GT5 having realistic laptimes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Matti_Dude
  • 23 comments
  • 4,159 views
Messages
446
Messages
MattiDaDude
Messages
V12 Matti Dude
I did make a search beforehand just incase there was a thread already about this but I couldn't find one so forgive me if I am wrong.

I'm not sure of KY has mentioned this anywhere before but i'm hoping that some of the laptimes on GT5 will be a lot more realistic than they were in GT4. More specifically I am talking about tracks such as Nurburgring where I've seen videos on youtube of people doing laptimes well under the 5 minute barrier. This to me sounds way too fast for it to be realistic. As far as I'm aware the fastest ever lap around the Nurburgring was something like 6 minutes 30. But these laptime seems easily beatable by plenty of cars. Maybe these crazy laptimes are to do with how you can upgrade a Le Mans race car to go even faster in GT4. Should we be able to upgrade the high-end spec racing cars this much? I'm not sure. But I am hoping that some of the laptimes are a bit more realistic this time around.
 
I hope so, but at the same time, people drive 1000s of times on the NUR-Ring as well any other track, a race car driver sometimes only does it few times practice. Not to mention Race car drivers have to save the car even for lap time so its ready for a race. I think 5:30s could be most realistic, but under 5 minutes is bit over the top. Once damage kicks in, and great tire wear, I think the lap times should drop.
 
The lap record of 6'11 was done in 1983 by a Porsche 956. That's 27 years ago. Think of how much faster a new(er) car, with better tyres and more advanced suspension could do it. Then tune up that car so it would be completely illegal for the series it was competing in, or be so powerful it would be completely unreliable. Then take into account that you cannot die in GT4, can always press start > restart, that you always have perfect track conditions, perfect weather conditions, perfect car condition, no g forces to contend with, etc.

Games should always allow faster lap times than real life, or else they've done it wrong.
 
Yeah of course the laptimes should still be faster, but a sub 4:40 seems a bit extreme to be honest. Especially as it can be done in a car which is 21 years old with a huge turbo in it.
 
The fastest I know of is 4'42, but that was done with maximum power and in arcade mode, and is not representative of what times you should acheive with more realistic physics.

BMW estimated that their F1.06 was capable of lapping in 5'15. So, take away weight, add power and remove fear and g-forces, and you're not going to be far away from sub 5 minutes.

Remember too your assumption is based on GT4's simpler physics. Who knows what laptimes will be achieved in GT5 with professional physics. I'm guessing they will be a lot more realistic than GT4 could manage.
 
Remember too your assumption is based on GT4's simpler physics. Who knows what laptimes will be achieved in GT5 with professional physics. I'm guessing they will be a lot more realistic than GT4 could manage.

In bold, the main point.

If the physics resemble the TT, I dare to say, we struggled to take corners at speed with the TT in Indy, which is a flat and relatively easy track, the ring on the otherside, has the terrible camber changes, bumps, high curbing and poor turn geometry that we love, a too stiff suspension ( Group C cars, F1 cars ) will make things harder (not to say impossible) and increase lap times dramatically.
 
Stock cars fitted with n2 tires were amanzingly close to the real times, the lap times accuracy was one of the things promoted for GT4.

Obviously heavily tuned cars with unrealistic R3 tires are going to get fastest times than any world record in existance.

Things only can go better with GT5.
 
I had a very interesting thing come up in relation to what you are talking about. I watched a Best Motoring video where Motoharu Kurosawa ran the Suzuka track in a Honda Civic Type R. The track configuration was the exact one in GT5P. I took note of the speeds which he took every corner, the speeds on the straights, etc. When I replicate the run in the Integra (closest match) following his driving line and approximate speeds, I still clock the lap much faster than he did, by several seconds. It's almost as if the track distances don't line up or something. There is definitely something missing. Obviously you will always be able to lap faster than even a professional if you use over-gripped tires. Also, you can take chances that you can't take in real life when racing in the game. But something else is throwing off lap times in addition to this. I think the game might not be relating distances and vehicle speed together properly if you ask me.
 
I remember someone saying that slapping N1 tires under the F2007 in prologue,
and taking it for a spin on Fuji, produces realistic lap times.

Haven't tested it myself though.
 
So N1 tires are supposedly the normal tires for every car? I always figured that N1 stood for normal, so every day production cars used them and the number just indicated how soft of a compound they were. Then S1 was used on all sports cars and R1 for race cars etc.
 


Thats what I was going to refer to.

Its true what he says though, if I was actually driving the car and the consequences of taking that corner at Laguna Seca would make me back out of it.

Your always going to be faster on the PS3 because you dont have to worry about killing yourself!
 
Thats what I was going to refer to.

Its true what he says though, if I was actually driving the car and the consequences of taking that corner at Laguna Seca would make me back out of it.

Your always going to be faster on the PS3 because you dont have to worry about killing yourself!

Precisely
 
Your always going to be faster on the PS3 because you dont have to worry about killing yourself!

Not to mention you are also driving under optimal conditions 100% of the time, this is something that never happens in real life.
 
Food for thought

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nürburgring_lap_times
On 28 April 2007, Nick Heidfeld drove a BMW Sauber F1.06 Formula One car around the Nordschleife, on a BMW publicity day in combination with a VLN 4h endurance race.[81] For safety reasons, BMW announced that the car was slowed with hard demonstration tires, maximum ride height, and 275 km/h top speed limited by the transmission. Heidfeld drove three laps on the combined Nordschleife and short GP-track, as used in VLN races, with a track length of 24.433 km (so comparison with older records is difficult).

The official lap time released by BMW Sauber was declared to be 8:34 (thus ca. 30 seconds slower than the fastest Porsche 996 turbo in VLN). The German press duly reported this lap time, yet criticized BMW. In each lap, Heidfeld slowed down once to pose for a slow video truck, at Schwedenkreuz on the first lap 1, Kesselchen in lap 2, and Döttinger Höhe in the last lap. The two time spans in between the three passes of Heidfeld were clocked by some fans around the track, first Wehrseifen to Wehrseifen in about 7:28, then 7:22 from Klostertal to Klostertal, which is over 50 seconds quicker than the fastest current Porsche 997 GT3 RSR in VLN. This translates to an average of about 200 km/h (120 mph), similar to Bellof's record, but considering the slow GP section, Heidfeld probably was faster on the Nordschleife, close to 6 minutes. Fans who respect the official record of the late Stefan Bellof settle for an "estimated 6:12".

Road & Track magazine reported Heidfeld's lap was a 5:57 or 5:58 (for the Nordschleife only), breaking the track's six-minute barrier for the first time in history.[82] However, their times were done by measuring the speed in some corners, and then calculating a lap time, and not timing a full lap. Heidfeld has since expressed his desire to repeat the experience with less restriction.

According to formula one F1 Racing magazine of June 2006, BMW engineers had estimated that a BMW-Sauber F1.06 could lap in under 5:15.8[83] which equals to an average of 237 km/h (147 mph).
 
I'm actually not to bothered about the difference between lap times in real life and GT I just hope the lap times are relative to each other, and they were in the prologue from what I know.
 
I'd say it will probably be pretty close.
Here is me driving a newer version NSX N2 tires, without fear of dying, driving ok line messing up in some parts vs Gan San the legend driving in real life using older model NSXType-R
 
GT4 has what you call standard physics in GT5:P

the grip levels are inflated, and oversteer isn't a big problem. Faster lap times can be had. Switch to Pro Physics and straight off the bat, the car becomes harder to control if your foot is flat on the throttle and even turning slightly. Lap times usually increase by a good 2-5 seconds

And compare GT5:P Pro Physics to Time Trial Pro Physics, and it feels fairly simple and arcadey. That will increase even more time
That's just with a fairly mudane FR car.

Step into a MR, RR and higher powered FR car in GT5 on a tricky track and I'm sure many people will not cut the mustard :)
 
Thats what I was going to refer to.

Its true what he says though, if I was actually driving the car and the consequences of taking that corner at Laguna Seca would make me back out of it.

Your always going to be faster on the PS3 because you dont have to worry about killing yourself!

Not only that but the G-force factor, if you are not totally tuned out of the outside world your body will not respond fast enough or with enough accuracy to maneuver those turns.

Driving down a small mountain pass in the rain in Montreal reminded me of that fear which you simply do not experience or consider in games.
 
I remember someone saying that slapping N1 tires under the F2007 in prologue,
and taking it for a spin on Fuji, produces realistic lap times.

Haven't tested it myself though.

Hi emponator! Nice to see the finnish wave growing here at GTP.
The current online Fuji F1 times are much quicker, about three seconds, than Felipe Massas 1.18.xxx made in 2008. And at least 207 ;) people in the world can break Massa's time in that one lap today, virtually ofcourse. Those three seconds are eternity in F1 and therefore the fear factor just can't explain the difference alone...

-finbaek
 
the fear factor just can't explain the difference alone...

-finbaek

As I mentioned earlier, in GT you are always racing in optimal conditions. There are a lot of variables that aren't present in the GT series that you would find in real life(i.e. wind, track temp., air temp., rubber on the track etc...).
 
The F1 car in GT5:P isn't modelled properly due to the simple physics engine. The car has way too much grip. It's like PD just added the aero effect by increasing overall grip, even at low speed, so when you run onto the grass the wheels won't even slip!
 
Back