GT5 is in need of custom wheel dimensions.

United States
CA
LuxxusPrime
I love me some GT5 but the one thing that grinds my gears are the incorrect wheel dimensions. It seems that the wheel tuck for each car is completely wrong. I don't need an extremely wide rim, I just need an aftermarket rim that sits flush. I am so sick of looking at my Nissan R33 and noticing the lack of width on the wheels. Every R33 in real life, when lowered on aftermarkets, has the most intimidating bulldog stance. Even the lip of the stock wheels line up with the fender edge. I know there has been many post discussing wheel dimensions but I really think this is a huge issue. Notice the stance on the Amuse Z, it's perfect. Why is it so hard to push the wheels out a little more on some cars in an update? Forza did it, arcade-ish or not. Car lovers like to admire there digital cars as if they are real. The photomode is amazing but we need more options to customize our cars. They say it is the driving simulator and not the ricer simulator, but why on earth is there a photomode? The only thing creative is paint. The best part about tuning a car is rim visuals. Every tuner,muscle or import, knows that rim decision and dimensions are key as far as a cars character. We don't just want simulation we want the entire lifestyle.

Feel free to vent my fellow GT5 lovers. Lets try to gather some post so I can send some PD developers I know some ideas. We gotta get it done before GT6

So you mean the wheel offsets are too high in most cases? If so I agree. Some cars wheels are just sunk into the body an look terrible.

saleenf5
So you mean the wheel offsets are too high in most cases? If so I agree. Some cars wheels are just sunk into the body an look terrible.

Exactly, sunk in like a fat girls tv couch. It's so irritating.

Hahah I agree with this thread 100 percent, gt-rs are some of the worst. We need to be able to adjust these things. On a related note we also NEED watanabes and other classic JDM style wheels - huge TE-37s on a Hakosuka or Alfa GTA Sprint look ridiculous. We get Classic american style wheels for the muscle cars how about something for classic cars from other countries. But being stuck with the stock tire width is just unacceptable.

Meat would be nice
tumblr_lxdfbyw7uS1r82aa8o1_500.png

Last edited:
This is just another case of PD being lazy, or just not caring about it. It's strange that they didn't show more attention to it considering the whole "stance" scene is so big in Japan.

And it's not just the offset of the wheels etc, but the selection we have entirely, it's a joke. PD got companies like BBS, SSR, Volk, Prodrive, and only have 1 or 2 wheels from each company? That right there is being lazy IMO.

A width and offset slider could easily be implimented into the game. We also need more adjustment when it comes to Fully Customizable suspenion. Some cars can be lowered 20mm, some 25mm, some 30mm. That totally detracts from the suspension being "fully customizable".

CCXRacer
Hahah I agree with this thread 100 percent, gt-rs are some of the worst. We need to be able to adjust these things. On a related note we also NEED watanabes and other classic JDM style wheels - huge TE-37s on a Hakosuka or Alfa GTA Sprint look ridiculous. We get Classic american style wheels for the muscle cars how about something for classic cars from other countries. But being stuck with the stock tire width is just unacceptable.

Tell me about it. TE-37s are a must for any skyline. Why do they look so cheap and flat in the game? It's such a serious crime to me. Why the hell are there any japanese style tuner rims available for american muscle? It's ridiculous.

Rdp616
This is just another case of PD being lazy, or just not caring about it. It's strange that they didn't show more attention to it considering the whole "stance" scene is so big in Japan.

And it's not just the offset of the wheels etc, but the selection we have entirely, it's a joke. PD got companies like BBS, SSR, Volk, Prodrive, and only have 1 or 2 wheels from each company? That right there is being lazy IMO.

A width and offset slider could easily be implimented into the game. We also need more adjustment when it comes to Fully Customizable suspenion. Some cars can be lowered 20mm, some 25mm, some 30mm. That totally detracts from the suspension being "fully customizable".

Lazy is the correct word. Lol

They say it is the driving simulator and not the ricer simulator

Did you actually read what you posted? It's a complete contradiction. :lol:

The best part about tuning a car is rim visuals.

You're driving a car, you don't see rims. Driving simulator, like you said it's not, not ricer simulator, like you're hoping for.

We don't just want simulation we want the entire lifestyle.

Buy a real R33? :confused:

We implies the whole of GT's fan base. I don't want an entire lifestyle, I have my own.

I don't need an extremely wide rim, I just need an aftermarket rim that sits flush. I am so sick of looking at my Nissan R33 and noticing the lack of width on the wheels.

Erm...didn't you mention that Photomode was pointless?

but why on earth is there a photomode?

Yep.

So how will you view these 'cool' rims without using Photomode? Do you drive your real car with your head out of the window looking at the wheels go round?

Agreed. The all the BBS rims, the RE30(?), TE37. ****. Just about every rim in the game is almost 2D. I want my DEEEEEEEP DISH.

And talking of offsets the premium S15s wheel are so far inside the body and putting any negative camber on them makes the effect even worse!

Yeah such a shame, especially considering japanese wheels are some of the nicest designs in the world, you'd think they would want to show off just how good cars can look with their wheels. They modelled one version of the wheels and they picked the ugliest in the case of the TE37 and a few more.
I also agree with the other comments like the wheels selection for older cars or US cars have no thought gone into them at all.
I would also add having tyre sizes separate to wheel sizes so people could get just the right look for their car, depending on if they like balloon tyres or stretched or whatever.

I'm not going to say that PD are lazy. That's just short-sighted.
I will say that we should be able to spec the size of rubber, from tread width to profile height and overall diameter. Changing the track widths by fiddling with offsets would be nice, too.

The problem is that the physics engine / tyre model, as they are, would probably fall apart if they introduced these options. So, PD need to create a whole new tyre model and be able to correctly model the effects on the suspension that modified wheel geometry will have, before they can add them. Maybe. Sure, the game manual has stated since GT2 that changing the wheels affects the unsprung mass etc., I'm still not convinced it actually does anything in the game, though.

Yeah, they need to do a lot of work before these things will actually work in-game. Wanting to do it properly is probably the opposite of laziness.

Tell me about it. TE-37s are a must for any skyline. Why do they look so cheap and flat in the game? It's such a serious crime to me. Why the hell are there any japanese style tuner rims available for american muscle? It's ridiculous.

Ray's TE37's are available in various sizes, PD randomly plucked one to use in GT5 and stupidly decided to go with flat ones over larger TE37's with concave spokes. Ah well.

*sigh*

More people worried about looks. GT5, the real photoshop simulator. :/

Nope, it's not only about the looks. Wheel offset and size/weight of wheels should be simulated correctly... These aspects have important effects on real racing cars. If not, they would be using hubcaps in stock offset.

Plus, the whole experience is important. I do want my car or racing car to look badass.

W3HS
Did you actually read what you posted? It's a complete contradiction. :lol:

You're driving a car, you don't see rims. Driving simulator, like you said it's not, not ricer simulator, like you're hoping for.

Buy a real R33? :confused:

We implies the whole of GT's fan base. I don't want an entire lifestyle, I have my own.

Erm...didn't you mention that Photomode was pointless?

Yep.

So how will you view these 'cool' rims without using Photomode? Do you drive your real car with your head out of the window looking at the wheels go round?

Yes i love how sexy a car looks and i like to just stare at the side of the car while eating. I love visuals... Is there a problem. Dont have a photomode when all the cars look the same besides paint. Photos are for customizers buddy. You ever heard of the dub show. People look at cars like women dummy. Yea yea make it fast...then what? In a game give us all the bells and whistles.

diegorborges
Nope, it's not only about the looks. Wheel offset and size/weight of wheels should be simulated correctly... These aspects have important effects on real racing cars. If not, they would be using hubcaps in stock offset.

Plus, the whole experience is important. I do want my car or racing car to look badass.

Perfect point that is exactly what the issue is. Everything is on point besides wheel geometry.

I'm not going to say that PD are lazy. That's just short-sighted.
I will say that we should be able to spec the size of rubber, from tread width to profile height and overall diameter. Changing the track widths by fiddling with offsets would be nice, too.

The problem is that the physics engine / tyre model, as they are, would probably fall apart if they introduced these options. So, PD need to create a whole new tyre model and be able to correctly model the effects on the suspension that modified wheel geometry will have, before they can add them. Maybe. Sure, the game manual has stated since GT2 that changing the wheels affects the unsprung mass etc., I'm still not convinced it actually does anything in the game, though.

Yeah, they need to do a lot of work before these things will actually work in-game. Wanting to do it properly is probably the opposite of laziness.

You sir, get a thumbs up.

As brilliant as your post was in identifying the misuse of the word "lazy" , I will add that I believe this will be feature introduced in GT6.

Last edited:
Back