GT5 Drifting and Car Categories (A Brainstorm)

• Thread starter daltonlm
  • 22 comments

daltonlm

(Banned)
Lazy Liquid
After i see some threads complaining about the lack of matchable patterns for car picking, im proposing a coletive discussion of how to find standards and categorize the cars into them.

Before anyone tell that its impossible because everycar have numberless ways of tunning and also there is the human factor (a good drifter can extract miracles instead a bad drifter can ruin a performance even with the perfect car with the perfect setup), i insist that must be a way to find those standards and classifications.

If we do and if these patterns be embraced in large scale, the whole drifting community will be educated to know what weapon pull off in the right situations. Its important that this thread be built with many opinions, im not here to dictate no trend and the classifications must be accepted in common sense.

SPECIFICATIONS:

So far we have some basics to know where a car can fit, but we don´t know the variations of these specifications when applied at drifting.

PP: Points of Performance. Works very well at racing but not for drifting.
HP vs Weight: Power/weight is also a interesting rating baseline. But, specialy after the last update, people are using more ballast to find better weight distribuition. Also some cars performs better than what we see based on these numbers, and also the opposite.
Car Pedigree: Some people likes to select their cars based mostly on decade fabrication, region (japanese mostly)... but there is no balance inside these "tags", so its more esthetic than efficient.
Tire Compound: Sometimes i see people trying to match performance using diferent tires. But i ask for you keep with "Confort Hard" as standard, mostly because its what everyone uses and is the easier tire set to achieve the "perfect lines" at the most famous drift boxes in the game.

TASK PROPOSAL

Online drifting is based on mostly 2 things: Lines and speed. So my proposion for the task for category measures is find 2 tracks, one tight with sharp corners (AMR or Tsukuba) and another with High Speed Corners (Suzuka East).
The driver who desires to test his car and claim a category for it will must select an of these tracks and go to time trial. Its important to work for a perfect line as possible, preferentialy making all links correctly, instead use grip techniques for a hot lap.

So based on these times we can start to measure categories (something between 3 or 5 classes, where A is the top and E is the lower).

I pretend to edit the OP based in the discussion, of course if the community embrace the idea.

Online drifting is based on mostly 2 things: Lines and speed.
Definatley disagree with this, however if you give us some categories to place each car I can do a few off the top of my head. At the moment theres no cohesion so nobody can really categorise.

Definatley disagree with this, however if you give us some categories to place each car I can do a few off the top of my head. At the moment theres no cohesion so nobody can really categorise.

Please, specify your point of view of what things are based on online drifting performance.

Please, specify your point of view of what things are based on online drifting performance.

Line and angle, not speed as most drifters will agree. I was actually trying to be helpful but I cant be bothered now.

Could we really organize what car a person should use? What if the person takes a car and doesn't use it on the same tracks as you guys? For example, I would rather drift on Laguna Seca than Tsukuba. Like Driifter pointed out, I would choose angle and line than line and speed because of the corkscrew.

Could we really organize what car a person should use? What if the person takes a car and doesn't use it on the same tracks as you guys? For example, I would rather drift on Laguna Seca than Tsukuba. Like Driifter pointed out, I would choose angle and line than line and speed because of the corkscrew.

1 - This thread does not intent to dictate what people should use. Or, like you said, organize what people should use. Instead the "should use", i started the idea only to help people to find cars matchable in case of tandems, the main goal of online drifting. Its common sense that there is many more drifters here using high powered cars (or anything above 400hp) most of times only because they can´t figure what car can match with the others, so they try to build a car with a good mix of driftability and speed, because he will want to drift with other people, how is passing by the same issue. Just take the S13 as exemple, most skip the deep train with this car mostly because on tracks he cant still tandeming, due the diferent speed of the others.

2 - Angle and line X speed and line. Respectfully, ill have to explain why i said speed and line. Its obvious that angle is important for drifting, its the main tool, i agree. But angle, specialy when you are behind, its a tool for control your distance between you and your partner. What will make a correct line in tracks where you can drift the whole time (or most, excluding the main straight at Suzuka east) depends much more of right speed than extreme angles, and thats where some cars can complete a full lap drifting instead other cant. Again, angle is important, but for tandeming and constant drifting, speed and a correct line is even more. I could even say that the correct angles and speed makes the right lines, but without the optimal speed, extreme angles are useless.

3 - About the track selection for tasks. I don´t like none of the tracks i´ve suggested (im mostly at Trial Mountain Reverse, Deep Forest Reverse and my Mixed Trouble Custom), but again, its common sense that these tracks are referential for the GT5 drifting scene. Who don´t like those, probably its because its sick of so many times it was used. But they still really important for these Tasks. The only "nevertheless" i would suggest in Suzuka, was a speed limitation at the main straight, something around 90 mph (+/- 150kmh).

I have no idea what you're trying to achieve with this thread, but I disagree with a lot of what you've posted. It all seems rather confusing actually.

Also, you made up quite a few words that don't even exist, and for that, you get two thumbs up.

👍 👍

Edit: the only thing really needed to "match up" cars evenly is just tire restriction, and possibly horsepower, which are already very common caps in lobbies. Do as I do when I want close tandems, set the hp limit to 650 and tires to comfort hards, end of discussion.

Please be careful of double posting. If you forgot to add something be sure to hit the edit button. 👍

10 posts and so far no meanfull reply. Yep... sounds like the concept will not go nowhere. Let it dive then.

Thank you, Adavicro, nk4e, DrifterzZ and spank_ur_mom for the very constructive contribuitions.

If possible, can you actually go into an example within the quotations on how it looks like?

So based on these times we can start to measure categories (something between 3 or 5 classes, where A is the top and E is the lower).

i think three classes would suffice. and PP would be the most discerning of all qualities to judge by. i drift a lot of different cars and from personal experience i can tell you that a 300PP car has a hard time keeping up with a 500PP car in a tandem. even with skilled drivers behind the wheel of each.

If a table had to be made i would say:

A: >600PP
B: 400-599PP
C: <399PP

ie: most cars used for drifting would fall under that B class. including theh likes of the Trueno, FC, efini FD, Silvias, M3/5, Fairlady's, TVR's, Ferrari 512BB, etc...

C class would be for underpowered (or in most cases) classic FR cars that just arent that common. like the Izuzu Piazza, Old-school Alfas... you get the picture

A class will be reserved for supercars, exotics, or supertuned cars in general. for those that feel they need 500+ horsepower to slide around a corner

10 posts and so far no meanfull reply. Yep... sounds like the concept will not go nowhere. Let it dive then.

Thank you, Adavicro, nk4e, DrifterzZ and spank_ur_mom for the very constructive contribuitions.

Well my reply was meaningful. I stated that you were clearly wrong in that drifting is about speed, and then I offered to help you if you gave some actual categories.

Well my reply was meaningful. I stated that you were clearly wrong in that drifting is about speed, and then I offered to help you if you gave some actual categories.

So my answer was clear:

Angle and line X speed and line. Respectfully, ill have to explain why i said speed and line. Its obvious that angle is important for drifting, its the main tool, i agree. But angle, specialy when you are behind, its a tool for control your distance between you and your partner. What will make a correct line in tracks where you can drift the whole time (or most, excluding the main straight at Suzuka east) depends much more of right speed than extreme angles, and thats where some cars can complete a full lap drifting instead other cant. Again, angle is important, but for tandeming and constant drifting, speed and a correct line is even more. I could even say that the correct angles and speed makes the right lines, but without the optimal speed, extreme angles are useless.

In my opinion, your feedback is too much based in cars that can hold any angle at any speed to complete the right line, since it have enough HP. But when you drive a lower powered car, u wont have too much options about angle if you want to try the right line.

i think three classes would suffice. and PP would be the most discerning of all qualities to judge by. i drift a lot of different cars and from personal experience i can tell you that a 300PP car has a hard time keeping up with a 500PP car in a tandem. even with skilled drivers behind the wheel of each.

If a table had to be made i would say:

A: >600PP
B: 400-599PP
C: <399PP

ie: most cars used for drifting would fall under that B class. including theh likes of the Trueno, FC, efini FD, Silvias, M3/5, Fairlady's, TVR's, Ferrari 512BB, etc...

C class would be for underpowered (or in most cases) classic FR cars that just arent that common. like the Izuzu Piazza, Old-school Alfas... you get the picture

A class will be reserved for supercars, exotics, or supertuned cars in general. for those that feel they need 500+ horsepower to slide around a corner

Yeah, 3 classes sounds good, i could even imagine 4, but 3 is enough. But the selection based on PP is a classic handcap, and im trying to prove that its not accurated for drifting. Thats why i proposed the Task.

Try it yourself. Get two cars tuned for drifting and go to time trials, ie Tsukuba and achieve a fastest perfect drift line on each, then compare the times. If the discrepancy between times be too large and the PP be similar, then its proved that PP cant measure a car class.

Last edited:
But still your wrong. Even if you are falling behind in a tandem you wouldn't straighten up just to catch up. You wait for the other person to mess up or take a wider line when you can close the gap. No offence but you must have reall poor tandems if all your doing is trying to catch the person in front. And 'without speed, extreme angles are useless', do you actually know what a drift is?

But still your wrong. Even if you are falling behind in a tandem you wouldn't straighten up just to catch up. You wait for the other person to mess up or take a wider line when you can close the gap. No offence but you must have reall poor tandems if all your doing is trying to catch the person in front. And 'without speed, extreme angles are useless', do you actually know what a drift is?

Youre invited anyday of the week to drift with myself. Any car, any track. Lets have some fun instead prove who drift better in a verbal way.

Maybe im didnt explained in a didatic way or youre really stupid to get it, but i NEVER said to cut the slide for the catch up, but yes to decrease the angle. Besides, i contempt drifers who stop to drift and use grip techniques to catch up someone.

And about the "without speed, extreme angles are useless", i said that to clarify that depending the car, for a perfect line you can achieve with lower angles and higher speed, but can´t do the same with higher angles and lower speed? Understand now or do i need to draw?

U know what?
Your contribuition to the thread is zero so far. So if you don´t want to help in the thread direction, save ur toes and just don´t type.

I quit of this thread. Let it dive or lock it. Ill make this classification alone and for my own.

Last edited:
Youre invited anyday of the week to drift with myself. Any car, any track. Lets have some fun instead prove who drift better in a verbal way.

Maybe im didnt explained in a didatic way or youre really stupid to get it, but i NEVER said to cut the slide for the catch up, but yes to decrease the angle. Besides, i contempt drifers who stop to drift and use grip techniques to catch up someone.

And about the "without speed, extreme angles are useless", i said that to clarify that depending the car, for a perfect line you can achieve with lower angles and higher speed, but can´t do the same with higher angles and lower speed? Understand now or do i need to draw?

U know what?
Your contribuition to the thread is zero so far. So if you don´t want to help in the thread direction, save ur toes and just don´t type.

I quit of this thread. Let it dive or lock it. Ill make this classification alone and for my own.

I'm not saying im better at drifting than you, this isnt what the arguments about at all so I dont no why you said that. I still disagree with all that you said as drifting is about angle and line, nothing else. Speed doesn't even come into it, if it did then there would be flood of people listing cars for each category on how fast they are but no one has because no one sets up their drift car for speed. You said your self this thread is a fail so let it die.

The way I see it is, the setup governs angle, but the cars raw data governs base speed. So SPEED is what we should do this with really.

There seem to be 3 classes, with obvious "imbetween" cars.

Fast:
RX7 Spirit R is fast, Viper SRT10 is fast, and there are a good few other cars that are fast as well. Like the Vette's.

then you have the middle class :

350z 370z etc etc etc Cant think right now xD

And the slow class:

S15, S15RM, efini RX7 FD, RX7 FC etc etc etc

The RX8 is imbetween fast and middle speed really I think, and others will be too.

Obviously setups can change the list completly, but from my experiance with these cars , this list so far... Is correct.

The way I see it is, the setup governs angle, but the cars raw data governs base speed. So SPEED is what we should do this with really.

There seem to be 3 classes, with obvious "imbetween" cars.

Fast:
RX7 Spirit R is fast, Viper SRT10 is fast, and there are a good few other cars that are fast as well. Like the Vette's.

then you have the middle class :

350z 370z etc etc etc Cant think right now xD

And the slow class:

S15, S15RM, efini RX7 FD, RX7 FC etc etc etc

The RX8 is imbetween fast and middle speed really I think, and others will be too.

Obviously setups can change the list completly, but from my experiance with these cars , this list so far... Is correct.

^^^ This, would have put them in the exact same order.

In my experience the fastest car is the Rx-7 Spirit R even when it's completely outclassed in terms of PP and BHP it can keep up.

I can sort of see what OP is getting too, but it really won't ever work. If you want it to work then you'd have to base it on the time it takes for a specific car to drift around a corner, but then those results would be dodgy as everyone drifts differently. PP classes could work but then you could face the problem of one car performing the best for drifting within it's class.

Also like Welsh stated, we've got to take peoples setups on their cars into consideration, which will only make this task harder.

Back