basically a car you cannot catch, if you are already racing your ass off to stay ahead of the 'normal' participants.
 
BTW, I'm still looking for the Formula Gran Turismo. Have any of you found it and/or purchased it yet?

Fianlly got it using the license test method. Is the only color blue?
 
Wow you live right near me! I am in Whitestone right over the Whitestone bridge! You're a pretty cool retiree! haha

When you said 11 degree weather I knew you were local because that's how much it was this morn! I played until 4am last night.
 
Fianlly got it using the license test method. Is the only color blue?

I have blue too, and I read somewhere (and also experienced first hand) that used cars are only ever the same colour, but someone else might have a different colour to you (besides the FGT, apparently) so if you find a blue one it's likely you'll only ever find blue ones, if you do actually happen to find another.
 
is it really only to find in blue?!!
 
As of this writing, I'm spending more time training new drivers in the B spec endurance races. By giving them faster but easier handling cars and teaming them up with 1 more experienced driver (level 27) I find that they bump up fairly quickly in XP points.

I don't know about you guys but I'm getting to like the strategy and training aspects of B spec. If you treat it like real racing e.g. not racing a F1 car aginst cars in the 350 hp class, then you get a better sense of the real joys of racing, team strategy, tuning, and fair play.

A lot of the complaints are from players who are not competing with other cars of a similar level. Yes it might seem boring, but real racing requires patience, mental fortitude, focus, and believe it or not physical fitness too.

If I remember correctly, in that last GT race academy the participants were put through some physical training before they did any actual driving?

Alex
 
Well the physical fitness of the driver is important especially in extremely fast cars where they are bodily fighting Multiple G's while they maneuver corners at high speeds as their weight is fluctuating through every corner, acceleration, and brake.

As well as crashing in a normal road car at 100 km/h can cause over 50 G's.

Infact, that is one of the things that makes the X-1 Prototype so ridiculous of a car. Accelerating through a tight corner would be like experiencing space shuttle launch.
 
Back