GT5 can take some ideas from iracing

  • Thread starter Thread starter Uscbryan
  • 20 comments
  • 1,967 views
Messages
331
Messages
Usc_trojan949
After getting into iRacing the last 2 weeks I think there are some things they do that would make GT5 online racing more enjoyable for those of us who are into the racing aspect of GT5.

One would be a monthly fee for those that want to do this portion of the online racing. I think when you are paying monthly you are a little more serious and that would reduce the chances of getting people that like to drive the wrong way on the track.

And second would be a reputation rating or safety rating as iRacing refers to it. The more laps you do with crashing or going off the track the higher your rating. You lose rating for crashing or losing control.

Then they could have different levels of racing. You could only race certain races and certain cars depending on your rating.

They can still have the normal free no rules racing online they have now but for those willing to pay a little extra a month to get cleaner racing I think this would be a great way of doing it.
 
Not a really nice idea.

There should be the reputation rating and then let the players with more than X reputation join the server, without having to pay a monthly fee for nothing, then it's a great idea.

Ofcourse it should be made only with crashes into other players and such, since I wouldn't like to get a low rating just because I was drifting.
 
Except that you can have clean racing already, by inviting people you trust to race cleanly via your own lobby.
 
Sounds good, but I think there are better solutions than needing to pay for that service. Taking just the ranking system would work, but if someone wrecks into you then it must still count negatively to your ranking...

The money part of it though... The way online is at the moment, would you REALLY be happy paying for that service? And also whilst its effective at weeding out the jokers and the idiots, you will still get collisions... Plus you lose some people who will just not have the money to pay for their racing, kids under 16 for instance who begged mummy and daddy for a PS3 and GT5 and got one for xmas... I race with someone (not in GT5, simulators) who is 14 and doesn't pay for it himself, but my god he is a consistently quick racer!

I don't venture online really, I went online for the first time a week ago to take part in some karting... I don't know if it is the same for all cars but it drove so differently to offline.... Was still getting used to it at the end of the 30 mins I spent on it! As a result though it meant I did have a few collisions with people.... just progress I guess, I didn't know how to apologize either :dunce: but I did let them back through after.
 
I have had 10x better races on GT than iRacing just by searching for "No skid recovery" and not letting people use boost.

The cars are more exciting in GT5, the races are close and mixed in class, the tracks are fun. If anything GT5 can take the better netcode and prediction code from iRacing but other than that GT5 has the best online experience in my opinion. I have had more fun online in GT5 than ever in iRacing, iRacing was stressful due to SR and iR, GT5 its just about the driving.

I absolutely hate the safety rating btw, getting hit by other cars caused your SR to drop significantly and it was a PITA to get back up, the most stressful online racing I ever had was on iRacing.

On top of all those issues I stated, racing is a contact sport at times, and getting a 2x or 4x for contact bumping side by side is stupid, I am sorry, but I hated that. In GT5 we are going into turns 2 wide bumping into eachother racing to the finish, its fantastic. In iRacing everyone is so focused on not hurting their SR they are afraid to race.

Also, racing games online need as many people filling servers as possible. If you started splitting the community by not letting people in the game because they need to earn their SR it would just piss people off and make them want to quit, not because they are dirty, but because they cant just join any good car server. Its hard enough to find a good server with the proper restrictions, put an SR on it and you might as well kill the community all together because not everyone would always meet all the car requirements + SR.

I am soooo thankful they do not have an SR system, I cringe just thinking about it. Also, when I make a mistake and spin off course, I am mad enough already, I want to win, I want to do well, I don't want to get punished for spinning out after losing is punishment enough. SR is just dumb all together imo.
 
Last edited:
I tried iRacing and agree with the above post totally.

But the most annoying thing for me which I was sure came from the pay subsciption model was the elitism.
 
I agree with the original post. An iRacing style safety rating system would be great implemented in GT5 online.
 
They need to put vote kicking.
 
I agree with the original post. An iRacing style safety rating system would be great implemented in GT5 online.

Do you really think PD could get something like that right? They don't even have a standard penalty system to speak of for corner cutting.
 
This isn't taking away from what is there. It's just adding something for those that want to take it to different level. I don't see where the elitism comes into play. It's not forcing people to play. If you can't afford it, that is part of life but you still have the normal GT5. When I first started iRacing I posted here saying what's the big deal about it. GT5 is so much "prettier" now two weeks into it and I haven't played GT5 except to let Bob do the 24 hr races. The racing is very clean. People aren't bouncing off each other and moving on like nothing happens. I agree you can find good races on GT5. I race with a group that is clean for the most part. But I like the way you advance and get demoted in iRacing. It's a constant challenge not just to win but to get promoted and keeping it.
 
Do you really think PD could get something like that right? They don't even have a standard penalty system to speak of for corner cutting.

Yes they do! It depends whether or not the host of the room sets penalties on or off. :odd:


After getting into iRacing the last 2 weeks I think there are some things they do that would make GT5 online racing more enjoyable for those of us who are into the racing aspect of GT5.

One would be a monthly fee for those that want to do this portion of the online racing. I think when you are paying monthly you are a little more serious and that would reduce the chances of getting people that like to drive the wrong way on the track.

Naw. I got enough "monthly fees" in my life. The solution to this problem is to get a GTP tag. Race amongst those who race cleanly all the time, if you want to.

Personally, I kinda like the public rooms, tho. I like the challenge of dealing with total :censored:holes. Showing them up if I can.

And second would be a reputation rating or safety rating as iRacing refers to it. The more laps you do with crashing or going off the track the higher your rating. You lose rating for crashing or losing control.

👍 I like this idea 👍 Only prob is that penalties are also given if somebody slams into YOU. PD would have to fix this so that it's one-way....the hitter gets the penalty instead of the hittee...and there should't be a "rubbing" penalty at all. Only penalties for extreme slams and punts.


Then they could have different levels of racing. You could only race certain races and certain cars depending on your rating.

They can still have the normal free no rules racing online they have now but for those willing to pay a little extra a month to get cleaner racing I think this would be a great way of doing it.

...
 
Last edited:
After getting into iRacing the last 2 weeks I think there are some things they do that would make GT5 online racing more enjoyable for those of us who are into the racing aspect of GT5.

One would be a monthly fee for those that want to do this portion of the online racing. I think when you are paying monthly you are a little more serious and that would reduce the chances of getting people that like to drive the wrong way on the track.

And second would be a reputation rating or safety rating as iRacing refers to it. The more laps you do with crashing or going off the track the higher your rating. You lose rating for crashing or losing control.

Then they could have different levels of racing. You could only race certain races and certain cars depending on your rating.

They can still have the normal free no rules racing online they have now but for those willing to pay a little extra a month to get cleaner racing I think this would be a great way of doing it.

former iRacing iracer here! :)
love the game, but I resigned due to lack of time, price (a small factor), and more importantly my PC had a catastrophic mental and physical breakdown (too cheap/lazy/busy to replace my desktop PC atm).
:)

monthly fee? I think this would work in theory, but probably not in practice. The price point required to reach benefits of only allowing good/decent pilots would be high imho

reputation and safety rating? good idea if this could or would be implemented (I am not a comp coder) in GT5. And some type of filter ability where the host will only pilots with a certain rating levels to join his race (e.g. if GT5 had a safety rating is scale of 1 (poor) - 100 (good) the online host can choose option to only allow pilots to join his race if their SR is 85 or higher).

Different levels of racing based on RP and SR? I would rather have open races to all. I would like to see any person use any car if it is tied to their RP and SR.

great ideas! Yes, GT could learn a lot from iRacing!!
the pessimistic part of me has taken over and I do not believe that we will ever see anything as good as you suggest in GT series.
:guilty:
 
I agree it is stressful. But so is real racing. And yes you lose safety rating when somebody else hits you. In real racing you lose your car or maybe your life. Just because you didnt cause it doesn't mean there are no consequences for it. And it makes you a better driver. Alot of those accidents not caused by you could have been avoided by you which is part of real racing.

It would just make gt5 that much more a sim IMO.

I have had 10x better races on GT than iRacing just by searching for "No skid recovery" and not letting people use boost.

The cars are more exciting in GT5, the races are close and mixed in class, the tracks are fun. If anything GT5 can take the better netcode and prediction code from iRacing but other than that GT5 has the best online experience in my opinion. I have had more fun online in GT5 than ever in iRacing, iRacing was stressful due to SR and iR, GT5 its just about the driving.

I absolutely hate the safety rating btw, getting hit by other cars caused your SR to drop significantly and it was a PITA to get back up, the most stressful online racing I ever had was on iRacing.

On top of all those issues I stated, racing is a contact sport at times, and getting a 2x or 4x for contact bumping side by side is stupid, I am sorry, but I hated that. In GT5 we are going into turns 2 wide bumping into eachother racing to the finish, its fantastic. In iRacing everyone is so focused on not hurting their SR they are afraid to race.

Also, racing games online need as many people filling servers as possible. If you started splitting the community by not letting people in the game because they need to earn their SR it would just piss people off and make them want to quit, not because they are dirty, but because they cant just join any good car server. Its hard enough to find a good server with the proper restrictions, put an SR on it and you might as well kill the community all together because not everyone would always meet all the car requirements + SR.

I am soooo thankful they do not have an SR system, I cringe just thinking about it. Also, when I make a mistake and spin off course, I am mad enough already, I want to win, I want to do well, I don't want to get punished for spinning out after losing is punishment enough. SR is just dumb all together imo.
 
I agree it is stressful. But so is real racing. And yes you lose safety rating when somebody else hits you. In real racing you lose your car or maybe your life. Just because you didnt cause it doesn't mean there are no consequences for it. And it makes you a better driver. Alot of those accidents not caused by you could have been avoided by you which is part of real racing.

It would just make gt5 that much more a sim IMO.

In real racing I am having a blast while trying to be safe. This isn't real racing we are all driving desk's, we don't need to stress out, we can relax and have fun. I want to be competitive but I don't want a big brother system punishing me when I get punted off the track or if I make an error and spin off into a barrier, its punishment enough that my race is done.

You are saying that you would like the real life stresses of real racing added into our simulation world and I don't agree one bit, let us relax and have a great time while doing some good racing.
 
You are still missing the point. It's not FORCED on you. If you want to "relax" when racing you stick with the regular GT5. I like the anxiety of the race. I spent a couple of grand on a wheel and seat because of the immersion. But GT5 can have it both ways. Besides I know it will never happen just putting the "what if" out there.

BTW your safety rating isn't destroyed because somebody hits you. And their rating is hurt as well so it usually not intentional. In most cases it isn't somebody just ramming you from behind. It mostly is they lose control in front if you and you take the risk of trying to get around them while they are out of control. Part of racing.
 
You are still missing the point. It's not FORCED on you. If you want to "relax" when racing you stick with the regular GT5. I like the anxiety of the race. I spent a couple of grand on a wheel and seat because of the immersion. But GT5 can have it both ways. Besides I know it will never happen just putting the "what if" out there.

BTW your safety rating isn't destroyed because somebody hits you. And their rating is hurt as well so it usually not intentional. In most cases it isn't somebody just ramming you from behind. It mostly is they lose control in front if you and you take the risk of trying to get around them while they are out of control. Part of racing.

When I had my pro license one incident would take about 4 clean races to recover from and it pissed me off tremendously. My fault or not I lost so much SR it was ridiculous. It wasn't fun anymore, I hated pushing the car because I knew if I cross the line and spun out it would take too long to recover my SR and when you hold a high license you don't want to go down at all. It was just too stressful. Crashing happens, if it looked intentional report it to Nim, don't dock my license. I get why you want an SR system but I think it would ruin GT5 because it would split the community and make it tough to find solid rooms.
 
I don't know if GT needs a system as far reaching as iRacing's is. But a system that recognized the amount of contact you were involved in and penalized you for too much would be ideal IMO.

Make it so that the system keeps count of first corner contact. Set a percentage high enough that some random "race incident" contact wouldn't affect you. But if the system see's you've ran 20 races and in 19 of them you were in involved in a first corner wreck then it could apply a penalty. Nothing too permanent. But enough to discourage the seemingly ever growing number of gamers that thinks it's their right to have fun by trying to do whatever they can to ruin others fun.
 
Uscbryan, it's all about the host. A good host usually monitors the lobby and repeats the code of conduct when new people join. He/she issues verbal warnings and ask the offending party to plead their case. If that person can't tone down the agressive behavior, the host kicks them.
 
You can pay a monthly fee, when you are racing in a league. That would be more clever than paying for racing online in general.

Leagues are made for serious racing, but not multiplayer at all.
 
you do know i paid $60 already?

And? Is that a lot of money for years of enjoyment? And again YOU still get what you have now. It would just be ADDED for those that want it.
 
Back