GT5 GPS Track Program/Track Editor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zuel
  • 21 comments
  • 4,416 views

Zuel

United Sports Car Champ
(Banned)
Messages
2,095
United States
Burke, Fairfax,
Messages
GTP_STRIKER
Messages
Xbox SUCKS
With the new additions of the uploading your GPS track data and the possibility of a track builder. Would it be possible that the track editor would get information from the GPS log to build new tracks? ALL THOSE TRACK THAT AREN’T IN GT5, THE ONE’S WE WISH WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE LAST GT’S. We can put in the track library.
 
Would I have to buy a real race car, enrol at the track and drive the track to do this? If the answer is yes forget it.
 
Would I have to buy a real race car, enrol at the track and drive the track to do this? If the answer is yes forget it.

What if circuit owners could rent the equipment?
 
What if circuit owners could rent the equipment?

Then I suppose the circuit owners could play their tracks on their consoles. Also topography if that's the right word, comes into play. Track width would be hard to calculate without covering all track surface. I know what the op is suggesting and it would be excellent. Don't know if the tech exists though.
 
GPS is mainly for positioning a certain point and the data from driving on an existing real life track is then translated to the same track in GT5 by that data logger device or something like that for all i understand, but please correct me if i'm wrong.

To fully recreate a real life track including the landscape on which it is based and all the elevation changes and dimensions ( not only the ideal driving line ) of that circuit you'll probably need different satellite imagery or data.
Plus you need a comprehensive program to implement all that data into the game, a.k.a. recreating the existing track.

Plus if a track editor is included, it will probably be a segment of a city ( Rome/ London/ Madrid, etc. ) already fully recreated on which you choose the path on which to race by blocking roads/entries with barriers beforehand.
And maybe some sort of free roam function to determine which roads you choose.
 
Last edited:
Then I suppose the circuit owners could play their tracks on their consoles. Also topography if that's the right word, comes into play. Track width would be hard to calculate without covering all track surface. I know what the op is suggesting and it would be excellent. Don't know if the tech exists though.

Drive slowly around the track twice, at each side of the track with a gps recorder like the thing Sony showed in the toyota?
 
Drive slowly around the track twice, at each side of the track with a gps recorder like the thing Sony showed in the toyota?

I'm sure I read it takes alot of tome to create a track 12 months or something. Driving round a track twice would sure save time.
 
I'm sure I read it takes alot of tome to create a track 12 months or something. Driving round a track twice would sure save time.

While I'm not being entirely serious, I am suggesting that would give data of the outline of the circuit that modellers and artists could work off.
 
With the current GPS data loggers, everything from elevations and pitch can be measured on the track so I don’t’ think it would be too much of a big deal to create a track.
 
Isn't there a thread about this already?

I don't know, you tell us...................

I think so, but i am not sure
Enough already children.

On topic, I'm sure that most (real) tracks are already partly built up from GPS data anyway, so I fail to see how using the data logger would be any different. It's not like you just need GPS data and that's the end of it, not if you want a track that looks like the real location. However, if all you wanted was a generic track with repeating textures that could be rendered from the raw GPS data, maybe with some procedurally rendered trackside scenery, I'm sure that would be feasible (but not simple, like Zuel seems to think).
 
GPS data can be used. But surveying equipment is whats used to map everything including undulations and is accurate to the millimeter. It all depends on how far apart you take measurements.
 
Enough already children.

On topic, I'm sure that most (real) tracks are already partly built up from GPS data anyway, so I fail to see how using the data logger would be any different. It's not like you just need GPS data and that's the end of it, not if you want a track that looks like the real location. However, if all you wanted was a generic track with repeating textures that could be rendered from the raw GPS data, maybe with some procedurally rendered trackside scenery, I'm sure that would be feasible (but not simple, like Zuel seems to think).


Nothing is simple, what planet are you on, I hope EARTH. If not I want a first class ticket to your planet I'll have a better time there. I just stated that it could be possible to do. Not saying to have the whole area of the track to detail but the basic layout of the track.
 
Why would it have to be a race track? If I could log data in my own car, then I should be able to a drive around the lake by my house, and build a track in the editor from that.

Another GPS feature I would like to see, is data from official races, so I can race against a real world field.

Add wi-fi to that, and do it real time too. ^^
 
Last edited:
Actually, this isn't too far fetched. However I doubt it would appear in GT5.

It might work a little something like this:

  • Manually log the GPS positions to a pre-defined resolution (say every metre or so, for absolute best results) and it stores elevation and relative position at each point.
  • Import data sequentially into the track editor, and the track surface "spline" (or whatever) is computed and displayed in 3D.
  • Choose from a selection of preset background themes (e.g. Toscana, Eifel mountains, the alps etc.)
  • Set the track width at every node of the spline, and add barriers, trackside dirt and grass, rocks etc. dynamically via node flags.
  • Manipulate the surrounding relief according to a low-res height-map, or similar, to correspond to the scenery in-situ.
  • Add a few static objects in at key places (density of these is limited to ensure smooth running).
  • et voilá! Instant circuit (or point-to-point) based on your own data.
  • This data can be uploaded to the database, and could be of the order of a few MiB maximum - ideally a few hundred k.


It might not look exactly like the real-life place in question, but it should drive fairly similarly. :D
Of course, you could make something completely from your own imagination, but most real-life roads are interesting to drive on, so it's a quick cheat :p
 
I'd just want to create my own track, if I was able to add trees, backround, barriers ect.
 
Why would it have to be a race track? If I could log data in my own car, then I should be able to a drive around the lake by my house, and build a track in the editor from that.

Another GPS feature I would like to see, is data from official races, so I can race against a real world field.

Add wi-fi to that, and do it real time too. ^^

That would be awsome if you had a live feed from the race and could actually compete against them in real time, apart from having the tracks/cars programed in im sure this is fairly possible really.
 
It just occured to me.. maybe the rumoured GT5 track editor will simply be there to let you write your own graffiti on the surface of the Nordschleife... quick and easy.. no GPS required :D
 
Guys why couldn't they use the gps system to drive around the track twice, once on each side and have cammera's taking pamoramic views. With some compute program couldn't they use the distance between the two points of the race track and the difference in pictures from each to make the track landscape.
Yes I know it wouldn't be perfect. If you went off road they the landscape might get patchy however solving this would take considerably less developers time than modeling the whole track. Plus the landscape would be photorealistic.

What do you guys think of the idea.
 
Sorry double post. I lost internet connection when I clicked the submit post button and when I got the conection back it had posted it twice for some reason.
 
Last edited:
Back