gt5 is just a stepping stone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter shinbone
  • 18 comments
  • 1,448 views
Messages
473
Messages
tiernasligo
I think it is a great game but does anyone else feel this way? I think PD needs the PS4 to come out for Gran Turismo 6 because of the limitations of the ps3, which makes gt5 seem like a stepping stone to gt6 as shown by the 800 ps2 imported cars. Your thoughts?
 
Then they spend the same amount of time coding for PS4 with 1000+ imported cars from GT5?
 
A stepping stone? Maybe, but there is still a sheer cliff face between that stepping stone and the (theoretical) PS/4, much less GT6.

I think the key to GT5 not being the typical "release it and move on to the next installment" console game is whether they can generate enough revenue in the PlayStation Store from DLC (cars, parts, tracks, etc.) to justify continued patches to fix bugs and add features that keep people interested enough to keep buying DLC in the PlayStation Store (hopefully this doesn't develop into a catch-22 situation).
 
Then they spend the same amount of time coding for PS4 with 1000+ imported cars from GT5?

One of the main problems with the game according to Yamuachi was that the ps3 couldn't handle everything he wanted to include. He said we could expect the premium cars in gt5, in gt6 as the regular cars.
 
I agree.. the reason that there is no face tracking in GT Life is because of lack of memory.. same I believe goes for lack of dirt staying on cars when you finnish the race thus rendering the car wash useless. Seems like they put all the stuff in but could not implement it because the PS3 could not run smoothly or at all with everything running at the same time..
 
I agree.. the reason that there is no face tracking in GT Life is because of lack of memory.. same I believe goes for lack of dirt staying on cars when you finnish the race thus rendering the car wash useless. Seems like they put all the stuff in but could not implement it because the PS3 could not run smoothly or at all with everything running at the same time..

shame but u never know. they are still working on the game and releasing big patches so im not worried. i feel like this will be one of the greatest games ever created once its done.
 
shame but u never know. they are still working on the game and releasing big patches so im not worried. i feel like this will be one of the greatest games ever created once its done.

I feel like they should do something right the first time so i dont have to download a new update ever 2 weeks.
When i build an engine for a customer i dont tell them to come back in two weeks so i can put there new valves in.
 
Just like in other businesses, depends how much money they are willing to spend to make more. How far they push the technology depends on how many racer "wannabes" buy the game.

They won't make dramatic improvements if no profit.
 
The game scream for more power, and the ps3 can't deliver. I agree this game is just a transition and is vastly inferior to gt4 if you consider their respective hardware.
 
I feel like they should do something right the first time so i dont have to download a new update ever 2 weeks.
When i build an engine for a customer i dont tell them to come back in two weeks so i can put there new valves in.

I see what you are saying but to be realistic there are only so many parts in an engine even a big old V8 with all those pushrods. Where as there is no limit to the amount of code and variables in a program. I have done both in over the years (building cars and writing code) and I tell you sorting out a ruff running engine has always been easier than finding a bugging line of code, well if it's a real engine with a carb and a distributor
 
Last edited:
I think it is a great game but does anyone else feel this way? I think PD needs the PS4 to come out for Gran Turismo 6 because of the limitations of the ps3, which makes gt5 seem like a stepping stone to gt6 as shown by the 800 ps2 imported cars. Your thoughts?

It's what makes the technology World go round... There will always be compromises, and there will always be hardware limitations. Software developers can either play safe and work well within the limits of the hardware, or stretch the capabilities and run the risk of running out of time and/or power.

The OP statement could be future-proofed as:

"I think it is a great game but does anyone else feel this way? I think PD needs the PS<x+1> to come out for Gran Turismo <y+1> because of the limitations of the ps<x>, which makes gt<y> seem like a stepping stone to gt<y+1> as shown by the <z> hundred ps<x-1> imported cars. Your thoughts?"
 
If he had left it at 720p he might have had more power left to play with under the shinney graphics
 
This thread smacks of the OP trying exceptionally hard to cling onto the notion that GT5's seemingly mangled development and standard cars fiasco are somehow part of KY's divine plan where the clouds will part and a perfect ground-breaking GT title will issue forth from the magical bosom of PD.

PD/Sony over-promised and under-delivered. It happened. The game is made by humans. They misjudged or plain messed up many things this time. Going by Kaz's tone pre and post release, I feel there is a tiny bit of humble pie eating going on at PD right now, which is at least a good sign, but not evidence they actually know how to do better next time.

But GT5 will hopefully improve. Will GT6 be amazing? Will PD get to grips with PS4 easily? Who knows, but the review scores have been on a downward curve since GT3, so I won't expect miracles as I personally think the golden age of PD and GT has passed.

I think the whole 'game' aspect of GT would need a HUGE shake up if it is to confidently reclaim it's racing game throne in the future. A lot of the cobwebs and poor game design eccentricities would need to be shaken out.
 
I think the whole 'game' aspect of GT would need a HUGE shake up if it is to confidently reclaim it's racing game throne in the future. A lot of the cobwebs and poor game design eccentricities would need to be shaken out.

This is definitely the game's biggest failing, but take heart that none of this is hard to fix. Putting better restrictions on events, more events like the old days, menu-based weirdness, tuning a car without reloading the track, fixing the broken XP/CR progression.. they could do all this in a couple of weeks. Surprisingly that they haven't done already, honestly. But I'm sure that if it's not a patch job, GT6 (on the PS3) will not be far away and will be a lot, lot better. GT5's biggest problems aren't processing power related.
 
I think gt5 is like gt1 and 3 and gt6 will be like gt 2 and 4.
 
Am i not the only one who wonders if they have NOT gone and done a Forza??? Filled up one disc, so spent huge amounts of money coding AND printing a second disc for every box? I think GT5 may have reached the limits of Blu-Ray space, so instead of Keeping what is truly a staggeringly amazing (ly late also) game behind bars, they give it to us, whilst repairing all the smaller niggles for everyone through the updates. At least we didnt like have to wait for an entire other disc to install for the standard cars or something like that.
 
I think we would see GT6 during the ps3 life, hopefully they give standard rims for all used cars, and RM for all Preimums, and please more aero dynamic kits?

Why cant i color code my black(ugly) bumper lip on my skyline R32 & R34, I really want to do this :D If possible, be able to add N1 vents:crazy::dopey:
 
One of the main problems with the game according to Yamuachi was that the ps3 couldn't handle everything he wanted to include. He said we could expect the premium cars in gt5, in gt6 as the regular cars.


The main problems of the game are the standard cars, lack of tracks compared to GT4 and very very few events for a Gran Turismo game, none of which are PS3-related.
 
I think we would see GT6 during the ps3 life, hopefully they give standard rims for all used cars, and RM for all Preimums, and please more aero dynamic kits?

Why cant i color code my black(ugly) bumper lip on my skyline R32 & R34, I really want to do this :D If possible, be able to add N1 vents:crazy::dopey:

Pff i hope they take RM out completely and just add all options to the tunning so you can buy them part by part and then add a livery editor so you can make it look the way you want it. I think that GT6 probably wont be on ps3 no more after seeing GT5 severely limited by the ps3s RAM...
 
Back