GT5 needs proper telemetry

  • Thread starter Thread starter plate88
  • 22 comments
  • 3,804 views

plate88

Premium
Messages
889
Messages
plate88
This is my biggest gripe about GT5. It does have somewhat of a telemetry system with g-forces and throttle/brake inputs, but nothing in the way of suspension. I don't even mess with tuning cars. I just look up the tunes on gtp so I don't have to do the trial and error.

We should have a set-up with ride height, tire load, tire temp(inside,middle,outer), brake temp, spring/shock, and thats just to name a few. Sounds like alot, but these things are needed to tune cars to perfection.

Being a "sim" level game, I feel it needs some proper telemetry. Feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on why we do or don't need telemetry.
 
I sincerely doubt that GT5 even records or begins to approach anything like that, but yes, it should.
 
If GT5 has a proper physics and tyre model, showing what it's doing shouldn't be a huge effort.
 
Yes it should have it. It will NEVER happen though im afraid :(
 
I think it will happen sooner or later. PD will have to in order to keep up with the competition, who's already doing a lot better job right now.
 
Suspension setting is a bit of trial and error as it is, so some telemetry of that would be good I suppose.

Although it's quite spectacular to race with someone who has too low ride height, with all the sparks :)
 
Putting too much of "simulation" to GT5 will make it anything else but a game. As if the settings available now are not enough. If you need a close-to-life simulator then you'll have to look outside the PS3 alley...
 
Not necessarily, there are plenty other games out there that feature a lot more tuning options and still manage to maintain a balance between being a game and a sim. But I have to agree, adding more options is useless (and counter-productive even) unless they are implemented properly.
 
I think that GT5 physics are great. If they were very realistic lots of people would go away and play other games, not only but also because those people don't have racing wheels (like me). Telemetry would be good though.
 
I think that GT5 physics are great.
They could adopt many improvements in several areas like collisions, tire model, airborne dynamics, suspension model, drivetrain (including limited slip differentials), etc. There's a lot of potential for improvement.

If they were very realistic lots of people would go away and play other games,
That's ridiculous. That realistic physics would imply that people would be turned away due to driving difficulty is a common misconception. First of all, there are optional driving assists (including steering and throttle/brake assists that can't be disabled on joypads) that help greatly inexperienced drivers. Secondly, realistic physics actually mean that cars are more predictable, handling more consistently with reality and real life experience and therefore are actually easier to control. Heck, GT is supposed to be a simulator! Why do people have to push for a further dumbed down driving model, that's out of my comprehension.

This being said, I'd like to see more advanced telemetry, including first of all actually useful charts with properly configurable grids and scales, an easier and quicker way to compare laps (I find this overly complex to do in GT5 for some reason), an option to export data in text/tabular format for processing/analysis in external programs, and of course many more parameters to monitor.
 
Yes! Something like on Shift 2 where you can show it at a push of a button
 
Excuse me, but what are you on about?
 
I don't think telemetry is a must have for this game. And, I think the trial and error part of set ups is kind of fun.
 
Yev
Excuse me, but what are you on about?

GT5s data logger and telemetry is useless for tuning the car. The data logger can be used to assess driver performance, but nothing more (it doesn't show any car data, just driver inputs and G-forces). Shift 2 on the other hand shows things like tyre temperatures, brake temperatures, suspension travel, etc., so for instance you can easily see if you lowered the car too much or the camber is not right or you need to lower/raise tyre pressure or brake pressure. And you can see it live (via HUD), while you are driving, not afterwards. 👍
 
Preferably, one should be able to save the data, and analyze it on something like motec, on a pc. By data, I mean all of the data gt5 uses, like suspension travel, dampener velocity, ride height, tire slip percentage, and so on.


I don't think implementing this would be very difficult, you would just need to have it dump the data to a file.


Telemetry is not just useful for tuning the suspension, but is also a very valuable tool to improve ones lap times. Yes I know you can look at the speed, and so on on the current telemetry in the game, among other driver input, but you cannot easily compare laps between different drivers, or compare laps, easily period.


Adding this would not take away anything from the people who don't use it. If you want to tune a car by using a random number generator, or trial and error or whatever, you could still do so.


There really are no cons of this, no reasons I can see of not doing it.
(Sorry for the jumpy post, I need to get some sleep)
 
Preferably, one should be able to save the data, and analyze it on something like motec, on a pc. By data, I mean all of the data gt5 uses, like suspension travel, dampener velocity, ride height, tire slip percentage, and so on.

That would be good... but don't forget that for tuning it's very useful to see the data in real-time too!
 
This is my biggest gripe about GT5. It does have somewhat of a telemetry system with g-forces and throttle/brake inputs, but nothing in the way of suspension. I don't even mess with tuning cars. I just look up the tunes on gtp so I don't have to do the trial and error.

We should have a set-up with ride height, tire load, tire temp(inside,middle,outer), brake temp, spring/shock, and thats just to name a few. Sounds like alot, but these things are needed to tune cars to perfection.

Being a "sim" level game, I feel it needs some proper telemetry. Feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on why we do or don't need telemetry.

GT5 needs a lot of things in my book it needs a menu like Forza where everything works fluently here's an example of how everything is integrated like it should in a racing simulator.



 
Last edited:
After a race, you can view g-forces, etc by clicking "Analyse Data". They should place the telemetry there.
 
Ugh, I agree so much. There is so much PD can learn from the guys making Forza, but telemetry is a huge part. I remember the live telemetry being a huge help when it came to tuning. Not only could I tell what specific part of my tire was overheating first, so I could tune camber to my liking, but it gave the specific temperature to fractions of a degree. It told me where the weight was and when, exactly how much the suspension was compressing and I'm pretty sure it could have been used to prove that the rapture was BS.
 
GT5s data logger and telemetry is useless for tuning the car. The data logger can be used to assess driver performance, but nothing more (it doesn't show any car data, just driver inputs and G-forces). Shift 2 on the other hand shows things like tyre temperatures, brake temperatures, suspension travel, etc., so for instance you can easily see if you lowered the car too much or the camber is not right or you need to lower/raise tyre pressure or brake pressure. And you can see it live (via HUD), while you are driving, not afterwards. 👍

Thanks.
It'd be a nice addition.
 
Back